PDA

View Full Version : Particles - Speed Limitation?

devin
04-05-2007, 11:14 AM
Hi,

First let me start out by saying that I'm a newb at particles. That being said, I've been playing with settings non-stop for two days and I can't seem to get the effect I'm seeking. I need a very quick spritz of particles, almost like sparks quickly flying up from the ground and then falling again. I've been unable to balance the settings so that I get the proper speed for this effect. I guess that I have gotten the speed but only with the particles flying off into the distance. I need the same speed within a concentrated area...like a quick spurt for a small fountain. Am I just clueless or is this a limitation?

Thanks,
Devin

prospector
04-05-2007, 11:32 AM
Trying to get your idea, you need same speed up as going down?
Same speed leaving emitter as traveling?

Gotta scenefile?

Sensei
04-05-2007, 11:39 AM
I've been playing with particles (surface not sprite) during making special hair rendering mode for TrueHair.. And from my experience 2 milion particles renders twice time as 1 milion.. Looks like it's linear.. That's all way below needs for real good looking hairs, which is something like 7-15 milion particles/traditional polygons equivalent.. Also size of single particles has very important impact on render times, smaller render faster even with the same number of particles in scene..

toby
04-05-2007, 12:06 PM
Hi,

First let me start out by saying that I'm a newb at particles. That being said, I've been playing with settings non-stop for two days and I can't seem to get the effect I'm seeking. I need a very quick spritz of particles, almost like sparks quickly flying up from the ground and then falling again. I've been unable to balance the settings so that I get the proper speed for this effect. I guess that I have gotten the speed but only with the particles flying off into the distance. I need the same speed within a concentrated area...like a quick spurt for a small fountain. Am I just clueless or is this a limitation?

Thanks,
Devin
What you need for sparks is to pop out fast but then deccelerate very quickly, then fall to the ground. For this you need a high velocity with a high resistance. Resistance is basically air resistance, that will slow them down. You'll have to find a balance yourself, it all depends on the scene and look you want.

devin
04-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Love the forums. Particle resistance (and a bit of balancing) was the key! I really appreciate the help. I was sweating trying to get this project out before the powers that be started getting ansty. Thanks again!

devin

toby
04-05-2007, 10:06 PM
I'm glad that helped, it can be really tricky even when you have some understandng of it - I wasn't completely sure I gave you enough info!