PDA

View Full Version : UV map across discontinuous edges

hdace
04-04-2007, 10:54 PM
I haven't done a head for a long time, but I used to do them regularly. I remember in 8.5 I would create a new map of just a human head selecting cylindrical & across disontinuous edges. I would get a map that I could screen shot (how do you screen shot on a PC? I always used apple+shift 4 on a Mac, can you do it on a PC?) and take it into Photoshop to start painting.

In version 9 I just get a bunch of points with a "non-unfolded" poly image of the head to the lower-left corner of the uv map window. In other words, the polys are completely disconnected from the points. What the heck am I supposed to do with this? How am I supposed to export a guide to photoshop so I can paint accurately?

And even if I wasn't painting, it would make it much harder to manipulate the map later on to fine tune it if I can't see which points are conneted to which.

Thanks for any tips, Hal

hdace
04-07-2007, 01:54 PM
Hasn't anyone else got a problem with this? Please, SOMEONE SAY SOMETHING!!!

Dirk
04-07-2007, 02:36 PM
I don't know about cylindrical & across disontinuous edges, but UVs are best made with the UV PLG plugs, they are fantastic (and free):

http://www.flay.com/getdetail.cfm?ID=2309

screenshots are made with the "print"-key. Just press for a screenshot and paste in Photoshop.

hdace
04-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Thanks, both comments very helpful.

hdace
04-08-2007, 10:22 AM
Thanks again, Dirk. PLG make uv totally sorted my problem, and my head's face looks terrific now.

Dirk
04-09-2007, 02:48 AM
Yes, the nice thing is how PLG relaxes the UV, it really minimzes distortions.

Surrealist.
04-09-2007, 06:58 PM
I would get a map that I could screen shot (how do you screen shot on a PC? I always used apple+shift 4 on a Mac, can you do it on a PC?) and take it into Photoshop to start painting.

You can also export your UV window as an EPSF file that you can import into photoshop. Can be much better res than a screen shot. Find it in the file/export menu.

Set the settings there and you can have it only export the UV window or any other windows you choose or all windows.

jeremyhardin
04-10-2007, 05:52 AM
on both mac and PC, you can use UV Imaginator (http://www.3dcybercorp.com/software/uvimaginator/index.html) to save the UV view to an image and bring the image into photoshop for painting.

hdace
04-10-2007, 12:08 PM
Cheers mate! Always knew there must be something available like that, but could never find reference to it anywhere. Not even on flay. Guess I was using the wrong search terms.