PDA

View Full Version : Depth of Field Using Advanced Camera?

Giacomo99
04-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Hello-

As far as I can tell, the Advanced Camera doesn't render depth of field. You can type in the settings, but it just doesn't work.

Am I missing something? Please advise.

Jarno
04-04-2007, 11:34 PM
You're not missing anything. The Advanced Camera doesn't do depth of field. It's really hard, if not impossible, to define mathematically what the user expects the DoF to be computed like for all possible combinations of settings.

---JvdL---

Dave Jerrard
04-05-2007, 03:07 AM
For some simpler effects, like spherical and cylindrical modes, it should be able to do this, but then again, you can get these with third party camera plugins, like those from CoolMuseum (http://colm.jp/plug/).

As Jarno mentioned, DOF can't always be calculated for every case in the Advanced Camera. Using a mesh, for example, to define how the rays trace the scene would result in a sampling pattern that doesn't support DOF; each ray is individually aimed at in a specific direction determined by the mesh it's fired from.

That said, there's tricks you can do within the Advanced Camera to simulate DOF through the use of motion blur and animated settings, but you're likely to completely lose any real-world photographic relations since those would not apply.

He Who Wishes Spherical And Cylindrical Cameras Were Standard Camera Types.

Giacomo99
04-05-2007, 06:46 AM
Bummer. I was hoping I could get the subtle spherical distortion AND the depth-of-field of a "real" camera lens.

Thanks for the explanations, though. I'm not exactly sure how ray direction would affect DOF, but then, I have absolutely no idea what the entire "ray direction" section in the Advanced Camera properties window is for anyway. As stated above, all I want is spherical distortion and DOF in a single render--I suspect Dave's closing wish that "Spherical And Cylindrical Cameras Were Standard Camera Types" is what I'm looking for.

Oh well. I guess I'll have to fake it some other way.

PS. Dave-Thanks for the CoolMuseum link, but I'm on a Mac.

toby
04-05-2007, 12:17 PM
Would XDof work in this example?

Dave Jerrard
04-05-2007, 03:16 PM
Bummer. I was hoping I could get the subtle spherical distortion AND the depth-of-field of a "real" camera lens.Have you tried one of the 14mm fisheye lenses in the Real Lens camera? Even some of the standard lenses provide a slight amount of that spherical distortion.

He Who Still Wishes Those Cameras Were Standard, And Texturable.

gerardstrada
04-05-2007, 11:21 PM
Would XDof work in this example?

Yes Toby, X-Dof works perfectly with Advanced Camera (spherical and cylindrical)

Bummer. I was hoping I could get the subtle spherical distortion AND the depth-of-field of a "real" camera lens

a 14 mm fish lens could work as Dave says. Other way could be using Cushion Camera (http://perso.orange.fr/dpont/plugins/Cushion_Camera.html) from the prolific Denis Pontonnier.

Gerardo

Giacomo99
04-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Have you tried one of the 14mm fisheye lenses in the Real Lens camera? Even some of the standard lenses provide a slight amount of that spherical distortion.

What is the "Real Lens" Camera? A keyword search for "Real Lens" in both the LW9 PDF manual and the LW9 Flash-based help file returns exactly nothing. Please advise.

voriax
04-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Real Lens camera is a LW 9.2 feature. Sign up for the beta program :D