PDA

View Full Version : Aligning objects in layout

vteditor
04-04-2007, 02:43 PM
I expect this is so obvious it's why I can't see it!

But how do you align objects in layout, other than manually moving them?
I.e. is it possible to pick two objects and click align etc etc.

I can only see how to do it in modler, which is fine but I'm trying to put a null object in the centre of a sphere!

FilSmith
04-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Go into the graph editor.

Have object A (object with wanted location) and object B (object to be moved) loaded into the graph editor together (x,y, & z position).

Click on X for object A...right click "copy"
Click on X for object B...right click "paste"

repeat for y and z positions too.

I mostly use this to copy all keyframes for an object to another to have them exactly the same in some regard.

A bit tedious but not really. If it's only two objects you are dealing with. There is probably a better way but that is all I know and would use myself. Hope that helps.

vteditor
04-04-2007, 05:20 PM
Thanks I'll give it a go, it's better than trying to do it by eye!.

Surrealist.
04-04-2007, 06:38 PM
I expect this is so obvious it's why I can't see it!

But how do you align objects in layout, other than manually moving them?
I.e. is it possible to pick two objects and click align etc etc.

I can only see how to do it in modler, which is fine but I'm trying to put a null object in the centre of a sphere!

It depends on why you want the null there. If you want you can parent it to the sphere with parent in place off and it will snap to the sphere's pivot location. If that is at the center of the sphere that would work assuming you want the null to stay there or continue to be oriented there and you can still animate it.

You can also save and load motions with the object selected.

You can also copy and paste right in the numeric fields with right click. Similar to the graph editor idea.

I am sure there are more ways too, just not thinking of it right now.

jin choung
04-04-2007, 10:00 PM
unfortunately, there is not a more robust alignment system inside layout. there are some excellent solutions inside modeler (lwcad being a great one) but sometimes you want your components to be "zeroed out" in modeler and then aligned into final position in layout.

i've always felt this to be a lack and one of the problems with separated apps. i hope they can address this at some point if lw continues as a segregated app.

jin

vteditor
04-05-2007, 06:02 AM
It depends on why you want the null there. If you want you can parent it to the sphere with parent in place off and it will snap to the sphere's pivot location. If that is at the center of the sphere that would work assuming you want the null to stay there or continue to be oriented there and you can still animate it.

You can also save and load motions with the object selected.

You can also copy and paste right in the numeric fields with right click. Similar to the graph editor idea.

I am sure there are more ways too, just not thinking of it right now.

The Parenting idea will work, what I'm trying to achieve is this.

I have four spheres that orbit the earth. for the first orbit of each sphere, there is a disc in front of it with video on, the disc is parented to the null rather than the sphere so that as the sphere orbits the disc is kept targeting the camera, at the moment I placed the null visually, then parented it to the null that gives the sphere it's orbit...which is parented to a second null that gives pitch to the orbit.
The only thing I'll have to check is that if I parent the disc's null to the sphere will it rotate with the sphere as the sphere rotates on it's own axis as well.....I guess if it does I just un parent and re parent back to it's oringal as now it will have moved into the dead centre of the sphere anyway.

Surrealist.
04-05-2007, 01:20 PM
If you unparent it will snap back into place.

But I think you can just work this very simply for what you want to achieve.

For this you can set up the null a little differently.

Orbit Null

This is the master null that orbits the planet. It does not rotate on it's axis it ONLY orbits the planet.

Parent the sphere to this null and rotate the sphere on it's own axis.

Parent the disc to the Orbit null. It can now target the camera and thus rotate independently.

However, if you were to parent it to the planet I think targeting it would override it's rotations but setting it up as I descridbed is cleaner and makes sure that the calculations don't get messed up. You can play with it.

If you need the disc to move off of the sphere later you can do that with this set up as well. But also there is a plugin you can experiment with called perenter I believe in the motion options add modifier. It does dynamic parenting. This means you can shift the parenting to another object at a given keyframe. But it will jump to the new location in some situations. So if you set a null next it or in the same location at the point in the animation where you want it to switch that can make the transition smoother.

jin choung
04-05-2007, 01:29 PM
hmmm....

if you turn on PARENT IN PLACE after you parent (without it), it should stay where it was when parented... i believe.

jin

vteditor
04-05-2007, 01:53 PM
hmmm....

if you turn on PARENT IN PLACE after you parent (without it), it should stay where it was when parented... i believe.

jin

Don't seem to have the Parent in Place option. I'm using LW8.5!!

jin choung
04-05-2007, 01:57 PM
it's been there for a while... since 6 or 7.

my menu setup is pretty customized so i can't tell you where to find it but look around. it's there.

it should be a button on the main interface.

luck.

jin

vteditor
04-05-2007, 02:12 PM
I must be missing something, to parent an object I just hit m on the keyboard to bring up the Motion Options panel.
I'm using the default menus. have even looked at the customise options and can't see it listed!!!

Matt
04-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Considering Layout is called LAYOUT, it is missing some VITAL functions for actually laying out objects!

What it needs is an align panel like the one in Adobe Illustrator (attached).

It would be easy to write an lscript to do this if Layout had the function that Modeler has for working out the bounding box of an object/selection. I'm not sure if it has, anyone know?

SP00
04-05-2007, 03:47 PM
I think there are plug-in available, I ran into them a while back, but I never pick it up since I was still learning modeler at the time.

TSpyrison
04-10-2007, 09:19 AM
Considering Layout is called LAYOUT, it is missing some VITAL functions for actually laying out objects!

What it needs is an align panel like the one in Adobe Illustrator (attached).

It would be easy to write an lscript to do this if Layout had the function that Modeler has for working out the bounding box of an object/selection. I'm not sure if it has, anyone know?

Yes!! Exactly!

And an option to rotate to align with another object too..

Amurrell
04-10-2007, 12:04 PM
Agreed that it would be a BIG help in Layout if there were good alignment tools. I remember working with XSI a while back and just loving the align to surface, object, what-have-you tool for placing objects into a scene, and wishing LightWave had this feature as well. Would speed up the populating of a scene.

Surrealist.
04-10-2007, 12:52 PM
OK so regarding this scene set up. Parenting nulls that way I described will work I believe.

You don't want to mess with parenting and then unparenting. Though the object will stay in place with the tip jin gave - thank you :) - it is not want you need to pull this scene off I think.

If you were just trying to align something this would be completely workable. You need to know where this button is though when setting things up.

Press o for the options panel. In the General Tab about 1/3 down from the top on the right is a checkbox next to Parent in Place.

With this on,(checked) it will keep the object where it is and parent it to the object you select as parent.

If it is off (unchecked) it will snap to the center of the object.

If you go on over to the display tab you can select multiple viewports. If you make one of them Schematic you can lay out all of your items in a logical manner and set up your parenting. Here you can just select an object by clicking on it then clt click on another object to parent it. To unparent simply ctl click on an open space in the viewport.

If for instance you want the sphere to rotate around the planet do this:

Create a null that is at the center of the planet. Move the sphere off to where you want to have it orbit and parent it to the null with parent in place on. Then rotate the null and the sphere will orbit.

To have something parented to the sphere turn parent in place off and it will snap to the center of the sphere. You can then move it into location.

Then of course I gave you ideas on how to use nulls to have the disc not rotate with the sphere.

Hope this helps.

vteditor
04-11-2007, 07:32 AM
@Richard.

Many thanks, have found it now, I basically had the nulls set up right but it was just the alignment that was giving me the problem, all working sweetly now......and now i have it sorted it's one less thing to comp in AE