PDA

View Full Version : New Photoshop 3D Painter plugin (not CS3)

AbnRanger
04-04-2007, 07:41 AM
Just saw this at CGSociety.com. And it works from PS 7-CS3

http://features.cgsociety.org/story.php?story_id=4004

JamesCurtis
04-04-2007, 10:08 AM
Cooool!!! Thanks for the info. Downloaded the plugin, and will try the trial out for now.

kfiram
04-04-2007, 04:22 PM
Anybody had any success running the thing?
Just downloaded and installed on 3 different machines.
Crashes Photoshop (CS as well as CS2) on any attempt to load an object file.

PixelDust
04-04-2007, 06:22 PM
I'm confused... the CG Society article says this works on .LWOs and other formats, but the Electric Iris page said it only paints on NURBS models at the moment and sub-d's aren't supported yet. And IIRC, .LWOs aren't NURBS...

Lottmedia
04-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Sounds like using that money to upgrade Photoshop is money better spent (and it's cheaper)

Casey :cat:

jin choung
04-04-2007, 08:57 PM
neat app... but the crux with any program like this is paint performance... does the interaction work fast enough so that you can actually use it to work rather than it just being a curio toy.

especially with high poly counts... is it really capable of being used for work or is it just a high priced tech demo.

from what i saw with even the relatively light t-rex mesh in the video demo, it looks like a toy. interaction speed just doesn't seem to be there.

i really truly believe in photoshop going the 3d route but this app doesn't seem to be the answer quite yet.

jin

Dodgy
04-05-2007, 04:10 AM
It works fairly well, but is very limited in what you can do. It quickly gets confused if trying to paint on multiple layers, and seems quite crash prone. Quite overpriced for it's feature set.

AbnRanger
04-05-2007, 05:55 AM
I installed it according to the PDF instructions, and could never get it to work...kept getting a message that the 3D viewer wasn't currently available...don't you just love wasting valuable time on "Cool Tools" that don't even work?
I had the same problem recently with a "Real-Time" previewer (uses your GPU for raytrace rendering) for 3ds Max, called Redviewer. CGSociety had on its main page, "Redviewer 1.4 released." Turns out that it definitely doesn't work with Max 9 (has been out 7-8 months now), and I couldn't get it to work right with Max 8 either. Had to download a debug edition to help them spot the bug...from what I saw in the text files, it doesn't like my graphics card. But their webpage states that they have been in partnership with ATI (the maker of my card) to ensure total compatiblity. Yeah, right.
I guess I'll learn someday to take what I read with a grain of salt.