PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave v9 Texturing is Available

Wordware
04-03-2007, 01:12 PM
Wordware is pleased to announce the release of LightWave v9 Texturing. We are offering online discounts of 35% off and free freight* for all users ordering off of our web site, www.wordware.com. Click here (http://www.wordware.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=wwpub&Product_Code=1598220292)and use coupon code lwtext0292 when placing your order.

Enjoy,

Tim McEvoy
Wordware Publishing, Inc.

* free freight is continental U.S. only, international customers get the discount plus shipping.

Bytehawk
04-03-2007, 02:48 PM
how much of the book is dedicated to nodal texturing ?

nolan
04-03-2007, 04:14 PM
Thanks, putting the plastic back in the wallet now.

warrenwc
04-03-2007, 11:30 PM
Thanks, putting the plastic back in the wallet now.
Me too!:beerchug:

Stooch
04-04-2007, 11:14 AM
I dont usually judge books by their covers, but the author of this one needs to read up on texturing a bit more and come up with a better cover/examples before writing one of his own. Frankly, that looks pretty crappy... so if you are interested in learning how to make bland textures, then this is the book for you! (i dont even see any TEXTURING on the items in that cover, most look like plain surface shaders)

http://www.wordware.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/1-59822-029-2-001.jpg

mattclary
04-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Somehow, I think he might have an inkling about what he is talking about.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28211

MooseDog
04-04-2007, 01:33 PM
I dont usually judge books by their covers, but the author of this one needs to read up on texturing a bit more and come up with a better cover/examples before writing one of his own. Frankly, that looks pretty crappy... so if you are interested in learning how to make bland textures, then this is the book for you! (i dont even see any TEXTURING on the items in that cover, most look like plain surface shaders)

http://www.wordware.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/1-59822-029-2-001.jpg

yep. now that's! constructive. my applause for the thoughtful insight, well researched, professionally presented.

Stooch
04-04-2007, 01:54 PM
yep. now that's! constructive. my applause for the thoughtful insight, well researched, professionally presented.

thanks.

hey, im giving feedback. like i said the cover of the book looks like crap, so if he wants to sell more books maybe he should revise it. but if you want to get all uppity and snippy then go right ahead. Its not like i care or anything.

nolan
04-04-2007, 03:52 PM
Not wanting to "stir the pot" but wanting to put this in proper perspective. I didn't buy the book based on the cover (does look a bit jumbled) but rather for the content. I judged that the content would be of value based on other books from the same publisher. They have a good reputation for quality books.

Just my reasons. Anyway, will be happy to correct my statement after having looked through the book if it proves less than satisfactory.

achrystie
04-04-2007, 05:12 PM
Never judge a book by it's cover...

:)

Apparently no one goes to book stores nowadays, and apparently the amazon.com "look inside" functionality is too much effort as well.

Here's another piece of advice, never buy a book unless you've had a chance to look inside and read it a bit.
Otherwise...I have some "great" books to sell you...the covers are top notch. :)

Stooch
04-04-2007, 10:16 PM
Never judge a book by it's cover...

Apparently no one goes to book stores nowadays, and apparently the amazon.com "look inside" functionality is too much effort as well.

bingo. believe it or not, people like that do exist. and they also happen to spend money on books. crazy huh?

anyway hows it going adam? did i tease a post out of you? NICE! lol lets go for 7.

anieves
04-05-2007, 10:46 AM
Hi you'll. I'm sorry you don't like the cover of the book Stooch; and your comments are noted. While I had fun making it that's not where I tried to dedicate all of my time. With the cover I wanted to achieve a couple of things... use LW's nodal procedurals as much as possible, have a clean surfaces look to stay with the whole "Reborn" campaign and have a color palette that would tie it in to the LW 9 color palette. I admit that the hand is hard to read and could have been better but at the end of the day I thought that the cover was doing its job, all of the feedback I received was positive for the most part.

I'm very proud of all the work I did for this edition and I hope that everyone that gets it find it useful and worth their hard earned money.

Bytehawk:I dedicated a whole chapter on the node editor with little exercises as you go. There are also full-scale tutorials so people get plenty of nodal practice. Nodes was a big part of the update... I just wish I could have done more with the new material nodes.

8~ Here is another look at that robot...

warrenwc
04-05-2007, 11:23 AM
Just got mine!
Haven't had time for more than a quick skim, but even the material nodes made it in.
Looks good anieves, I'll dive in this afternoon.:thumbsup:

mattclary
04-05-2007, 11:36 AM
A more appropriate saying might be: "Don't judge a book by a thumbnail of it's cover"

:twak:

Hipcheck
04-05-2007, 11:48 AM
Just placed my order. Hope to have it soon!

dballesg
04-05-2007, 12:28 PM
Hi,

I didn't liked the cover either, but only because it remembers me a famous render used to advertise LW years ago. A similar Robot on exactly on the same pose.

After see the images of the author's book on another post, I can only think that this cover has been a really bad election. :) Editor's choice maybe? :devil:

But looking for the images of the author in the other thread. I am sure itīs worth it.

I would like to know if the books cover advanced techniques as how to create your own shaders using the Math functions the Node Editor offers. I mean thinks like weepul has done many times! :)

I looked on amazon.com and amazon.co.uk but you cannot look "inside" the book.

And the summary on wordware.com it is a bit short! :)

And I have three books from wordware and i loved them, really well written and informative. So take this as a "light" critic! :)

anieves
04-05-2007, 01:08 PM
The cover was completely my idea and suggestion to the guys at Wordware, a very talented concept artist friend of mine called Leon Harmon concepted this robot for me so the familiarity is completely coincidence. Here is his site: http://www.thewayisleon.com/

I am curious to the image that you are referring to tho. If you find it somewhere online lmk ;)

dballesg
04-05-2007, 02:37 PM
The cover was completely my idea and suggestion to the guys at Wordware, a very talented concept artist friend of mine called Leon Harmon concepted this robot for me so the familiarity is completely coincidence. Here is his site: http://www.thewayisleon.com/

I am curious to the image that you are referring to tho. If you find it somewhere online lmk ;)

God I need to remember the name of the Author, was on LW 6 times so you can imagine how far was that! :) I think it was showed on the Newtekniques Magazine or KeyFrame Magazine! :(

BTW Thanks for your friend web page, bookmarked for inspiration!

Stooch
04-05-2007, 05:19 PM
Hi you'll. I'm sorry you don't like the cover of the book Stooch; and your comments are noted. While I had fun making it that's not where I tried to dedicate all of my time. With the cover I wanted to achieve a couple of things... use LW's nodal procedurals as much as possible, have a clean surfaces look to stay with the whole "Reborn" campaign and have a color palette that would tie it in to the LW 9 color palette. I admit that the hand is hard to read and could have been better but at the end of the day I thought that the cover was doing its job, all of the feedback I received was positive for the most part.

I'm very proud of all the work I did for this edition and I hope that everyone that gets it find it useful and worth their hard earned money.

Bytehawk:I dedicated a whole chapter on the node editor with little exercises as you go. There are also full-scale tutorials so people get plenty of nodal practice. Nodes was a big part of the update... I just wish I could have done more with the new material nodes.

8~ Here is another look at that robot...

holy crap its a robot??? wow i couldnt even tell. yeah i think it looks cool just really busy and hard to read. Looked like a bunch of random shapes to be honest. But now that i can see the larger pic it makes more sense. now that i know who is beind it, im less skeptical but someone who doesnt know your work might not be as impressed... anyway after seeing the state of lw docs i think you just might sell one to me ;)

aidenvfx
05-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Couple questions.

1. Anyone buy this book and what did you think?

2. Is there a DVD or CD with premade models for texturing etc.

Cageman
05-21-2009, 04:24 AM
Couple questions.

1. Anyone buy this book and what did you think?

It's a very good book with alot of tips and tricks and general workflow ideas regarding procedural texturing, how to make LW and ZBrush "talk", as well as how to work with UVs, painting texturemaps and creating different types of maps such as a reflection map and so on.

Ohh... almost forgot... it deals with Nodes as well.

2. Is there a DVD or CD with premade models for texturing etc.

Yes. It is a CD with a bunch of objects, scenes, textures and surface presets as well as some alpha-brushes to use with ZBrush. And, of course, the CD contains all images that are printed in the book (more detailed and highres for obvious reasons).