PDA

View Full Version : There's a hole in my poly

MGuerra
06-22-2003, 04:41 PM
I have this shape I'm working with and, although both sides are identical, there seems to be a hole in one of the polys. If I view it in SubPatch mode, it looks fine, but in regular mode, it has this hole in it. I've tried flipping it and deleting the whole side and mirroring the "good" side, but it always comes out the same.

Any suggestions for why this might be happening, or what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks for any help...

lone
06-22-2003, 05:04 PM
it looks pretty non-planar, and i've had non-planar poly's do the same thing on me (ok on one side, odd on the other). i'd try splitting it to see if it goes away.

CTRL+X
06-22-2003, 05:50 PM
You can also "nudge" the verts into planar by selecting just those verts that are causing this poly to not show up and hit CTRL+M with an itiration of 1,,, it just will smooth nudge the verts into a planar position.

you don't need to freak that something is wrong with you model when a poly goes missing in non-sub patch mode,,, it is still there,,if you plan on bringing it into Layout and animating it then it will be in sub patch mode and it won't matter... if you plan on freezing it from sub patch mode then it won't matter either.

MGuerra
06-22-2003, 05:58 PM
which points would I need to nudge to make it planer? Is the poly supposed to be flat?

riki
06-22-2003, 06:29 PM
I use the Planerizer Plugin if I need to make something Planer http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=862

Castius
06-23-2003, 12:19 AM
Hi MGuerra

Quick lessen:

4 sided poly (quad) is basicly a ngon. N basicly staned for anything more than 3 sided polygon (tri). Tries are alway planer(perfectly flat). A ngon can have a % of nonplaner. if you select a ngon and hit "i" for info you will see flatness %. That hole is there cause the computer can't figure out what way the polygon is facing. If you modeling for sub-d you just have to ignore it. If you're render somthing that isn't you have to eitehr tripple your whole object "T" or use the selection window "w" to select non planer polys and either triple them or make them closer to planer till the whoel goes away. Tripling your whole model works the best but you have to make sure you never save over your last model that is in quad. Hope that helps

Lamont
06-23-2003, 11:15 AM
Yeah, that "4" point poly is actualy 5 or more points.. hit merge.

j3st3r
06-23-2003, 01:06 PM
It`s not planarity problem. There are few plugins wich cause it. This is when the order of the points have been changed.

Here I`ve attached an illustration. The best if you rebuild this poly. Any triangulation would not solve the problem.

MGuerra
06-23-2003, 01:45 PM
That's really strange because I mirrored the 2 sides and one side is fine, but the other always has that hole in it. I've tweaked the points a little to fix it, but I want to make sure I completely understand the cause so I can avoid this in the future.

I was working on another model recently that looked fine in subpatch mode and, just for fun, I looked at it in regular mode and it too had holes. On this one, I was able to flip the polys in regular mode to fix it, but then when I switched back to subpatch mode, the holes were now there. Very strange.

Anyway, I know to keep polys planer now, but on the other model, they appeared to be fine, yet this "hole reversing" was happening. Idealy, I'd like the models to look the same in regular mode as they do in subpatch mode (aside from the blockiness of course).

Thanks... :confused:

j3st3r
06-23-2003, 01:50 PM
The above illustrated example may be the result of symmetrized welding, point tweaking, etc. The best, if you rebuild that one poly. I have GREAT experience with this problem....:)

Jester

TerryFord
06-23-2003, 03:39 PM
If that polygon is definitely a quad (and you've tried Merge/Unify)then that's an OpenGL error on a non-planar. This lscript can often correct the display error.

Normal Corrector;
http://www.infoseek.livedoor.com/~f_ichikawa/plugin-page.html

If the object isn't intended for subpatching then you should probably tripple it before using it in layout, or at least tripple the non-planars (use polygon stats to select them).

Regards,
Terry