PDA

View Full Version : Rail Bevel (newbie)

Captain Chaos
04-03-2007, 07:58 AM
Trying to replicate an example in a modeler tutorial where rail bevel is used to create a vase-type shape. I'm getting shift, but not inset. I end up with a cylinder whose segments align with the points on the rail.

I'm using LW 9 for mac, but the tutorial seems to be on a PC, since he keeps referring to control keys and right/left clicks.

Any ideas?

R Haseltine
04-03-2007, 08:17 AM
You'd need two rails for that, so that it knows to vary the size of the disc.

Captain Chaos
04-03-2007, 08:41 AM
The guy in the video (Larry Schultz) clearly shows it being done with one. He uses two for rail extrude.

Captain Chaos
04-03-2007, 09:18 AM
Just for the sake of argument, I tried it with two rails and got the same result.

shermanlu
04-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Rail Bevel is a kind of weird tool... you have to draw your Rail/ splines in Back View or front View... it just doesn't work in side views...

Bog
04-03-2007, 10:55 AM
Rail Bevel is a kind of weird tool... you have to draw your Rail/ splines in Back View or front View... it just doesn't work in side views...

Cheers for that, shermanlu! I may actually start using the blasted thing now.

Surrealist.
04-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Just a slight clarification. It seems that rail bevel uses the front and back views - as stated. It is not so much which view the spline was created in - though obviously if you create it in a side view it will be straight in the front view and since it uses the front view to bevel, you will get no inset. So you can rotate the spline 90 degrees and it will work.

I am not being nit picky just specific because, as an example, skellegons WILL have different results depending on what view they are created in.

Thank you shermanlu for pointing this out. :)

Silkrooster
04-03-2007, 04:38 PM
Apparently I never used any other window configuration to create the spline, cause I did not know that.
BTW, if you want to object to be the same as your profile and spline use the numeric panel and set one to 100% and the other to -100% I don't recall which is which at the moment, I think inset is -100% anywho you will figure it out.
Silk

colkai
04-04-2007, 02:54 AM
Wierd!
Ok, chalk that up as another thing I didn't know about LW. Might explain some of my "frustrations" with rail extrudes.

Captain Chaos
04-04-2007, 12:59 PM
Just got off the phone with Newtek Tech Support, the problem is that I was using the control key, as specifeid in the tutorial. Problem is, it doesn't work on the Mac. Just click and drag.