PDA

View Full Version : Lighting at dusk?

7gdi
04-02-2007, 11:58 AM
This was my first attempt at illustrating a building at dawn/dusk. I need professional critiques. Can anyone out there give me some hints on how to get more photo realism? There's just something about it that doesn't look right. Thanks.

Mark The Great
04-02-2007, 02:41 PM
This was my first attempt at illustrating a building at dawn/dusk. I need professional critiques. Can anyone out there give me some hints on how to get more photo realism? There's just something about it that doesn't look right. Thanks.

Not that I'm professional, but...

I'd turn down the overall lighting. Also, give the lighting a bluish tint(Not the lamps or the interior, however). Right now it looks as if the sky and the subject have been photoshopped together without color correction, if you know what I mean.

So, turn down the lights, blue-ify it, and perhaps turn on the backdrop radiosity.

Great ling, by the way.

Captain Obvious
04-02-2007, 04:01 PM
More saturation. Very dark and saturated blue light from the sky, very warm orange light from the lamps. Also, replace your spotlights with shadow mapped spots with soft shadows, or area lights. The hard shadows cast by the lamp posts doesn't look very good.

Reflections in the windows are way too bright. They should be darker than the sky. Lights inside the building should be a warm orange color.

I attached a couple of images I took the other day. In the second one, look at how dark blue the reflections of the sky are, versus how orange the reflections of the artifical light is.

7gdi
04-05-2007, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the advice - I'll try these suggestions as soon as I get a chance and maybe repost it. Thanks again.

Wonderpup
04-09-2007, 01:25 PM
An important visual 'cue' for dawn/dusk is hint of warmth lower in the sky- at present your sky is all blue which reads daytime to me, rather than late or early.