PDA

View Full Version : Importing OBJ objects ...

acocq
04-02-2007, 10:07 AM
Hi,
I've got a whole bunch of OBJ files that I am trying to get into LW9 ...

"no problem" you say ...

Well, I do get the geometry/mesh read in without a hitch. But the object does not have any textures. I do see the surface names in the surface editor and when I load the object in Milkshape, I see the whole thing incl. textures.

Any ideas ?:help:

Cheers,
Andreas

BazC
04-02-2007, 10:38 AM
Yes Lightwave doesn't currently import the .mtl file which is needed for the textures. Someone did write a plugin for this though, I think it was Dodgy. You should be able to find it if you do a search for .mtl import.

Dodgy
04-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Check my web page :)

acocq
04-02-2007, 04:26 PM
Check my web page :)

Did that ... Thanks ! :beerchug:

I misread BazC's post to imply that the plugin was "flakey" ... as in buggy (as in dodgy) :D

Cheers,
Andreas

esper8
04-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Why oh why isn't this plugin included with LW? It's a total Godsend

MooseDog
04-02-2007, 09:11 PM

God doesn't work for Newtek. He's freelance:D

(use this plug att. works flawlessly:thumbsup: )

acocq
04-03-2007, 03:09 AM

I second that !

I love working with LW and 9.0/9.2 are good improvements on an already great product :thumbsup: . But the "built-in" import/export functionality is a bit on the weak side.

Seeing how LW is used in a number of different product pipelines it would make (IMHO) a lot of sense to make LW more "format compatible" with other apps by providing solid, functional im-/export support. :hey:

And the approach of to provide OBJ support whilst forgetting MTL support is really bonkers ... half-baked ... not up to snuff ... queer ... odd ... (well, you get the meaning ... :D )

Cheers,
Andreas
:lightwave

BazC
04-03-2007, 04:39 AM
I misread BazC's post to imply that the plugin was "flakey" ... as in buggy (as in dodgy) :D

LOL! Sorry about that, I should word my posts more carefully! :D

Dodgy
04-03-2007, 05:09 AM
My fault for having a Dodgy nickname :)

And the approach of to provide OBJ support whilst forgetting MTL support is really bonkers

To be fair, I'd only seen it really recently used much, since Daz and Poser started getting more popular.

acocq
04-04-2007, 04:06 AM
To be fair, I'd only seen it really recently used much, since Daz and Poser started getting more popular.

Well, the OBJ format has been around for a long time (in terms of IT anyway ;)). But more to the point is that OBJ is just an example.

I would like to see more support from Newtek for other formats (such as FBX/Cal3d/Collada). Surely the answer can not simple be : See if you find a plugin on FLAY or something similar. Yes, one could buy PolyTrans. But to spend nearly 400 bucks just to convert formats seems a bit steep (I've been primarily utilizing Milkshape for format conversions - but would much prefer to stay within LW and do my exporting from there).

As always, just MHO and 2 cents worth :hey: ...
Andreas

OOZZEE
04-17-2007, 01:22 PM
IMO - I would just like for the industry to get the OBJ format straightened out. - sure they can have their own propietary control... but OBJ from one app to another should not get messed up like it does sometimes.

enough said.