PDA

View Full Version : Shall i buy???? HELP

core
06-22-2003, 12:46 PM
I need some serious help. I want to get into 3d, and lightwave seems like a pretty decent route to do that.
I have a mac, dual 867mhz, OS 10.2.6, radeon 9000 and 512ram (i know i shuold get more)

I've never used lightwave before, and i dont have enough money to buy a pc, but i could buy lightwave (edu version).

Now is it a good idea to buy lightwave on a mac, or hold out till i get a pc? how is the performance, the compatability with 3rd party stuff etc?

Is a pc just the way to go and i shuold get over it!?

i dont want a pc but i want to 3d!!!!

help, what shall i do?

mac/LW or pc/LW??

and please please be realistic and logical, forget all the proud mac stuff, i know they're great, but are they great for 3d work within lightwave?

NigelH
06-22-2003, 04:08 PM
It's good enough for me to feel comfortable accepting jobs, meeting deadlines and making a living. If I wasn't, I wouldn't be using it.

Whether or not you choose to wait 'til you can afford a PC is entirely up to you. There are more plug-ins available on that side, but this has never stopped me from accomplishing something that I've set out to do. The amount of stability you'll enjoy will depend a LOT on your hardware setup and OS version - this appllies to both PCs and Macs.

I'm not about to tell you what to do, but it seems to me that there's nothing stopping you from Lightwavin' right now.

drclare
06-22-2003, 05:32 PM
The other thing to remember is that when you buy lightwave, even the edu version, you get a mac cd and a windows cd, so you can run it on either. So go ahead and jump in now, and later if you feel that you have to get a pc, you can without the need to buy lightwave again.

toby
06-22-2003, 08:36 PM
LW kicks a**! And if you don't want a pc, there's no need for one. Most of us here aren't thinking of switching.
But you should know that along with OSX.2.5 and 6 came some buggy problems for Radeon users.

Beamtracer
06-22-2003, 08:47 PM
Yes, Lightwave is one of the few applications around where you get both the Mac and Windows versions in the same box. You can use it on your current machine, and if you update to a new one in the future (Mac or Windows) you don't have to pay any crossgrade fees.

By the way... I think a new G5 Mac would be better than a Windows box any day:)

mlinde
06-22-2003, 10:00 PM
I love my mac. I love Lightwave. Frankly, at this particular junction in time, I'm not sure that your setup will be a good Mac Lightwave machine. Here are the questions in hand:

1) ATI/Radeon graphics have had a history of trouble with Lightwave, and the current released version (7.5c) does not work on many ATI-graphics machines. If tomorrow AM there is an announcement for the availability of an nVidia Quadro-based graphics card for the Mac, try to get one. Although it's expensive, the GeForce Ti appears to work consistently. If you can manage it, a GeForce 4 MX with the dual head (and 64 MB VRAM) is a good option.

2) Lightwave 7.5c is the current release of LW on the Mac. There are some outstanding issues in various configurations and hardware setups that appear to make it impossible to use Lightwave on some machines. I'd download the discovery version (a.k.a. 7.5c from Newtek) and make sure it runs on your machine before you buy it. You can test it before buying it to make sure it will run on your machine. I say do this because if you get a 7.5c CD, you don't have the option of going back to 7.5, like many Mac users have done. On the upside, if you buy 7.5 now you will get a free upgrade to 8 when it is released, I think.

3) For 95% of the work out there, you don't need a specific plug-in. For 97% of the work out there, that plug-in is available for both Mac and Windows. Be aware that for 3% of the work out there, you can't do it on a Mac, because that specific tool doesn't exist on the Mac platform. On the positive side, realize that you may never see the job that requires the plug-in you can't get.

4) From what I've seen and heard over the last few years, LW runs faster on a PC. I'm assuming you aren't dropping money on the new "mystery box" being released tomorrow, and your 2x867 is the machine you will use. It doesn't affect most of us, but you should be aware that it's a little slower to use LW on a Mac.

Honesty given. If you are more comfortable working in Mac OS, and you own one, get LW and learn it. The GUI for the application is identical regardless of Mac or Windows, so save yourself the additional 2-3K a workstation-quality PC costs, and just get the software.