PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to relieve bottlenecking

prospector
04-02-2007, 08:49 AM
From another thread I see that dynamics are thrown to 1 cpu when calculating and not done by multi cpus (ie dual or quads).

So that I can speed up from going from my 64 X2 3800s to the 5200 range, quads would be of no benifit here.

So where is the next slowdown...what will benifit these?

Is screen redraw CPU based or Vidio card? In other words, is spinning object in modeler or layout based on LW figuring out where points and polys go thru cpu, or does the Vid card do that?

In layout playback, is this cpu or vid card?

Would any benifit come thru getting more ram? Currently have 2 gigs tho I think I can get faster for this mobo.

Would going to Win64 see a speed increase in these areas?

And if so, is there a compiled list of plugins, that take advantage of 64bit so I can see what I am loosing by going that way?

Not too worried about rendering as I can just throw that to the renderfarm and forget it.

And dynamics look like they will be in every frame from here to eternity,mainly cloth and hair stuff, so just looking for the fastest LW hands on working computer.

prospector
04-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Almost forgot a question...

The new exotic materials (dielectric and sss and such) are they being calculated somewhere (which would be thrown to 1 cpu) or is the renderer figuring that out?

OFF
04-02-2007, 09:32 AM
old md could use two or even more cpu threads

TSpyrison
04-02-2007, 02:56 PM
I'd guess, that everything but the renderer is single threaded?

I'd love to see other aspects of LW turn into multi threaded tools. Modeler tools, dynamics, ect...

Exception
04-02-2007, 08:39 PM
screen redraw: video card
Anything that happens after you press F9: CPU.
AFAIK, only shadow maps are not calculated multi threaded.

prospector
04-02-2007, 09:59 PM
screen redraw: video card

So like someone else said about IK being slow....that's vid card???

Thinking TSpyrison is hitting the nail on the head.

And just a very fast single CPU would do better for daily working of LW when all renders go to renderfarm anyways.

Exception
04-02-2007, 10:34 PM
no, obviosuly anything that is not visual but analytical such as dynamics, mesh defomations and so on is not the video card... it's also not the screen redraw. It's what's done before a screen redraw. Anything openGL related is video card.

Extent
04-02-2007, 10:50 PM
Would any benifit come thru getting more ram? Currently have 2 gigs tho I think I can get faster for this mobo.

For a (rough) estimation load what you would consider to be your biggest heaviest scene, start a render and check the available physical memory in your task manager. If it's less than 100 meg or so you could probably use more RAM.

prospector
04-02-2007, 11:31 PM
anything that is not visual but analytical such as dynamics, mesh defomations and so on is not the video card... it's also not the screen redraw. It's what's done before a screen redraw. Anything openGL related is video card.

OK, so then how does this work;

have object in layout and I just move it to new location about 1 foot distance, no dynamics or any deformations, just a hi-res globe, and I have to wait for screen refresh?

I move a null for an IK leg about 1 foot, and I have to wait for LW to figure out any deformtions?
Plus the screen refresh time?

would there be a way to see what is taking longest in the IK scenerio?
I tried looking at task manager and CPU went to 100% on both scenerios untill screen refresh was completed in both.

Extent
04-03-2007, 01:29 AM
The simple way to tell the difference would be to compare manipulating your IK rig to just spinning your viewport around. A viewport refresh would be as close to pure GPU as you could get. If it's fast but moving your rig is slow then I'ld say your CPU is bottlenecking. If spinning your viewport is slow to refresh then it's most likely your video card.

Silkrooster
04-03-2007, 04:44 PM
I have to agree. Moving and rotating an object is video card only while any calulations that effect the mesh are cpu + video card as your screen needs to refresh as well.
Silk

prospector
04-03-2007, 05:36 PM
some results

Modeler and layout totally empty

grabbing 4 corners of views in center of screen and dragging diagional corner to corner of monitor

Modeler;
4 corners stays for 1 sec then catches up to mouse, grid stays with windows

Layout;
4 corners stays with mouse, all windows go grey till mouse is stopped moving then go normal, other than color change all is instant.

Object loaded;
layer 1....15,200 polys...collision object
Layer 2....21,892 polys..hair strand guides

4 window move as above;

layout instant but still grays out
modeler 2 sec delay, tho everything stays showing.

That I can live with.

moving object no deformations;

layout;
moves as fast as I can move mouse and stays showing,
modeler;
seems as fast

I can live with that,

Hair collision calculations
10 sec for 1 frame including screen refresh
can't live with that, still have no clothes on model and that will have to be calculated along with hair per frame and 1000 frame anims will take way way too long.

so that leaves the CPU...and differences of opinion if LW proper is multithreading.

prospector
04-03-2007, 05:40 PM
So, all I see pertaining to LW or any 3D program is renderspeed when showing CPU vs CPU.

And I think something like 3DMark is multi cpu tests,

What do I look for in CPU vs CPU tests to see what is better in single CPU mode that would pertain to LW?