PDA

View Full Version : future station

bearfoot
04-02-2007, 01:19 AM
Hey everyone

i did a concept for a future station.
i was trying to imply a huge structure and an emptyness rather than a busy place..
i could have pushed it further with smoke and other tweaks but i ran out of time.

cheers

http://www.bearfootfilms.com/fullres/platform14.jpg

Caveboy
04-02-2007, 01:35 AM
This is awesome!

I love the lighting and the sense of scale. It also has a slight artistic painterly feel to it.

How was the sun (sunlight?) done?

It reminds me of the art work of Chris Foss. He painted some of the coolest spaceships in the 70s and early 80s. Before Star Wars!

Inspiring piece.

BazC
04-02-2007, 03:05 AM
Very, very nice work! I agree it has a bit of a Foss feel!

starbase1
04-02-2007, 05:17 AM
Lovely, really great. I particularly like the little figures, they give it a good sense of scale.

bobakabob
04-02-2007, 06:57 AM
Wow... classy work. The lighting and texturing in particular is amazing :beerchug:

Matt
04-02-2007, 08:07 AM
The lighting is the bit that does it for me!

colkai
04-02-2007, 08:52 AM
it has a bit of a Foss feel!
That's it!
I was trying to figure out why it felt "familiar".
Very cool scene, wallpaper material if ever there was one. :)

shrox
04-02-2007, 12:08 PM
I have been working on something similar, now I feel like I'll be accused of copying!!

bobakabob
04-02-2007, 12:23 PM
Don't worry about it... it's impossible to be completely original. It would be interesting to see your design.

Bearfoot any chance of seeing the models from different angles?

Vladiz
04-02-2007, 01:42 PM
incretible... amasing :)

LW_jackn
04-02-2007, 07:43 PM
One small thing that gets in my way, and is really only a nit pick. Each section has the same dirty-up mapping to them.

Other than this, it is quite nice! And yes the lighting is what sells that image!

;)

hrgiger
04-02-2007, 08:25 PM
It's a great image and I agree, the lighting is tremendous. But the texture on the station bothers me. It looks more like swirly paint then a dirt or rust or whatever it's supposed to be (maybe it's supposed to be swirly paint).

Edbittner
04-02-2007, 08:47 PM
I quite like this. It almost seems this is the station that is being replaced with a newer one, although still gets a reasonable amount of traffic.
Well done.
E.

sammael
04-03-2007, 10:39 AM
I realy like this, nice work! Possibly the best use of lense flare I have ever seen. Love the lighting and atmosphere, nice tight texture work as well.

loki74
04-03-2007, 08:29 PM
It's a great image and I agree, the lighting is tremendous. But the texture on the station bothers me. It looks more like swirly paint then a dirt or rust or whatever it's supposed to be (maybe it's supposed to be swirly paint).

I noticed the texture thing too, but somehow that swirly bit doesnt really irk me... what jumped out to me is that the exact same patter repeatons on each platform thingy. That wouldnt happen if it was rust or dirt, but if its supposed to be painted on that makes sense.

AAaaaaaaannyway... the lighting and texturing is simply gorgeous. Sammeal, I think this might be the best use of lens flare you've seen because it's probably one of the only times lens flare was used properly! :thumbsup:

bearfoot
04-04-2007, 02:03 AM
thanks a lot everyone for the kind words..

any your right the models were cloned so the i ran out of time to redo the texture of them in layout as i had to render them all at over 3000k for print..

will try to post up some other shots and stuff later

cheers

Darth Mole
04-04-2007, 05:28 AM
That. Freaking. Rocks.

ghostlight
04-05-2007, 12:55 AM
This is a video I love that may be relevant to this topic:
http://img-nex.kongisking.net/kong/movies/PPD-32WeeksToGo_qt4.mov

It's the modeling of the miniature ship in King Kong, and there's a great part where they talk about texturing the ship, thinking of the boat's history, where water collects, drips, and rusts more. It's something I've kept with me when surfacing dirt and grime, as well as when I was a production designer - everything has its story.

Carm3D
04-05-2007, 04:47 AM
Fantastic!

ice_blade_za
04-11-2007, 07:54 AM
I like, I like but ... (always with the big "but")

I would have just put rails of some sort along the "walkway" edges. I always try to imagine the situation as if real and then imagine the issues and solutions that would be needed. I never seem to add enough detail it seems, but isn't that the way it always is.

It's really a stunning design, with real atmosphere. Keep it up.

colkai
04-11-2007, 08:09 AM
(always with the big "but")
Ooh, come on now, you just know someone had to joke about that. :lol:

gpdesigner
04-15-2007, 06:58 AM
Awesome image 'foot, very well executed, I only have one little issue.
The people way way in the background seem to be a bit too large. Overall in the scene you can't tell but when you look at the height of the structures next to them on the left, they seem to be the same height.
Other than that the render rocks . . . effects kick but :thumbsup: :D
gp

2vertacie
04-15-2007, 08:30 AM
just like I said on SQ, THIS IS AMAZING!