PDA

View Full Version : Wich 1

xfulcrumx
03-31-2007, 11:26 PM
Couldnt help myself, I just had to ask this question..Ive been doing a tremendous ammount of research on the various 3d programs for the past 3 or 4 months. Xsi , LW and all the others.. At first I was going to Buy 3dsMax.
Im familar with Max, Ive used it in the past a long time ago. but with family
situations and such ,I got away from 3d modeling....and the yrs flew by:)

Now I want to get back into it,,But I dont want to pay 3500$ plus all the plugins cost ect ect..So I want to settle for something a little less$$.

I narrowed it down to XSI and Lightwave.. Both seem really good in there own ways..But with what Ive read here about people having problems with Rigging and such , Is buying LW a good idea ?.. Does anyone here have Knowlege of both programs ? and maybe can tell me what the pro's and Con's are to each... From what Ive seen of the Vids and Pictures that people have made from each .. I can alrdy see alot of differences.. But tell me what you think .

Thx in advance.:D

AbnRanger
04-01-2007, 04:16 AM
This is a thread that covers it pretty well:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65516

meshpig
04-01-2007, 06:37 AM
xfulcrumx

Never used XSI but it looks a little like modo.

-modo 201 is certainly an option.

- try AC3D, for the $$.

http://www.inivis.com

m

cresshead
04-01-2007, 07:12 AM
try both demos..come to it...try ALL the demo's of

cinema 4d
xsi
messiha
silo
modo
zbrush
maya ple
3dsmax
houdini
lightwave
motion builder
viz 2008
mudbox
form z
maxwell
modo
vue
poser7
hash animation master
lifeforms
bryce
hexagon
carrara
blender

...once you've had a good look around THEN it would be good to choose what fits YOUR needs

xfulcrumx
04-01-2007, 03:20 PM
thx guys , from all of the research Ive done , I heard that the Lightwave
community was the nicest and most informative. I see its True :agree: .

dont really want to try out all the demos:eek: I alrdy know 3dsmax and a few
other programs. learning the interface isnt a problem. A 30day trial isnt enough time to learn alot about a program...thats why I ask people who use the program alrdy . I like to hear what the actually users have to say --pros and cons and from that I can pretty much make a decision...Of course for myself it takes alot of research.

thx again guys/gals . :)

xfulcrumx
04-01-2007, 03:22 PM
Nice website cresshead. :jam:

AbnRanger
04-01-2007, 06:12 PM
One small thing of note, that's rarely mentioned...but to you it might make a difference. If you don't like the color scheme in LW's UI, as of v9 you can do more than just change the whole scheme from a light grey to a dark grey, like Max...or even change the colors of the buttons.

You can totally "Pimp" your :lwicon: ride with some chrome wheels and such, so to speak, if you like, by using bitmap images for your buttons and Background. Makes it nice on the eyes, when you have to sit in front of it all day.

xfulcrumx
04-01-2007, 06:19 PM
One small thing of note, that's rarely mentioned...but to you it might make a difference. If you don't like the color scheme in LW's UI, as of v9 you can do more than just change the whole scheme from a light grey to a dark grey, like Max...or even change the colors of the buttons.

You can totally "Pimp" your :lwicon: ride with some chrome wheels and such, so to speak, if you like, by using bitmap images for your buttons and Background. Makes it nice on the eyes, when you have to sit in front of it all day.

sounds cool . has working with animation/rigging gotten any better in LW 9. Also I see it cost 795$ or 895$ with training bundle .

AbnRanger
04-01-2007, 06:54 PM
As you can tell in some of the other threads, that CA tools are not useless, but simply have some room for improvement, especially when compared to some other pakages.

However, the development team is hard at work on revamping the tools and we should see the fruits of it somewhere in the 9.x cycle or by the next full release.
Jay Roth, stated a number of times about their commitment to retooling that element of LW.

By the time you get acclimated to LW in general, you should see them, along with other improvements. What they have done so far in just the v9 cycle gives good cause for a bit more patience on that end.
However, there are a few inexpensive plugins that one can resort to for CA, if they felt LW's current tools inadequate.
That's Messiah or Maestro (inexpensive but powerful AutoRigger).
If you go with LW, make sure to get a copy of Fprime 3.
No other 3D program has anything like it.

xfulcrumx
04-01-2007, 07:11 PM
As you can tell in some of the other threads, that CA tools are not useless, but simply have some room for improvement, especially when compared to some other pakages.

However, the development team is hard at work on revamping the tools and we should see the fruits of it somewhere in the 9.x cycle or by the next full release.
Jay Roth, stated a number of times about their commitment to retooling that element of LW.

By the time you get acclimated to LW in general, you should see them, along with other improvements. What they have done so far in just the v9 cycle gives good cause for a bit more patience on that end.
However, there are a few inexpensive plugins that one can resort to for CA, if they felt LW's current tools inadequate.
That's Messiah or Maestro (inexpensive but powerful AutoRigger).
If you go with LW, make sure to get a copy of Fprime 3.
No other 3D program has anything like it.

hey thx Abnranger , I was checking out Fprime earlier ,very nice. Hey does
Vue 6 work with Lightwave ?. Also can you give me a link to
Messiah and Maestro. :) . I have to say the more I check into Lightwave
the more I lean towards buying it ... Or some links to diff sites that have plugins for Lightwave , I really want to check into it . for some reason Lightwave feels like the way to go .. but Im not 100% sure yet .

and thx too everyone. :thumbsup:

Exception
04-01-2007, 07:58 PM
Many people have made fantastic animations in Lightwave. The movie industry is clear evidence of this, but you can see many LW animations all over thw web and in these forums with proper character animation. You seem to be particulalry interested in character animation, and that is not one of LW's strong points, but it does have an extensive character animation tool set, but just not as good as some other programs. Modeling, rendering, lighting, surfacing, effects and workflow and all are LW's strong points. It's hard to beat at any price for those things. Also, you can also use Messiah to expand lw's animation toolset, and there are many other tools that will expand LW's already extensive functionality.

The LW community is definately one of the most important plus points. You'll be able to get answers in under an hour usually on these boards, and there are dozens, spinquad.com, lightnet, you name it. Also, flay.com helps you to search for plugins, free or otherwise, which is very valuable. Finally plugins like Fprime do things which are completely impossible in other applications. With such a low price, LW is one of the most valuable packages for its cost. It could easily cost triple of what it does.

Good luck with your search.

AbnRanger
04-02-2007, 04:30 AM
hey thx Abnranger , I was checking out Fprime earlier ,very nice. Hey does
Vue 6 work with Lightwave ?. Also can you give me a link to
Messiah and Maestro. :) . I have to say the more I check into Lightwave
the more I lean towards buying it ... Or some links to diff sites that have plugins for Lightwave , I really want to check into it . for some reason Lightwave feels like the way to go .. but Im not 100% sure yet .

and thx too everyone. :thumbsup:Yes it works with Vue 6. As a matter of fact, when LW 9 was in pre-release stage, the offered a copy of Vue 5 Infinite for free...was a sweet deal.
Vue Xtreme has a version for LW, and the regular Infinite version (stand alone) has a syncronization plugin for LW. Also, in another thread you ask about LW cloth...yes it has that.
I use 3ds Max as well (weaned on it in school), but I have to candidly say that there simply isn't a program that compares, top-to-bottom, with LW until you begin to reach the $3500 price range. Then, one can begin to make a case for 3ds Max or C4D Advanced. But, when you consider what FPrime can do for your worflow, LW starts to look pretty sweet.

Messiah:
http://www.projectmessiah.com/

Maestro:
http://www.stillwaterpictures.com/maestro/