PDA

View Full Version : Hydra

bobakabob
03-31-2007, 05:57 PM
Finally finished a version of my Hydra model, created in Lightwave 9 and textured in Zbrush. Inspired by Ray Bradbury and Dungeons and Dragons.

Twisted_Pixel
03-31-2007, 06:40 PM
Very impressive, good feeling of mass to it.

Though it does look as if some spots, are missing 'Smoothing' whether this is intentional I'm not sure.

sammael
03-31-2007, 11:34 PM
Hey bobakabob this turned out well, interesting colour theme. I think the underside of the necks, belly and tail could use some variation in the texturing, perhaps more of a leathery hide feel? at least some colour variation anyway. The teeth might benifit from some attention as well maybe a transition to a more translucent material of lighter colouring. Im not a big fan of the eye texture either, I think a more traditional eye surfacing approach would breathe life into the model.
Its a very impressive model nice work,
Sam

DogBoy
04-01-2007, 06:29 AM
Um, where does Ray Bradbury come in? Did you mean Harryhausen? Well, whatever, I love the Hydra. It's come on a long way and doesn't look so overbalanced. :thumbsup:

starbase1
04-01-2007, 06:41 AM
I really love the oily metallic texture - lovely modeling work too - those wings actually look strong enough for the beasty, which is unusual...

I have to agree about the green eyes (and tongue) though...

Nick

StereoMike
04-01-2007, 09:22 AM
Wow, great modeling Bobakabob! Can we see wires?
I'd love to see it in a realistic lighting. It looks like an illustration of an AD&D cover, would be cool to use todays 3D power to get it up to photorealsm :)

mike

bobakabob
04-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Twisted_Pixel,
Thanks for the kind words. Yep I'm aware there are some rough edges to the model and if I do any updates I'll smooth 'em out. Perversely I quite like the little clues that tell you an image is digital :D

Sammael,
Really appreciate the detailed crit. I take on board all your points and I was aware as I was working that the textures could do with refining - by 2am in the morning I'd forgotten the teeth! Struggling to find time for my own projects so tend to work really quickly and perfection seems forever elusive. One day...

Dogboy,
Heh, yep how could I get the two Rays confused... probably fatigue. Though they are mates and Bradbury's dinosaur stories are the greatest. :)

Starbase,
Cheers... glad you like the weird metallic quality. I tend to avoid aspiring for photoreal these days and enjoy seeing 'impossible' textures only computers can produce. Funnily enough I was going to change the tongue colour to red but got carried away with the wings which were fun to paint in Zbrush.

StereoMike,
Thanks, I'll have a go at doing more renders - this one was done in Zbrush. All modelling and rigging was Lightwave 9. Here are some wires though not sure how clean they are ;)

http://www.invisibleray.co.uk/artwork/1_hydra_wires.jpg

Rigging:

http://www.invisibleray.co.uk/artwork/1_hydra_bones.jpg

StereoMike
04-02-2007, 11:42 AM
Great! Thanks alot Bob. You modeled it in 9.0?
You're a tough and patient guy.
9.2 is much better response-wise.

mike

bobakabob
04-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Thanks Mike. I've always liked Lightwave's intuitive Modeler (and have never enjoyed using other modelling programs - maybe I'm too old to learn new software as even M*do has so far failed to click). Looking forward to seeing LW 9.2 developments. Not having donloaded the beta, I'm loving the suspense :D