PDA

View Full Version : I'm buying a Mac Pro next week



tribbles
03-30-2007, 01:03 PM
I'm not terribly worried about the UB ony in beta at this moment in time, but my concern is the graphics card.

I know there's problems with either NVidia or ATi in Windows (can never remember which!), but for MacOS, are there such problems?

I'll be buying extra memory from Cruical (it's not quite half the price, but close).

Anything else anyone would recommend?

amigo
03-30-2007, 06:19 PM
Wait, don't buy yet ! :)

Surely this is a big purchase decision for you so give it a bit more time, until NAB 2007 is over at least. Everyone is hoping that Apple will refresh their Mac Pro line during that time frame, and that some new options such as Quad CPUs and new graphics cards would be made available.

John the Geek
03-30-2007, 06:43 PM
I'll concur.... Unless you NEED it now, there's likely a whopping better machine on the horizon for not much of a change in price.

I haven't heard of any problems with these video cards in Windows... but then I run it as a Mac 99.9999% of the time.

=)

JeffrySG
03-30-2007, 08:39 PM
I have a ATI X1900 in my MacPro and I've been very happy with it... no problems that I've found yet...

I'd be more than happy to try to open any LW models to see how they look, etc. for you if you'd like...

Jeff

PS. aren't the dual-quad core machines coming out soon? (8-core machines)
or was I just reading a rumor somewhere.... ???

Haven1000
03-31-2007, 05:24 AM
PS. aren't the dual-quad core machines coming out soon? (8-core machines)
or was I just reading a rumor somewhere.... ???

This seems the case, rumors started back in october/ september last year that Apple had these machines running in their labs with no major problems. There have been a couple of slip-ups on the Apple UK web-site (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/03/12/8-core-mac-pro-hints-at-apple-uk/) referring to 8 core machines, so I think that everything has been in place for a while and Apple are waiting for a unknown reason like a joint announcement with some super-cool leopard features and maybe the UB's of the entire Adobe lineup.

The only thing which confuses me is that Apple's core business is hardware sales, and the Pro Mac sales have not been that impressive, largely I think because there is a huge number of people waiting for this unannounced 8-core machine which will also mean the lower spec machine's will also see a performance upgrade, so more bang for your buck. I think these next upgrades will see the biggest leap in performance across the tower range since they released the first G5's.

So waiting a couple of week's is probably a good idea, even if NAB doesn't see any speed bumps the FC 9.2UB is still far off in the distance.

tribbles
03-31-2007, 01:05 PM
I know about the rumours, which is why I've left it 'till the beginning of April. The thing is, you can't keep waiting forever for something to come out, and you've just got to sit for as long as you can take it and then go for it.

Usually the day before they're launched...

My Dell laptop I got about 2 weeks before the line was dropped and upgraded.

And someone (it may even have been Dell - I can't remember) gave me some cash back the last time I got something just before the next upgrade.

Hmm. I spot a pattern here. Maybe I'll wait until after Easter then - that would seem like a plausible time for them to change their lines...

JeffrySG
03-31-2007, 04:33 PM
Yeah, you don't want to wait forever though... there will always be a new and faster machine that comes out. As long as you're happy with what you get and get enough RAM it will last you a long time. I've been really happy with my MP 2.6 so far and many of the apps are not even UB yet.

The last time I bought a mac (before my MP) there were new machines that were release the very next DAY... I was pissed!!! The store ended up giving me a few hundred back in a refund, but the truth was I was still getting the machine that I ordered and it lasted me a long time.

I'm sure you'll be happy with what ever you end up with!! :thumbsup:

toby
03-31-2007, 04:43 PM
Just think how you'd feel if an 8 core came out two weeks after you bought your quad - I don't think you'd get any money back and the 8 core is rumored to be very similar in price - if it wouldn't bother you then go ahead. I agree not to keep waiting for the next big thing that's going to come along, but when you buy a machine that's near the end of it's cycle for the same price as it was new, you're not getting your money's worth - imho - and in 3D, we can never have enough power...

cresshead
03-31-2007, 07:32 PM
yeah i'm playing the waiting game...for either a mac pro or a imac24"...hope they upgrade before june...i';ll need a new pc pretty soon for zbrush, 3dsmax,tv paint and lightwave to replace my laptop as the main pc and return the laptop back to a general pc and not my main workstation.

amigo
03-31-2007, 09:57 PM
Well the fact is most apple systems are due for refresh and Mac Pro is among them, being without a refresh for 230+ days.
Check here for the details: http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_Pro_Buyer%27s_Guide

Usually this guide is a fairly good reference since there's a long statistical record and you can see the frequency of updates in the past.

Bottom line is, I agree you cannot wait forever because there's always something new coming out, but current situation is such that refresh is imminent so whether you wait two days or two weeks should not bother you, just wait it out :)

Darth Mole
04-01-2007, 03:29 AM
NAB (Las Vegas) is April 14th - just give it two weeks!

Haven1000
04-01-2007, 03:37 AM
Waiting can be a double edge sword with Apple, as you wait and wait for these updates and when they do arrive, you get excited that this machine that you've been dreaming about increasing your workflow is only a credit card transaction away, you go to order, and then you realise that everybody else has waited like you and you've got a further 3 or 4 week wait for the damn thing to arrive!

Apple has never been great at meeting demand for their hardware at launch, supposedly it makes their brand stronger, so hopefully this dearth of updates is because their stock-piling octa-core Pro Mac's.....yes I know, I'm dreaming again.

tribbles
04-01-2007, 12:13 PM
I think I'll make it the 23rd then (I'm finishing building a car during the week of the 16th, so I can wait 'till then).

Ta for everyone's input.

dwburman
04-01-2007, 01:10 PM
If you decide you can't wait you could still avoid paying full price by looking at the refurbished section of the store... of course, you might not get to choose which over-priced components go into your box ;)

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/6164000/wo/cB3xbcgJdVaJ2uaGhXZ1eauIvpk/1.0.0.21.1.0.8.7.1.0.1.1

toby
04-01-2007, 01:19 PM
If you decide you can't wait you could still avoid paying full price by looking at the refurbished section of the store...
I'll second that! My current machine is a refurbished, it's been great for 3 1/2 years now. You don't have to worry about it because it comes with the same warranty as new ones.

tribbles
04-01-2007, 01:31 PM
I'd agree that it's overpriced if you compare the costs with building one yourself, but I did compare the price with an equivalent Dell (or as close as I could get), and it was fairly similar.

However, the main thing that is swinging in favour of Apple is Logic. I used to use that on a PC, but then EMagic got bought by Apple, and they were told not to do any more PC versions. I tried Cubase, but I don't like its workflow compared to Logic. And there's a reduced cost upgrade from the version of Logic I have on the PC to the latest on Apple (I am a bit concerned that this offer may be rescinded at some point though).

So, I want to use both LW (eventually) and Logic on the Apple.

Can't immediately see any refurb section in the UK site though - I'd seriously contemplate it if I could find it (I'll do a bit of searching).

tribbles
04-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Found it, and they've got one about the same spec that I want in stock...

nils
04-01-2007, 02:35 PM
While you are waiting, consider becoming an ADC Select member before you buy. There are nice rebates in the developer's store that can easily end up higher than the membership fee. Plus, if you buy your mac before OS 10.5 comes out, you'll get that for free after it's release...

TomT
04-03-2007, 08:24 AM
I like Logic on the Mac too. :) Cubase never really did it for me. Digital Performer is also a handy standby, but in the end, I've found Logic a more complete suite these days.

tribbles
04-03-2007, 12:05 PM
At the time, it was either 1500 on a Mac that was equivalent to my PC (including the discount), or 200 on Cubase (special crossgrade from Logic). I'd just bought my house, so that kinda dictated which I took.

Now it's later, and I have the money. Which I spent on Sunday on the refurbished Mac Pro - I'm sure that the discount I got would still make it cheaper than what a new one will be when the 8-cores are released. And I get it much sooner.

As JeffrySG said, I'm sure I'll be happy with it anyway - my main concern is currently Logic, and that doesn't really need huge amounts of processing power. When the full UB release of LW comes out, then I may look at upgrading (Logic can do distributed audio computation like LW does network rendering).

tribbles
04-04-2007, 09:17 AM
And now I see that the 8-cores are out, and there don't appear to be any price changes for the 4-core, I'm happy.

But, it's consistent with my experience of buying things.

So, if anyone wants to buy any equipment, wait a week after I've bought it :)

Haven1000
04-04-2007, 09:29 AM
24Ghz......wowser:thumbsup:

cresshead
04-04-2007, 12:01 PM
whooooooooooosh!
...err what was that?
the whooosh?
yeah...
that your render mate...it's done!

tribbles
04-06-2007, 01:05 PM
Yay! It's turning up on Tuesday (according to UPS).

OneShot
04-06-2007, 03:28 PM
I compared price with Dell and Alienware (close as I could with an Apple) the Apple's still was cheaper or at the same cost. But you get 4 more cores then on the PC units.

Stock RAM, Stock HD, 2 DVD, Bluetooth 2.0+EDR and AirPort Extreme and ATI video card with Apple Care.

RAM and HD can be had for way cheaper then Apple's price. BTW RamJet has 4G DIMM's. With three kids in college I hoping by at least Oct to upgrade :twak: But if I wait that late! I can wait for MacWorld 08

cresshead
04-06-2007, 03:44 PM
dell does 8 core pc's...you'll have to go thru as a medium business otherwise they will not be selectable....their pricing for a similar 8 core is 2000 more than an apple machine....over 5000 for a dell that's slower than the 3000 appl mac pro.
and dell top out at 8 cores based on 2.66ghz

dell is just out in the frame for a considered purchase really...their pricing is waaay too expensive...same with alienware and boxx..apple for a change is THE cheapest, Fastest ''pc'' [windows or otherwise] you can buy and the build quality is top banana.