PDA

View Full Version : LW9 Books For Beginners

pleopard
03-30-2007, 12:53 PM
I am a complete noob to LW9 and I have never used LW8. I did some fairly extensive work in the 90's with Strata Studio Pro so I am familiar with the basic tool concepts of a 3D modeling program. However, I am struggling to gifure out how to use this apparently fantastic tool.

Anyone want to recommend a good book that will help me get up to speed as fast as possible?

I see these at Amazon.com ... any comments on these?
1) Essential Lightwave v9: The Fastest and Easiest Way to Master LightWave 3D
2) Inside LightWave v9

Thanks!
Paul

Matt
03-30-2007, 12:59 PM
Well, either would be good, they are both long standing stable books on LightWave. I would mention that the Inside LightWave book has a ton of video tutorials on the CD/DVD that comes with it.

pleopard
03-30-2007, 03:02 PM
Thanks man ... per your rec I bought the 'Inside...' book.

Wordware
04-02-2007, 07:36 AM
The Essential LightWave v9 title is on the way and it's going to have around 10 hours of video tutorials as well. You might also check out our LightWave v9 Texturing (available now) and LightWave v9 Lighting (at the printer and available by the end of this month.

Thanks for the interest and good luck.

Tim McEvoy
Wordware Publishing, Inc.

dablan
04-02-2007, 10:21 AM
Thanks Pleopard - the Inside LightWave v9 book is due out (from Amazon) any day now. We started a trend years ago by including videos on the books DVD, and this new book is no exception. This book is perfect for beginners, and has been the leader in LW books for the past 10 years. It follows "Inside LightWave 3D" "Inside LightWave 6" "Inside LightWave 7" and "Inside LightWave 8."

Good luck!

jin choung
04-04-2007, 09:09 PM
i'll definitely vouch for the INSIDE LIGHTWAVE series of books! that, along with the lightwave power guide (also from dan ablan covering lw 5) basically educated me on the ins and outs of my chosen career!

thanks much for a great and affordable education dan.

at the time, i didn't even have a computer and i certainly didn't have my own license of lw but we had the software at work and i had an opportunity to help start up a little 3d department.

so i took the books home and read them at night in bed from cover to cover.

after i finished reading (and basically ruining the books with all my scribbled notes), i sat down in front of lw at work and discovered that i kinda knew how to do it! i hear that's kinda rare but i REALLY am a book learner and it worked for me!

anyhoo, never got a chance to say so to ya dan so wanted to say it now since you're frequenting the boards - thanks much!

jin

righteous
04-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Hi Dan,

When will Inside LW be available in Aus? I would love to be able to get my mits on it.

chikega
04-04-2007, 10:06 PM
Dan's books are good ... I have them all. But, I was pleasantly surprised at how much stuff was covered in the Essential series. You would do well to add this book to your armentarium. :)

Safe Harbor
04-05-2007, 09:52 AM
the Inside LightWave v9 book is due out (from Amazon) any day now.

Inside LightWave v9 is availabile NOW from Safe Harbor.

http://www.sharbor.com/products/SAMN4000023.html

dablan
04-05-2007, 02:09 PM
Jin and Chikega - thank you for the support. I really appreciate it.

Wonderpup
04-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Tim,

Are there still plans for a dedicated modeling book, or did it get incorporated into the essential lightwave book?. The one gap in your lightwave range is modeling- I'd really like to see one.