PDA

View Full Version : *URGENT* ive got deadline but a major proble,

Gardon
06-22-2003, 06:18 AM
Hello,
My names David,
Im in kinda alot of trouble u seen ive got a deadline to meet which is wednesday!!!! I have a animation which is a computer flythrough of a building i have designed for a very big project. So using my brain i relise 380 frames is going to take quite along time to render at 10mins a frame. So i do the responsible thing and leave it on and hope for the best. But wot does lightwave do it freezes and my computer rebooted. Ive lost bout 130 frames of work not backed up. I dont know why this happened nor why me comp (personal) takes so long. Im using low anitlaising with saslite applyed to 3 layers. I am a newbie compared to some but have been fooling around with lightwave for about a year but this is my break. I have attached a screenshot the freeze. My specs are as follows
-P4 2.4 gigz 800frontside bus
-1gig ddr memory
-80gig 7200 drive with 10 gig left

I really need ur advice and fast especially if its going to take another 50 hours to render, im running out of time and im stressing. Plz nehelp even if its something i can try would help so much
thankyou

Aegis
06-22-2003, 06:51 AM
Couldn't tell you why it's crashing but if you're using ray-traced lights try and make 'em all shadow-mapped spots instead - should speed up rendering a lot.

Reducing the backside fibres in SasLite might provide a speedup with little or no quality loss (can't remember the exact control, I'm using LightWave Express at the moment).

Reducing the Ray Recursion Limit in the "Render Options" panel will speed things up too (at the cost of accuracy).

Mattoo
06-22-2003, 07:53 AM
Here's something I noticed that'll save you crap loads of time if you're experiencing crashes. Render out to individual frames rather than as an anim.

Once the frames are rendered, clear the scene and load the frames as a sequenced background, set the resolution in camera properties to the same and then render it out as an anim.

This way you won't waste hours of rendering every time it crashes. You'll find most people render this way rather than as a movie file.

Aegis
06-22-2003, 08:35 AM
Heh! I should've mentioned that too but *I assumed* David was rendering frames - 'cause on a tight deadline anything else would be just plain crazy eh? ;)

blinblue
06-22-2003, 01:47 PM
I know exactly how you feel (well I didn't have a deadline). But anyway, what is most likely happening (if it is still not working with other people's suggestions) is that your computer is over heating. What you need to do is get a new/better CPU fan and/or a case fan. But if you don't want to waste money without knowing that is your problem get this program (free) it is called speed fan and is really good, it shows the speed of the fans and the temp of the CPU, Hard drive, etc. You can get it here http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php (scroll down to near the bottom to download it). And just watch the first part of your animation, and if you computer gets over a certain temp (each computer CPU has a slightly different threshold) it will crash. So there are two was to fix it, one is get another fan, and the other is to be the fan yourself (i.e blowing the computer non-stop, which isn't very fun).

Side Note: LW should have it so it saves your file as it goes along, so it would keep all the frames you rendered, and when you computer recovers from the crash, it would start where it left off...

Valter
06-22-2003, 03:25 PM
Oh God. I can't help:( But I'm hope that all work fine for you.

Good Luck man

cresshead
06-22-2003, 04:52 PM
if your pc is overheating....take the covers off...and aim a table top electric fan at your motherboard area...should do the trick with no expense and no downtime...fitting bigger fans etc...

oh yeh n good luck!

steve g

Flat
06-23-2003, 05:29 AM
Morality : NEVER EVER render to animation.

Even if you only have LW and no compositing software, just load the rendered sequence as background in an empty scene and render that as anim, it will only take a few seconds, and will save lots of hair from your scalp.

Phil

riki
06-23-2003, 07:06 AM
It's probably too late now, but next time your in a bind, head over to http://www.respower.com/

Lots of people saying good things about them.

06-23-2003, 07:57 AM
You're rendering at pretty low res (640x480) and it looks a pretty simple image, so one suspects that you're doing something silly to annoy Lw enough to render that slow. (never mind the crashes).
Have you looked at the memory usage (in windoze taskmanager) - I suspect you may be exeeding available memory and disk-thrashing.
My guess would be the amount of memory demanded by saslite for it's shadow calculations. If you have a lot of fibres and a lot of lites you can get in big trouble, 'cause saslite calculates ginormouse shadowmaps for itself for every lite in the scene, whether it's lighting the fibres or not !
So check your saslite settings. Never mind the immaculate detail, go for what you can render in time !
And like the man said, change your lights to shaddow mapped, and make damn sure you tick 'cache shadow map' whenever possible (should be no problem in a flythrough).
Note that the shadow map size only affects memory use during rendering. A 1024 shadow map takes LW exactly the same length of time to calculate as a 128 one - it just remembers it less accurately !
Go for enhanced low antialiasing, & no way should you need 2 segments for an image that small - change your memory allocation in camera settings.

As you are now rendering to image files, render any sections without the sas subjects in view separately, with sas turned off !
If still stuck, post more details - camera/render/sas settings, test stills, etc

trentonia
06-23-2003, 10:22 AM
Here we go again....go to http://www.respower.com You can render all 380 frames in less than a half hour at a cost of about $75.00 american. Check it out. The guys are extremely friendly and helpful. They will do what they can to help you make your deadline.
greg

Aegis
06-23-2003, 03:41 PM
I'd be very impressed if they can network-render with SasLite seeing as it's not ScreamerNet compatible :D

Can you just subsitute Sasquatch? Would ResPower do that? Would they charge extra for amending the scene?

trentonia
06-23-2003, 07:49 PM
http://www.respower.com can render the full version of sasquatch. You have to contact them and ask if they would ammend your files. I suspect they would be willing to. They've always been very helpful to me.
greg

feckit
06-24-2003, 05:35 AM
How exactly do you get LW to show your image sequence as a movie? If you could give details of how you load the image sequence in and then render it back out as a movie, please.
This would make a great tutorial - some of you guys should make a tut like this. I bet the majority of amateurs render to AVI as default.

Aegis
06-24-2003, 11:04 AM
1. Open a new LightWave scene

2. Got to Image Editor and load your sequence (you may have to change your Image Type to sequence)

3. Disable the Alpha Channel

4. Go to the "Scene" tab then click on "Backdrop" and "Compositing"

5. Select your loaded image sequence as the Background image

6. Go to the Camera properties and choose your render resolution (normally the same as the sequence)

7. Go to Render options, click on "Save animation" and pick your output format and file name/location

8. Hit F10 to render

:)