PDA

View Full Version : Inside LightWave v9 - released

dablan
03-29-2007, 10:58 PM
Hey LW'ers -
I came home today to find a box with a copy of Inside LightWave v9!
So, that means shipments have gone out, and I'd imagine it (the book) will
show up at retailers within the week.

Please note that I'm very proud of this book - but it is geared towards beginners. The text is very tight thanks to our workhorse of an editor. He really questioned paragraphs and tutorials to make sure we were on track.
It is written for 9.2, and things like the Real Lens, and additions to the Global Renders are included.

However, even as an introductory to LightWave, I've included hours of videos on the DVD. These videos take the chapters further, covering bones, more nodes, and so on. Now, there's even more that I couldn't fit into the book, or onto the DVD, so there's about 500MB of additional videos, specifically for the last four chapters, available as a download from 3D Garage.com. Again, these are just for the book, and not related to our LightWave v9 courseware.

So, I hope you like it. We've got an awesome cover from William Vaughan and Alejandro Parrilla.

Lastly, if you have questions, or need info on something else - feel free to email me directly at dablan at earthlink.net.

akademus
03-29-2007, 11:40 PM
Great news, glad to see another one. Great news!

StereoMike
03-30-2007, 10:09 AM
Great you made one for 9.

mike

WilliamVaughan
03-30-2007, 11:16 AM
I cant wait...this is going ot be an awesome addition to the other Inside books! Congrats on this major accomplishment...I know it's no small task!

mattclary
03-30-2007, 11:56 AM
Reported

Just kidding! :thumbsup:

erich
03-30-2007, 12:10 PM
Hi Dan. Just wondering what some of the projects are in the book? Also, where are the videos? I don't see them on 3dgarage.

borkus
03-30-2007, 12:27 PM
amazon says i'll have it by april 3rd. sigh..... "patience, young danielson..."

Earl
03-30-2007, 12:28 PM
Congrats Dan! :D

Signal to Noise
03-30-2007, 12:37 PM
Awesome news and congrats, Dan!

Even though you stress the fact the book is geared towards beginners, I will still be buying Inside 9 for the new features of LW 9.2 being covered as well as to not break up my Inside set on the bookcase! :)

dablan
03-30-2007, 02:16 PM
Thanks guys -
the videos are up on a private site. You need to book to download them.
We'll have the links active once the book hits stores, primarily Amazon.
The password to download the files will be found in the book.

The table of contents can be found here:
http://www.danablan.com/inlw9_toc.pdf

aa1037
03-30-2007, 02:41 PM
Hi Dan,

Speaking of videos - I seem to remember reading somewhere that you'll have updated 9.2 videos for those of us with the 9 Signature course? If so, anytime frame on that?

Thanks again and looking forward to the new book!

erich
03-30-2007, 02:57 PM
Hi Dan. Thanks for the quick response. I was hoping, though, that you would tell us a bit more about the projects in the book. I have seen the TOC before, but it really does not tell me very much about the actual objects/characters that the tutorials will be about. Any final renders you can show us from the book?

I usuallly like to exam a book before I buy it, but since my local Chapters does not have it (do you know if Chapters will be carrying it?), I have to rely on other means.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.
E.

dablan
03-30-2007, 03:13 PM
aa1037 - as stated on the front page of the 3DGarage.com site, we'll have the 9.2 videos for free download to existing customers later next week - so no worries there.

erich - the book is designed to teach the user LightWave v9 through a series of projects. In some, you're using primitive shapes (such as in the nodes chapter) to understand how the nodes work. But, later, you'll model still life objects like a banana, grapes, an orange - and texture them with nodes, light and render. You'll model a fun penguin, then rig and weight it. You'll build from images in Modeler to create a video ipod, which is followed up with texturing and lighting in the form of a video tutorial on the DVD. So, it's projects like that. Simple but effective to teach the tools. In past books, we built more complex things, but those tutorials took 100 pages. I only had 700 pages to work with this time, and LightWave is so massive in features it's hard to get everything covered. But, I just about squeezed it all in.

Hope that helps,
Dan

dablan
03-30-2007, 03:17 PM
As for the bookstores - not sure. Peachpit is the larges computer book publisher in the world, so I'd imagine they'd get it to your location. Ask your bookstore - they can always order it for you. Unfortunately, LW doesn't have the following of Max or Photoshop, and some stores opt not to carry the books.

As a note - I only write these things. I have no control over pages, printing, DVDs that are missing, or cracked, or pages that are ripped, and so on. If you loose your DVD, I don't have replacements. I do not print or burn the DVDs. My studio does not sell the book (it's cheaper on Amazon), and I don't have freebies to give away to schools, churches, or poor college students. Sorry! The publisher however is good about supporting education so please contact them with any specific needs. Again, i just write 'em. :)

Just thought I'd throw that out there before the emails start :)

Bill Carey
03-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Ahhh, glad to hear you got the 9.2 features in. Amazon was getting annoying with the "Please confirm you still want this emails', looking forward to it!

JeffrySG
03-30-2007, 07:13 PM
the book is designed to teach the user LightWave v9 through a series of projects.

I'm really looking forward to using the book to guide me in my beginning use of LW. It sound like just what I was looking for. I hope it turns out to be a great seller... so much so that maybe they'll convince you to write ILW 10.0!

:jam:

erich
03-30-2007, 11:51 PM
Thanks Dan. I really appreciate the info.

Cheers.
Erich

Bill Carey
03-31-2007, 06:39 AM
Ouch, just got a notice from Amazon that it won't ship until June. Surprising after reading Dan's post.

dablan
03-31-2007, 07:37 AM
Bill - I said before, please don't listen to Amazon. While they carry everything and their prices are good - whomever runs their shipping department doesn't have updated information. Books shipped out last week from the printer. Mine arrived yesterday. It takes a few more days to get to Kentucky (or wherever the *** Amazon is) and then, it takes another day or so for the stock-folk to unpack, and get the book into the computers to update the site. While they move really slow doing this, I don't think it'll take two months :)

dablan
03-31-2007, 07:40 AM
I'm really looking forward to using the book to guide me in my beginning use of LW. It sound like just what I was looking for. I hope it turns out to be a great seller... so much so that maybe they'll convince you to write ILW 10.0!

:jam:

Thank you very much - I appreciate that.
Not writing a book for 10 isn't just about sales. There are other factors, which, as I thought, I'm already beginning to see in other threads :)
Don't worry though - I'm still planning on lots of LightWave training.

nthused
03-31-2007, 07:51 AM
You da man, Dan. Inside will go on my desk soon. I was going to say "go on my shelf" - but a book on a shelf is kind of useless...

dablan
03-31-2007, 08:23 AM
Appreciate it.

Say, let's do a give away.
Let me come up with something. I'll post later today.

T-Light
03-31-2007, 10:05 AM
Very best of luck with it Dan, hope you make a mint :thumbsup:

Actually, if you're not giving away books, would you mind giving away the ingredients to your magic 'hard work & dedication recipe', because d*mn, I could seriously use some of that stuff right now :D

Bill Carey
03-31-2007, 10:36 AM
Bill - I said before, please don't listen to Amazon. While they carry everything and their prices are good - whomever runs their shipping department doesn't have updated information. Books shipped out last week from the printer. Mine arrived yesterday. It takes a few more days to get to Kentucky (or wherever the *** Amazon is) and then, it takes another day or so for the stock-folk to unpack, and get the book into the computers to update the site. While they move really slow doing this, I don't think it'll take two months :)

No worries, it was more of a comment on Amazon, not you. :) I just got a phone message from Cingular that my rebate was starting to get processed and I should look for it in 6-8 weeks. It came in the mail two weeks ago. I'm amazed some businesses function.

dablan
03-31-2007, 10:54 AM
Those rebates are a joke. That is, they send them on a Mastercard debit card. Which means, it's very difficult to use the exact amount of your rebate. So, millions of people with rebates end up not spending a few bucks on the cards. More muhla for Cingular. Clever.

Bill Carey
03-31-2007, 08:05 PM
Worse yet, I have two of them. :thumbsdow When I get to the end I'll make sure I save it for when there's no one else in line, lol. I'll bet you're right about most people just throwing them out though.

jaf
04-01-2007, 08:35 AM
I wish I had read this thread first. I got the "June 7 delivery" message from Amazon this morning. After being on order since last November, I decided to cancel.

dablan
04-01-2007, 08:50 AM
Sorry to hear that. Not sure what good canceling will do -
Amazon always has it first.

jaf
04-01-2007, 10:49 AM
Well your first post in tis thread said you returned home to find a copy of your book and it will be in retail outlets very soon. When I saw the June 7 delivery date email from Amazon I thought I could get it quicker somewhere else. Then the additions to this thread about Amazon's poor shipping department....

Anyway, I wrote Amazon with a "why" and pointed them to this thread. How they came up with a June 7 date is strange. Something caused them to react to a new shipping date.

I'll buy your book, but I'm not going to support Amazon unless they explain to me why this won't happen with another order from them in the future.:thumbsdow

jaf
04-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Here's part of the response I got from Amazon (guess the publisher is the problem?)

Please allow me to explain:

I apologize for any misunderstanding about the delivery estimate for
your order. Please note that we rely on the publisher for release
date information.

It appears that this release has been delayed. We do not have any
information on the updated release date at this time.

As soon as the item has been released, we'll be able to ship it to
you.

I've also looked up your account and found that you have
cancelled "Inside LightWave v9" item by yourself via our web site.

As per our standard policy, we do not charge you for items until
they enter the shipping process, so you will not be charged for this
item until it is available and we have shipped it to you. Rest
assured you are not charged for this item in your account.

In addition to a wide selection of items, one of our aims at
Amazon.com is to provide a convenient and efficient service; in this
case, we have not met that standard.

I am truly sorry that we were not able to fulfill your expectations
for this level of service. I hope that you will give us another
opportunity to prove the quality of our service to you.

androidmaker
04-01-2007, 12:26 PM
How about a contest with invading penguins? Base the score on concept, texture, and lighting? (I love penguins)

BLackey
04-01-2007, 12:37 PM
How about a contest with invading penguins? Base the score on concept, texture, and lighting? (I love penguins)

Ive been on the net to long .. I see Penguins flapping their arms to the Badger badger badger song .....arrgh :eek:

RudySchneider
04-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Got my shipping delay notice (again) from Amazon this morning, too. I also placed my original order back in November. I accepted the delay, but posted an email to Customer Service:

"I've already approved the delay in my order, but I'd still like an explanation. I understand from the author, Dan Ablan, that the book is now in full publish. Perhaps Mr. Jeff Bezos should not be surprized at the reduced popularity of Amazon, given that disparity..."

Eric Walters
04-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Dan,

Hooray! I was looking around in bookstores this weekend...

Eric

Hey LW'ers -
I came home today to find a box with a copy of Inside LightWave v9!
So, that means shipments have gone out, and I'd imagine it (the book) will
show up at retailers within the week.

Please note that I'm very proud of this book - but it is geared towards beginners. The text is very tight thanks to our workhorse of an editor. He really questioned paragraphs and tutorials to make sure we were on track.
It is written for 9.2, and things like the Real Lens, and additions to the Global Renders are included.

However, even as an introductory to LightWave, I've included hours of videos on the DVD. These videos take the chapters further, covering bones, more nodes, and so on. Now, there's even more that I couldn't fit into the book, or onto the DVD, so there's about 500MB of additional videos, specifically for the last four chapters, available as a download from 3D Garage.com. Again, these are just for the book, and not related to our LightWave v9 courseware.

So, I hope you like it. We've got an awesome cover from William Vaughan and Alejandro Parrilla.

Lastly, if you have questions, or need info on something else - feel free to email me directly at dablan at earthlink.net.

dablan
04-01-2007, 06:19 PM
Well, thanks for your patience guys. As I said, don't trust Amazon on those dates. They do get their info from the publisher - but often, Amazon's systems aren't updated as it appears.

For example, we sell the 3D Garage training through Amazon. An order will come through. We send it, watch the tracking, and see that it's been delivered and signed for. It can take 7 or 10 days for the listings to show that the course is in. That's how they work. And, giving them some credit, they do have hundreds of thousands of products. Our little LightWave world is pretty darn small in comparison to everything else they sell. :)

Qexit
04-02-2007, 04:20 AM
I'll be placing my order for a copy as soon as Amazon.co.uk bring their price a bit more in line with Amazon.com. Money is a little tight so the difference between $37.79 in the US and 42.99 here in the UK is something of a stumbling block right now :thumbsdow

colkai
04-02-2007, 05:37 AM
Yup, double the price, (currency rate conversion), OUCH!

mattclary
04-02-2007, 07:09 AM
Ive been on the net to long .. I see Penguins flapping their arms to the Badger badger badger song .....arrgh :eek:

I see penguins flapping but hear "linux linux linux linux linux VISTAAA OOOHHH VISTAAA linux linux linux..."

:beerchug:

mattclary
04-02-2007, 07:14 AM
I'll be placing my order for a copy as soon as Amazon.co.uk bring their price a bit more in line with Amazon.com. Money is a little tight so the difference between $37.79 in the US and 42.99 here in the UK is something of a stumbling block right now :thumbsdow

Dude, that's seriously f-ed up! That should be costing you 19 according to my calculations.

Man, it sucks to be European. :cry:

Well... or at least to have to LIVE in Europe. ;)

Safe Harbor
04-03-2007, 10:53 AM
We just got a large shipment of the books in... they are on the shelf!

http://www.sharbor.com/products/SAMN4000023.html

archiea
04-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Thanks, Dan, you complete the LW trainign experience... or for dome beginit!! I hope you reconsider this being your last. Either way, thank you!!!

dablan
04-03-2007, 11:09 AM
Tiffani - good to know! See, someone is selling them!

I sent you the updated cover :)

Qexit
04-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Dude, that's seriously f-ed up! That should be costing you 19 according to my calculations.Yup, and anything over 15 gets free shipping too. If it were that price I could order it today as I have 20 of Amazon vouchers to hand :)

Man, it sucks to be European. :cry:

Well... or at least to have to LIVE in Europe. ;)I agree, so it's a good thing I'm British and live in the United Kingdom :D :dance: :neener:

Safe Harbor
04-03-2007, 11:20 AM
Tiffani - good to know! See, someone is selling them!

I sent you the updated cover :)

Got it, thanks!

These are selling fast, so if you want one, don't wait too long.

Tiger
04-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Patience is one of the most valuable virtues of life. :)

BLackey
04-04-2007, 02:18 PM
Amazon has lost their minds - It's listed as 4 -6 week delievery now - but the buy new or used lists 2 other books store with it in stock.

Any one happen to have seen this in LA or OC today ? Ill stop somewhere on my fun commute from LAX to OC today 8~

dablan
04-04-2007, 02:26 PM
It's nuts. I know.

Publisher tells me it'll be listed their very soon - as soon as it's (the book) added to their inventory. They're on top of the situation.

Thanks for the support.

jaf
04-05-2007, 06:25 PM
Well, I'm back to having the book on order, but from Safe Harbor, not Amazon.

I'm completely new to LW and starting at the version 9 level. I've been looking forward to getting this book for months and that "June 7 delivery" from Amazon, even though it wasn't true, just hit me at a bad time.:)

Just wish someone from Amazon would see this thread and fix their problem. They obviously have a communications problem.

Bill Carey
04-05-2007, 07:46 PM
I got a note from Amazon assuring me that the June date was valid and gave a me a $5 credit for my patience. So, I bought the LW9 Lighting book. The letter explained that they wouldn't have the book in for another 6 weeks, add 2 for getting it into inventory, then shipping you get the delivery date.

I think I hear music and the voice of Rod Serling...... :eek:

jaf
04-06-2007, 08:56 PM
I got a note from Amazon assuring me that the June date was valid and gave a me a $5 credit for my patience. So, I bought the LW9 Lighting book. The letter explained that they wouldn't have the book in for another 6 weeks, add 2 for getting it into inventory, then shipping you get the delivery date.

I think I hear music and the voice of Rod Serling...... :eek:

Really strange I can't believe a publisher would purposely give out a bad release date (as it seemed Amazon said to me in their response on the June 7 date) I thought the idea for both the publisher and Amazon was to sell.

After giving the link to this thread, with Dan's input, I thought Amazon would at least look and see if there was a problem. And especially after a competitor (Safe Harbor) added they had the book in stock.

Bill Carey
04-06-2007, 09:15 PM
Really strange I can't believe a publisher would purposely give out a bad release date (as it seemed Amazon said to me in their response on the June 7 date) I thought the idea for both the publisher and Amazon was to sell.

After giving the link to this thread, with Dan's input, I thought Amazon would at least look and see if there was a problem. And especially after a competitor (Safe Harbor) added they had the book in stock.

I know what you mean. I told them that I KNEW it had shipped and that they weren't normally last in line to get a book, but it had no effect. They are devoid of a sense of humor on this one. But I did get $5 towards another book, so what the heck. :thumbsup:

dablan
04-06-2007, 09:36 PM
There's no way in hell it'll take 2 more months for Amazon to get the book. Something has changed there - for example, in the past Amazon had these books in their system almost immediately. Smaller places like Safe Harbor would not get them until much later (as would I). Well, the tables have turned I guess. But, even so - Amazon has really dropped the ball, not just on this, but on many things. More and more, I see orders coming from third parties, and not from them. Crappy packaging, snail mail without tracking... all the reasons you avoid small places and buy from Amazon in the first place.

Alright - well, I appreciate people wanting the book so much - so what I'll do is sell the few author copies I have. At some point this weekend, I'll get the book on our 3D Garage storefront, and put up a link on my danablan.com site. I'll match Amazon's price. Shipping is much more expensive for us, as we don't have the "deal" like Amazon does with UPS. So, we'll set a flat rate and cover the rest. These have to be U.S. only right now - sorry.

Hope that helps! And thanks!

dablan
04-06-2007, 10:23 PM
Ok folks -
try this....
http://tinyurl.com/ynkydq
I can't get the websites updated until Monday, but the storefront should be active. I only have a few. Shipping is about $6 UPS Ground. Book price is same as Amazon's.

Bill Carey
04-07-2007, 05:03 AM
There's no way in hell it'll take 2 more months for Amazon to get the book. Something has changed there - for example, in the past Amazon had these books in their system almost immediately. Smaller places like Safe Harbor would not get them until much later (as would I). Well, the tables have turned I guess. But, even so - Amazon has really dropped the ball, not just on this, but on many things. More and more, I see orders coming from third parties, and not from them. Crappy packaging, snail mail without tracking... all the reasons you avoid small places and buy from Amazon in the first place.

Alright - well, I appreciate people wanting the book so much - so what I'll do is sell the few author copies I have. At some point this weekend, I'll get the book on our 3D Garage storefront, and put up a link on my danablan.com site. I'll match Amazon's price. Shipping is much more expensive for us, as we don't have the "deal" like Amazon does with UPS. So, we'll set a flat rate and cover the rest. These have to be U.S. only right now - sorry.

Hope that helps! And thanks!

Dan,

Thanks, but I'll just wait and see what Amazon finally does about this, and I'll do what I can to make them understand what this does to their reputation and the likelihood of me using them again. I've always had great service from them, this is an anomaly, not sure what's up over there. Probably some worthless MBA had a brainstorm on how to save $.05 per book. Let's try to get him fired, shall we?

dablan
04-07-2007, 07:16 AM
sounds like a plan Bill -
I bet things will change on Amazon in the next few days.

androidmaker
04-07-2007, 08:16 AM
i got mine from walmart and it will be here on the 11th, so they are shipping

Bill Carey
04-07-2007, 01:15 PM
sounds like a plan Bill -
I bet things will change on Amazon in the next few days.

Just finished trading a few emails and phone call, these guys are thick as a brick. I'll probably move my order Monday when I verify I'm dealing with someone that has them in stock, unless I get an email saying they got it straighted out. As of now Amazon doesn't think anything is wrong, they are sending emails wanting me to confirm the issue is 'resolved'.

Anyone have an address to Amazon corporate?

borkus
04-07-2007, 05:21 PM
don't know if this is the email that you got, bill. but i got one stating that they were very sorry, and that the book is on back order from the supplier. they gave me $5 promo coup and changed my 2 day air to same day air and waived the shipping cost. but they did say that they had no definitive answer yet to when they would have the book in stock, but guaranteed that it would be before the estimated shipping date. they said that they were doing all they could to resolve the issue. i was born at night, it just wasn't last night... so this could simply be a line of something stinking you don't want to step in. but it is also possible that this is just some anomaly or fluke with them. this is the first time i've ever had ANY problems with amazon. been doing business with them for years. but that also doesn't mean that they can't digress either...

dablan
04-07-2007, 05:26 PM
Again guys - everything they tell you is based on what they see in their system. So, if they have no book in stock, and their systems aren't updated - you'll get the same exact answer.

Frankly guys, I wouldn't waste more time with them. They'll get it when they get it. Safe Harbor has them - I have some for sale at the link above....

so... enjoy your weekend.

Bill Carey
04-07-2007, 06:54 PM
Again guys - everything they tell you is based on what they see in their system. So, if they have no book in stock, and their systems aren't updated - you'll get the same exact answer.

Frankly guys, I wouldn't waste more time with them. They'll get it when they get it. Safe Harbor has them - I have some for sale at the link above....

so... enjoy your weekend.

I did order one from your site, thanks for making them available. But, I'll keep working Amazon, I do this all week, may as put in some overtime. ;)

Bill Carey
04-07-2007, 08:03 PM
don't know if this is the email that you got, bill. but i got one stating that they were very sorry, and that the book is on back order from the supplier. they gave me $5 promo coup and changed my 2 day air to same day air and waived the shipping cost. ........either...

Yep, got the same song and dance, time to cancel the order and see if enough of that wakes them up. They also added that this would NOT happen with the back-ordered lighting and texturing books. As far as I know, those really are not out yet.

androidmaker
04-13-2007, 03:18 PM
I have receved my copy today. so far it look good.

BLackey
04-13-2007, 05:39 PM
I Got mine from Dan this week, been in Tut video overload for days :) fast , and no Amazon twighlight zone stuff

Thanks for all Dan , Its a great book

dablan
04-13-2007, 07:11 PM
Great! Thanks much.
Don't forget, there are more videos to download to go with the book - visit www.danablan.com. You'll need to have the book to get them. Instructions are on the site.

Qexit
04-14-2007, 03:30 AM
I'll be placing my order for a copy as soon as Amazon.co.uk bring their price a bit more in line with Amazon.com. Money is a little tight so the difference between $37.79 in the US and 42.99 here in the UK is something of a stumbling block right now :thumbsdowGosh, Amazon has jumped in with a massive price reduction....it's now down to 'only' 40.89p :eek: Looks like I'll be going through one of the Marketplace Traders as they are only asking 21.06p + postage :thumbsup:

colkai
04-14-2007, 04:07 AM
Likewise, A1books looks like the place I'll be buying from. :)

Bill Carey
04-14-2007, 07:48 AM
Got mine too, thanks Dan!!

Signal to Noise
04-14-2007, 10:02 AM
There's still a delay for the books here in Canada thru Amazon or Chapters. :/

colkai
04-14-2007, 10:55 AM
Ordered, I can wait an extra 10 days to save over 15 quid methinks. :)

jaf
04-14-2007, 12:13 PM
Yup, got mine too, from Safe Harbor.

I like the style of the book already. I usually skim through the front of a book, but I'm actually reading every word and I'm liking it.

JeffrySG
04-14-2007, 01:57 PM
Has anyone received it yet from Amazon U.S.? I'm getting antsy...

RudySchneider
04-14-2007, 03:12 PM
Has anyone received it yet from Amazon U.S.? I'm getting antsy...

I'm with you! I originally advance-ordered it last November, and I'm STILL waiting It'll be quite some time before I comnsider giving Jeff Bezos more of my businesss.

borkus
04-14-2007, 05:35 PM
i canceled my order thru amazon. was going to wait it out because of the free 1 day shipping. that is until they sent me an email to review the book. oh, you're so funny amazon... i would be so happy to do a review for you on a book you haven't delivered to me yet...

dablan
04-16-2007, 02:03 PM
Amazon is sending out emails today that the book is now shipping "sooner than expected" - but it's not yet listed in stock. Hopefully this week.

JeffrySG
04-16-2007, 09:35 PM
ahhh.... very sweet... It might actually arrive the same time my LW box arrives.... hmmm... karma....

ginhan
04-16-2007, 10:03 PM
yeah I preordered from amazon... canceled it.. but liked the savings on the free saving... ordered it again.. and still waiting...
uuuhhh.

colkai
04-17-2007, 02:27 AM
Just got a confirmation EMail from A1Books, my copy has been dispatched, should take 10-16 days to travel overland/sea to reach me, but for the saving over Amazon.co.uk it's worth the wait. :)

zapper1998
04-17-2007, 04:02 AM
As for the bookstores - not sure. Peachpit is the larges computer book publisher in the world, so I'd imagine they'd get it to your location. Ask your bookstore - they can always order it for you. Unfortunately, LW doesn't have the following of Max or Photoshop, and some stores opt not to carry the books.
:)

That is just WRONG..... LW not having the following of Max and PS.

I hope my book is on the way, preordered the book.

Thank You Dan

Michael

philhoole
04-17-2007, 08:12 AM
If anyone in the UK is looking for this then I can recommend bookfellas.co.uk

I got mine this morning - Paid 32 - Still shown as in stock too.

Phil

dablan
04-17-2007, 09:08 AM
Looks like Amazon FINALLY has the books in and they are shipping.

Here's the LINK (http://www.amazon.com/dp/0321426843?tag=danablandotcom&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=0321426843&adid=0PE44BMJW60A24H1D7CC&)

Gary Wales
04-17-2007, 09:31 AM
Oh Mama, they most certainly are.

Now begins the 3 week journey from Amazon to the UK, pity the poor postie obviously walking the distance...

T-Light
04-17-2007, 08:58 PM
Gary Wales -

pity the poor postie obviously walking the distance...
:D That would be my girlfriend, She loves the transatlantic walks, says the sea air does Her good.

On the Amazon issue again, ordered a force feedback wheel from them last week. It said I could order in the next few hours and receive it two days later. I made the order and it said...

Dispatch estimate for these items: 13 May 2007 - 27 May 2007
Delivery estimate: 16 May 2007 - 4 Jun 2007
Oh yeah, A MONTH? Well that's just fab :thumbsdow
I ordered anyway and was stunned when several kilos of 'Free Delivery' steering wheel arrived this morning :eek:

What on earth are they up to?

colkai
04-18-2007, 02:35 AM
Dispatched from A1 Books, confirmation and info email says between 4 and 14 days - whoo hoo. :)

iainbyoung
04-18-2007, 03:10 AM
Looks like Amazon FINALLY has the books in and they are shipping.

Here's the LINK (http://www.amazon.com/dp/0321426843?tag=danablandotcom&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=0321426843&adid=0PE44BMJW60A24H1D7CC&)

Just had an eail from them (amazon.uk) this morning saying it has been delayed yet again (I've had it on order since before xmas). Think I'm going to cancel and get it from bookfellas instead...

JeffrySG
04-18-2007, 04:47 PM
Just got an email from Amazon US that it's shipping today...

yay! :)

RudySchneider
04-18-2007, 06:12 PM
Just got an email from Amazon US that it's shipping today...

yay! :)

Me, too. IT'S ABOUT TIME! Lookin' forward to dabbling with D-Ablan.

Mark The Great
04-19-2007, 06:38 PM
Oh, man, it's finally out? *is addicted to Inside Lightwave 8*

proprioception
04-23-2007, 09:16 PM
I just got to Chapter 6 in the book and I am now being told by Lightwave that I need a newer version of Lightwave (I am currently on v9 - not 9.2 which is not yet released). Has anyone had similar issues? Is there a download of files compatible with v9.0?

Any assistance would be appreciated. I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere in the forums.

dablan
04-23-2007, 09:52 PM
Please see this thread:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67378

The book is for 9.2. Assuming you have 9.0, you can register for the open beta.
Thanks.

zapper1998
05-17-2007, 07:41 PM
Hey Dan ??

Is there a link to Chp 15 Video ???

down loaded 12,13,14, looking for chp 15...

also in chp 16

the files did not have the .lwo, and the .lws, after the names???

Michael

dablan
05-18-2007, 08:25 AM
I still need to upload CH15.

Extensions - yeah, good ole Mac / PC thing...
Just add them and they'll load fine.

zapper1998
05-18-2007, 01:55 PM
ok, me waiting, patiently, will you upload it in the next 10 minutes ??????? :lol: :lol:

:2guns:

OMG, I am hooked......addicted to the thing, :ohmy:

:lightwave :bangwall: :compbeati :I_Love_Ne :bump:

THANK YOU
And have a GREAT day.. Dan

:D michael

dablan
05-20-2007, 09:45 AM
It'll be later this week or after.
We have multiple projects going at the studio, as well as the LightWave v9 Tune Up training course to get out for those of you that took advantage of NewTek's upgrade bundle.

Dexter2999
05-20-2007, 09:57 AM
This is for Dan,

I had suggested bundling training software with LW (in a gripe thread over at SQ) as a way of attracting new users. I was wondering how well this might have worked from a packaging incentive. Have you noticed a brisk upturn on your end or is it business as usual?

zapper1998
05-21-2007, 07:53 PM
AWESOME yes that is....

dablan
05-21-2007, 08:01 PM
The TuneUp course I've created specifically for the NewTek bundle is sort of a QuickStart tutorial, taking you through Modeler and Layout with modeling, animation, texturing, lighting and rendering. I'm not sure how this affects NewTek sales, but as a user, I find it to be a great incentive. That is, the entire bundle as an incentive. I think all software manufacturers should do this. It's a great way for users to learn the software, and a great way for third party developers to expose themselves (haha) to new markets.

So, people - upgrade to 9.2!!!

GandB
05-29-2007, 01:47 PM
I've just finished browsing over the book and the included videos. I would have paid the same price I paid for the whole book, just for these additional training videos (and I haven't even gotten to the extra ones up for download). Nothing in the book's videos is the same as the Signature Course (which I also have).

So if anyone has Dan's Signature course, and was wondering if it's worth the extra little bit for the book as well.....it absolutely is.:thumbsup:

@ Dan: Have you thought about bundling the book and the Signature Course on your site (maybe just as a special)?

-Keith

dablan
05-29-2007, 02:15 PM
Thanks Keith - glad you like it.
Well, bundles are not too easy as we produce the 3D Garage videos in house, where as the books, I just write them. What the books cost for us to purchase and ship really doesn't make it worthwhile. Perhaps if I self publish some day :)

GandB
05-29-2007, 05:25 PM
Well the book is priced so ridiculously low, it might not make that big of a difference anyways. :)