PDA

View Full Version : Scaling issue. Need some help

chrispmott
03-29-2007, 07:32 PM
Alright, here is what I have. In this scene an acoustically tagged fish is swimming through a hydrophone array. Every few seconds the tag emits an acoustic pulse. The pulse is then picked up by the four hydrophones at different times. I want to show these detections with a similar pulse originating from the tips of the hydrophones. The acoustic pulse is created from, as someone suggested here, scaling a sphere out from the fish. I want to do this same thing for the hydrophone detections. I am having a problem with this because the spheres are so small, about 30mm. The scene grid is set to 20m. I have tried and tried to scale these small spheres out far enough to be seen, but can't seem to make it work. Any suggestions?

toby
03-29-2007, 08:58 PM
If your grid size is 20m you'll find it difficult to work with objects that are only 30mm - try changing the grid to 500mm. (bracket keys).

Are you sure you haven't scaled the spheres so big that the camera is inside them?

chrispmott
03-29-2007, 09:30 PM
I've tried that and it doesn't seem to matter. I also zoomed out to see if the camera was inside the sphere and that wasn't the case either. I have tried scaling slowly throughout a massive range, and it just doesn't seem to scale the sphere.

Extent
03-29-2007, 11:13 PM
Could the pivot point be off and it be scaling off the grid?

If you're still having problems I'ld probably try modeling the spheres as mid sized in modeler and then shrink them down to the 30mm size in layout, rather than just scaling the tiny object up.

chrispmott
03-29-2007, 11:48 PM
Thats a really good idea. I'll try that. Thanks. Sometimes you can stare at something all day long and miss the easiest things.