PDA

View Full Version : Casio SK-1 Sampler Synth

ArtGoblin
03-29-2007, 05:08 PM
A friend of my sent me a link of this sweet gadget over at e-bay... I'm not sure if he made a bid in it, but at least I got some sweet refrence picture of it.

Here it's finished. I'm not totally 100% happy with the render, I feel like it's missing "the edge" or something. But since I wasn't really sure whether I would ever have tolerance to model this thing in the first place, and even texturing it, then I think I can be happy with how far I took it. But now I can maybe move on to other things.

So what do you guys think? is it a good or an average render?

Any tips on how I could take this scene further, texture- and lightningwise would be most appriciated.
http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/4586/casiostilllifebig01lowrof1.jpg

Here's a link to the HighRes Version:
http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/7773/casiostilllifebig01xa3.jpg

starbase1
03-30-2007, 03:45 AM
Has the original really go that mottled blue texture>?

Anyway - I think you need to rest it on something - place it in an environment. Many textures don't come alive until there is something for them to reflect.

It also looks like you need a fine bevel on those sharp square edges, this will make a highlight run along it in a nice way.

Nick

ArtGoblin
03-30-2007, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the feedback Nick. Yeah, the refrence I used has this funky mottled blue texture. I don't think I nailed it accacly the same, but it's something similar. Take a look at the ref below for comparison. I tried out some test renders with HDRI lightning but I still didn't see a huge difference. Every edge on everything from the outershell of the keyboard down to all the buttons has some microbevels, so that's probably me not knowing how to work with Lights that's killing the scene. I don't know, I can send you the lwo file if you want to judge the modelling itself, maybe all those microbevels I did are useless labor, I'm not sure.

Mr Maze
03-30-2007, 11:16 AM
Neat. Audio gear is cool. I plan on doing a turntable myself soon - collecting reference material still.

I like the cables coming out of your ref picture - they would add a nice touch. Something that has been working for me is to make a light that only affects specular and put it at a 45 to the camera - and nail those bevels. That should light them up.

Sarford
03-30-2007, 06:25 PM
hmmm... looks to me your scaling is off. For instance, those little red push-buttons on the front, left from the keys are too small compared to the picture. Also, the blue keys seem to broad and don't have enough height, tulip plugs on top are too small, push buttons above the keys are a tiny bit off etc.

Also you should make your bevels bigger. Right now it all seems rather hard edge.

I would also increase the reflection value of the keys and the plastic plate above it (the one with the buttons). In your picture it looks like fancy brushed metal yet on the picture it seems like cheapo plastic.

I'm not trashing your modeling here (at least, I don't mean to), its just that you can texture and light a scene as good as you want, you still have that nagging feeling that something isn't right. What I mean to say is, for a great render, the scaling of your objects (in relation to eachother) is just as important as good textures and sassy lighting.

Very funky keyboard though, I wouldn't mind owning one of those :)

ArtGoblin
04-13-2007, 06:27 PM
Hi I made a second render of this model with some tiny updates in the model, but dramatic changes in lightning and texturing. Hope you like......

http://img452.imageshack.us/img452/2306/casiostilllife14ig0.jpg

Mr Maze: Thanks man, I shear the same fetish for audio gear, it's a beuty ain't it. Thanks for the bevel highlight tip! I didn't go with that one since I decided on HDRI lighting in the end. Added some jack-cables, they really do a lot for the image.

Starford: Yepp.... I agree on you on all points there. I didn't fix it all up, but some small steps were made for randomation on the model where it would be natural. I would like to model this piece again someday and do it more correctly in form and scale, but since I finally got a decent render out of it, I'm gonna give the Casio a break for a long while now. Thanks a lot for the pointers!

starbase1
04-14-2007, 06:15 AM
Nice! very nice!

Is it really that small though? Those parquet tiles make it look about 6 inches long - I suggest shrinking the tiles a bit...

Nick

2vertacie
04-15-2007, 09:17 AM
Nice, love the modeling!

cresshead
04-15-2007, 09:57 AM
the sk1 had very small keys...there were no plug sockets or cables though in the real one...it retailed for about 69 back in the early 90's...i had it's larger brother a full size 5 octave sampler with midi the FZ-1 which was 1849 retail and had 2mb ram!

http://www.retrosound.de/sk1-2.JPG

http://www.amazona.de/media/articles/article_images/article_95/1_FZ1-2.jpg

ArtGoblin
04-15-2007, 05:59 PM
starbase1: Thanks man, I'm sorry about the parket panels, I agree with you that they are way out of scale. I was kinda hurrying to be finished with this model so I just threw some ground plane from a recent test I was doing and pressed F9. But If I decide to re-render this polygonheavy mutha, I'm gonna fix this.

2vertacie: Thanks, means a lot to me :)

cresshead: Dude!!! you're totally tempting me to model the original casio keyboard now! shame on you tempress hehe. I used to have one of those when I was a kid. Do a google imagesearch on this guy... I did and I saw a lot of "pimped up" versions of it. This one is my fav :beerchug:

cresshead
04-15-2007, 06:35 PM
LOL!
also the casiofz-1 was THE heaviest synth/sampler keyboard i ever came across!....must have been lead lined!

I look forward to any new models you make!