PDA

View Full Version : selection tracking in the graph editor... is it broken?

eblu
03-29-2007, 01:55 PM
hi all.
has anybody else noticed that the graph editor doesn't track the currently selected object?
I've checked quite a few times, and although the wording is a little awkward the setting in the options panel appears to be set correctly. its a check box that says something like: track current layout selections. its checked... but for well over a year I've been unable to convince the graph editor to keep up with the objects I have selected in layout...

anybody else? or is this some sort of operator error, or a pref corruption, or some combination of the 2?

toby
03-31-2007, 04:52 PM
uhhh... works for me
are you sure you have 'track item selections' and not 'track layout time'?

eblu
04-02-2007, 07:05 AM
yes. i'm certain.
any idea what "lazy layout update" is supposed to do?
because, in my frustration I checked that as well, and now it works as advertised.

___mats___
04-02-2007, 11:03 AM
eblu, I can confirm it does not work as it is intended, at least for me.

if I select objects on the layout, by clicking on them directly, it works, if go to the scene editor and select the objects there, it does not work.

I think the fact that the new scene editor is a master plugin might be the cause, thera many little inconsistencies like that all over the program :(

Matt -

toby
04-02-2007, 09:02 PM
any idea what "lazy layout update" is supposed to do?

I've always wondered, but not enough to try it I guess -

I think the fact that the new scene editor is a master plugin might be the cause,
Which is what keeps me from learning or using it...

They need to make some uber-scene editor, we have 4 of the damn things now, each with their own limitations and problems.

Stooch
04-03-2007, 12:57 AM
go into options. enable track layout selection. (in the graph editor) works fine for me.

oh wait. you probably have a mac...

buy a pc.

toby
04-03-2007, 01:05 AM
uhhh... works for me

now it works as advertised.
f#ck pc's.

eblu
04-03-2007, 11:45 AM
f#ck pc's.
seconded.

stooch,
i use a mac. I've built up my toolset my experience and my expectations on the mac platform. I am very good at getting things done on a mac. if you are suggesting that a cross-platform product is inferior on a mac than it is on a pc, my response is that it was not adequately cross platform in the first place, and I start looking elsewhere. If Newtek only wants to sell PC versions of lightwave, then they should start suggesting to their mac users that they get pcs, to work around the numerous glitches and gotchas on the mac version of Lightwave. I do not believe they want that. I suspect that they want to fix the glitches and gotchas, and have platform parity, which is why I'm here discussing one of the glitches I've found. I'm hoping to identify it so that when I report it to the dev team I can easily describe the steps necessary to duplicate it, so they can isolate and fix it. I know that the mac L'Wavers may seem at times to be the squeaky wheel in the LW community, but we are actively engaged and personally invested in the future of Lightwave... we're trying to make it better (for the most part ;) ).
So while your opinion is valid as far as you are concerned, the mac L'wavers probably don't appreciate the sentiment. I know I don't.

___mats___
04-03-2007, 10:20 PM
eblu,

Stooch's comment did not deserve such a good and long explanation, he also trolls the Luxology forums, forum wars get old.

by the way, I have the same inconsistency on the PC when using the graph editor, I use both PC and Macs.

Matt -

Stooch
04-04-2007, 10:22 PM
hahah i just love messing with mac users. ;)

toby
04-04-2007, 10:57 PM
(http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/warriorshtm/evilclown.htm)

Stooch
04-05-2007, 12:10 AM
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/lonelyguy.htm

toby
04-05-2007, 02:21 AM
You prefer that one?

Stooch
04-05-2007, 02:23 AM
hah, it fits you perfectly. even the pic ;)

btw your iraq page doesnt seem to be working... is it hosted on a mac by any chance lol.

toby
04-05-2007, 02:28 AM
"can drive him to do battle just for the human contact. "
You're right, that does fit a PC-using Mac-hater that comes to a Mac forum.

Stooch
04-05-2007, 05:31 PM
you are the one battling... did you pose for that pic btw? its uncanny...:thumbsup:

speaking of mac haters. guess where i was this weekend?
www.roger.tv

working on another quick little project. on a mac...

eblu
04-06-2007, 07:33 AM
toby,
let it go man. you're only feeding it.

Stooch
04-06-2007, 04:38 PM
yep "IT" feeds on the tears of butt-hurt mac users who take their choice of computers entirely too seriously. The trick is to just relax a bit and laugh instead of crying. FYI no one on these forums is on a mission to hurt anyones feelings - your computer is just a tool. so dont be one yourself :)

MODERATOR NOTE:
It is personal attacks like this that get your privilege of playing with the other boys and girls curtailed.

In this instance, a one-week time-out in the corner.
Beginning......NOW.

toby
04-07-2007, 03:23 AM
toby,
let it go man. you're only feeding it.
That WAS my last post. You just gave him another chance to sling more petty insults, by doing as little as batting an eyelid, granted. I appreciate the effort but please let me handle this conversation. If you don't want to hear anymore, go ahead and use the unsubscribe tool.

FYI no one on these forums is on a mission to hurt anyones feelings
That's such an obvious lie it's not even funny. This is exactly what you come here for.

"butt-hurt mac users"
"your computer is just a tool. so dont be one yourself"
"hahah i just love messing with mac users."