PDA

View Full Version : Animation render time dialog screen

F1Racer
03-29-2007, 12:15 PM
I'm doing a project for a client which entails some long rendering sequences (10-12hrs each sequence).
So what Ive been doing is setting them up and starting them going in the early evening. The idea is that they will be ready for when I get up in the morning.

Thing is what I don't know, and would like to, is how long the animation took.
Sometimes I need to know for my own purposes and other times so I can inform the client. But when Lightwave finishes an animation render, the dialog disappears off the screen (unlike an F9 render where it stays).

Is there a say around this or maybe something that could be implemented so that the render dialog stays at the end ? Or is there a specific reason why it should disappear ?

StereoMike
03-29-2007, 12:28 PM
Simply look for the file details. Sort by date and compare the first file with the last and you're done.

mike

Surrealist.
03-29-2007, 12:33 PM
I don't know a direct answer to your question but if you are rendering in frames you could open up the last frame file and look at the properties for "Created" and it will give the time and date it was saved. Do this for the first and last frames.

For an animation do the same thing only use Created for the first frame and Modified for the last. This will give you the length of the render.

EDIT: Well we posted at the same time but moth methods will work.

F1Racer
03-29-2007, 12:41 PM
For an animation do the same thing only use Created for the first frame and Modified for the last. This will give you the length of the render.

I am actually rendering to uncompressed avi so maybe this workaround option will still work.
Still, a shame that the render dialog doesn't stay on-screen.

Thanks guys

StereoMike
03-29-2007, 01:04 PM
You shouldn't never ever render important and time consuming jobs into an animation file.

What if you get a power outage after rendering the final pass on the last day for 20 hours? Deadline missed.
You should save image sequences (tga or png) and use something like virtualdub to create an avi (or put the image sequence in the BG in lightwave and render that into a final avi).
You can simply continue the rendering at the last image in case of a power outage or other catastrophes.

mike

F1Racer
03-29-2007, 01:58 PM
You shouldn't never ever render important and time consuming jobs into an animation file.

What if you get a power outage after rendering the final pass on the last day for 20 hours? Deadline missed.
You should save image sequences (tga or png) and use something like virtualdub to create an avi (or put the image sequence in the BG in lightwave and render that into a final avi).
You can simply continue the rendering at the last image in case of a power outage or other catastrophes.

mike

Well the avi file gets re-saved after every frame, so if theres a power cut, I can still load the avi file up to the last save, see how many frames there are and continue from there.
The anim is split into numerous sequences which I will put together into a final anim using Premiere.

Or I might have a UPS (I dont, but I might have had) :)

But point taken.