PDA

View Full Version : whisky scene

Iain
03-29-2007, 03:16 AM
Like I don't have enough on the go at the moment and don't neglect my family enough, I accepted a challenge yesterday to recreate a photograph a friend and I both liked. Cue a totally unnecessary late night.

Table texture needs work and the DOF is a bit off but overall I was quite happy with it.

C&c welcome.

katsh
03-29-2007, 05:33 AM
cool scene.
the water in the water bottle is something strange.
i bet u didnt have the time :D

Iain
03-29-2007, 05:43 AM
Actually, I'm happy with the water. In the reference photo you could just tell that there was water in the jug.
It's the etched crystal that could do with a little more effort I think.

colkai
03-29-2007, 06:02 AM
Dat is luverrly!
Both in the execution and subject matter :)

Iain
03-29-2007, 08:12 AM
Thanks. The subject matter is quite close to my heart-I even had some real world reference on hand for colour checking.

colkai
03-29-2007, 08:35 AM
I would expect no less! ;)

Jure
03-29-2007, 01:09 PM
Hey that whiskey has a funny name! ;)

Iain
03-30-2007, 04:01 AM
Jura single malt takes its name from a beautiful island off the west coast of Scotland.

Here's a small update, more dof and a few tweaks:

eliassilveira
03-30-2007, 12:41 PM
Very Very fantastic

iggy21
03-30-2007, 01:51 PM
overall, it is a very fascinating scene.

RudySchneider
03-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Jura single malt takes its name from a beautiful island off the west coast of Scotland.

Tallisker is nice, too, but I prefer LaPhroaig.

Very nicely done model, by the way. I visited Scotland for Hogmanay the last two years, and it brings back memories...

Iain
04-03-2007, 04:41 AM
Thanks. Rudy, where do you go at Hogmanay?

RudySchneider
04-03-2007, 11:44 AM
This last trip, we flew in to Glasgow, spent two nights at a lighthouse near Stranraer, two nights in Edinburgh (at Channings, nice), three nights at Culloden House, outside Inverness, for Hogmanay, then overnight ferry to Shetland Islands. Shoulda waited 'til Spring for that. Shortened our planned four days in Shetlands to two, drove back down to Stranraer, where we grabbed a ferry over to Ireland. Stayed two nights at Bushmill's Inn. Long answer, but a fun trip.

One thing that blew us away on this trip was that, despite all of the preparation and fanfare, the fireworks and fire-related festivities in Edinburgh had to be canceled due to weather. A real shame for a whole lot of folks!

creativecontrol
04-03-2007, 11:47 AM
How did you get a picture of my desk? The whisky bottle is not so full today. :D

ghostlight
04-05-2007, 01:07 AM
It looks amazing. You'll go crazy for some of the new materials in 9.2....

Iain
04-05-2007, 02:12 AM
One thing that blew us away on this trip was that, despite all of the preparation and fanfare, the fireworks and fire-related festivities in Edinburgh had to be canceled due to weather. A real shame for a whole lot of folks!

That was a shame but we were pretty sure it would happen. The weather was wild.

ghostlight, I tried this scene using dielectrics in 9.2 to try and get a nice caustic effect. The glass was easy to get right but the caustics were totally inappropriate for the light levels. Even with the lights turned way down it was like there was a flame thrower burning the desk.

Looked great but totally wrong. I can experiment more easily now that I have Fprime 3.0 though. mwua ha ha.....a ha ha