PDA

View Full Version : F-22 Animation

DonS
03-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Trying to expand my abilities somewhat and have a go at animation in LightWave. Hardly a compelling shot, but it's one of the first I've done in LW. Tweaking the OGO Taiki clouds took the longest; first render of the shot took about 55 hours...thought I was gonna need to throw my computer in the garbage can. Instead, goofed around with the Taiki settings somewhat and got better-looking clouds at one-tenth the render time.

Here's a still from the shot:

And here's a direct link to the animation since I couldn't upload it here. It's a 5.5 megabyte .mov file:

http://www.eclectric-fx.com/raptor-lo.mov

Please notice the pilot's head turning as I'm proud of that. Now that I understand the basics, maybe I can make something worth looking at.

Thanks for looking!

RudySchneider
03-28-2007, 09:38 PM
Nice shot, but why does it seem like the plane is flying backwards? That is, the cloud and terrain movement is reverse from what it should be.

GregMalick
03-28-2007, 11:40 PM
You have modeled my favorite plane.
It all looks great except the cockpit glass.
I think you were a bit to intent on showing the pilot.
I'm not seeing any reflections or anything.
Focus on that and it will Kick~~~

Nice work. :thumbsup:

DonS
03-29-2007, 04:43 AM
Flying backwards? Wish I could say it was "super-maneuverability"...but I goofed.

And I can raise the reflectivity on the canopy when I re-render! Woo hoo!

Nicolas Jordan
03-29-2007, 12:40 PM
I think that the camera may be moving towards the F-22, that is why it seems like it is moving backwards even though it might not be. If the clouds are moving towards the camera it would also enhance this illusion of backwards motion. Looks like a pretty good otherwise. I really like the clouds as well.

DonS
03-29-2007, 04:27 PM
(Sigh) wish I could say that were so and I initially thought that's what might be happening...but in fact, the plane itself was moving backwards. :cursin:

'Twas an easy fix so I re-rendered. Actually, it's a different (and slighty more interesting) shot now.

xfulcrumx
04-01-2007, 07:26 PM
didnt look like it was moving backwards to me, looks great . Also the tint of the glass is fine also , Looks like the F-16 glass tint . I say keep it like it is.

xfulcrumx
04-01-2007, 07:34 PM
Wow , I just went to your website and im impressed with the plane models.
they all look spot on . I used 1 of the f-16's as wallpaper , hope you dont mind . I build replica RC planes and the f-16 you have reminds me of the one I built and crashed :) . keep up the good work .

DonS
04-02-2007, 06:12 AM
Thanks! And how could I complain about one of my renders being used as a wall paper? :)

Actually, you're seeing a different version of the animation than the one originally posted; the new version is fixed.

DonS
04-02-2007, 07:53 AM
Guess I should've put this in the WIP thread rather than finished....

Another longer version of the animation is poted, same link as before:

http://www.eclectric-fx.com/raptor-lo.mov

If you see the old file, it's from your cache.

Extent
04-02-2007, 06:11 PM
Cool, the model looks great. I do have a list of crits though.

Lighting:
With how bright the clouds are I would expect more fill light from the sky. The shadows on the plane look overly dark to me so it doesn't seem perfectly integrated into the scene.

Clouds:
They look good in the distance but the layer of clouds right underneath the camera gives away the illusion because they're obviously all on a flat plane.

Camera:
The camera work also gives it away because it is so smooth and perfect. It also looks like it's following an odd path. Remember the camera is an actor too, not just a weightless spec. If you add just the slightest amount of human element to it, like a bit of shake or leading the target a little too fast for example, it can go a long way to selling the shot. You could also try animating two planes in formation, then parent the camera to one of them and hide it. Now shoot your scene from that location.

Acting:
When the Raptor comes near to the camera it banks very aggressively to the left but then barely pulls away at all. I'd make that move one of the two, either turn it into a high g turn, or an easy course correction.

DonS
04-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the comments! I'm watching some video of the real plane so I can put aside some of the stylized notions of what I want to see and, instead, maybe focus on more accurate motions.

Extent
04-03-2007, 04:26 PM
I have a short list of Google videos that I've collected in the past if you'ld like them. Nothing of the F22 but lots of general flying shots.

ghostlight
04-05-2007, 01:05 AM
Looking good. You may also pay attention to your Axis. It looks like it's rolling around its belly when it should be centered at the wings. I think studying video will help you find the right motion. Keep it up.

xfulcrumx
04-05-2007, 02:39 AM
Ok I watched the vid many many times and everything is fine. the light isnt overhead so you would expect shadows! . pause the movie every click of the mouse and you will see what im talking about . Light comes through the cocpit Realistically...The light comes form the northeast, first pause , tail rudder shadows - good and so on. dont see anything wrong with it.

Looks great to me.. if you want expert opions on realism , go to RCforums and ask the guys there.. Plus if you want to make some money off it , the guys there will prob buy a copy of your model. Or atleast they would want a copy of your pics from your website.

DonS
04-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Thanks, mate! I'm trying a bit of a different approach now anyway...rendering should be done in a few hours so I'll see then.

RCforums, eh? I'll go have a look around...

DonS
04-08-2007, 08:53 AM
Tried a slightly different approach, toning down the motions somewhat. I like the first and third shots...not sure about the middle one:

http://www.eclectric-fx.com/raptor-test.mov

Extent
04-08-2007, 06:22 PM
Actually I think that's a lot better. The second shot isn't that bad, I think it's mainly an issue of continuity. It just looks weird because it's just starting to turn in in the first clip then it's flying level in the second.

DonS
04-16-2007, 07:17 AM
I think this'll be the last version of this animation so I can move on to something else.

I added a missile shot, played around with particle FX and Hypervoxels.

and here's the animation:

http://www.eclectric-fx.com/raptor-missile.mov

Vladiz
04-16-2007, 08:40 AM
very nice animation, i extremely love it :)

DonS
04-16-2007, 07:47 PM
Thank you!