PDA

View Full Version : Coloring and Texturing

kirkeric
03-28-2007, 02:16 PM
Hello,

I've pretty well figured out how to change colors, such as color a box and that sort of thing and now I'm fiddling around with trying to add texture or skin and could use a couple pointers.

Is there some sort of a "skin" feature or something so if for example I build a spaceship out of a compressed ball shape (so it looks like a disc)? I'm trying to get above having just a colored shape with the lines still showing and not completely smooth.

Along the same lines, if I built a persons arm (which I'd like to find out how to do as well), and then give it some skin tone color, how do I then smooth it out, etc?

Appreciate your help.

Eric

Ztreem
03-28-2007, 04:14 PM
I really don't understand what your trying to do, it could be that english isn't my native language, so if you could clarify or post some screenshots of what you're trying to do, maybe I can help.

MooseDog
03-28-2007, 04:59 PM
i think most people would point you straight to the manual, or any number of on-line tutorials

some good ones:

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/tutorials/

http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

i'm divining from your questions that you want to learn about applying textures to a model, as well as removing the faceting that appears on certain types of models. the above links are great teachers, i know from experience.

kirkeric
03-28-2007, 05:59 PM
I'm sorry. I'll try to clarify. I don't have screenshots because I've not been able to do it yet. :) Basically I am asking, how do you do finishing touches on the surface of an object.

When you first draw the geometric shape, it maintains that grid look and even when you color it, you still have that. So let's just say I wanted to take my spaceship and overlay the "skin" or the outer shell that is smooth.

Does that makes sense?

Thanks,
Eric

I really don't understand what your trying to do, it could be that english isn't my native language, so if you could clarify or post some screenshots of what you're trying to do, maybe I can help.

kirkeric
03-28-2007, 06:00 PM
Thanks.

I've been going thru many tutorials, just havent gotten to that one yet. Appreciate it.

Eric

i think most people would point you straight to the manual, or any number of on-line tutorials

some good ones:

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/tutorials/

http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

i'm divining from your questions that you want to learn about applying textures to a model, as well as removing the faceting that appears on certain types of models. the above links are great teachers, i know from experience.

jat
03-28-2007, 06:02 PM
hit the tab key man........lol that'll turn your polys into subpatches.......is that what you want?

kirkeric
03-28-2007, 06:45 PM
Some of the terms are still unfamiliar still. It might change it a little more smooth. I guess I am trying to figure out just how do people make surfaces of objects look REAL. If you go to this link: http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/videos.php

Notice how some drawings are like perfect skin, smooth, the eyes, etc. A perfect example would be that throwing star on the right side about 3/4 way down the web page. I mean that is incredibly realistic with the wood and everything.

And just a couple above it, I'm sure it must take a lot of experience but just how difficult is it to construct that eyeball?

Thanks,
Eric

pbelchamber
03-28-2007, 07:08 PM
I'm not sure exactly what the problem is, so please excuse me if this seems too basic, but are you hitting F9 to render your object? The fact that you say you can see grid lines makes me think you are not. If this is the case, try following these steps:

1. Build your model in Modeller, then save it.
2. Open Layout, load your object.
3. Hit F5, texture as you wish.
4. Hit 6 on the number pad to get the camera view so you can see what the rendering camera is seeing. If you don't like the angle, move the camera.
5. Hit F9 to render.

Apologies if you know this already

Silkrooster
03-28-2007, 07:35 PM
To smooth an object hit F5 towards the bottom you will find a check box to smooth your object. This checkbox is based on the surface name, therefore you can have some polys smoothed while others are not.
This is also where you apply your colors and textures to your object.
Seeing whats in the window is not a render and can not be saved as an image. F9 is what allows you to see the object with all of it colors, textures and can then be saved as an image.
Silk

Surrealist.
03-28-2007, 09:25 PM
Try this tutorial and see if it helps you.

http://www.3dfightclub.com/tutorials/texture101.html

kirkeric
03-29-2007, 08:02 PM
Hey,

This tutorial worked great! I have 9.0 so a few things were off but I figured it out. I really appreciate the help. Now, my little flying saucer is starting to look pretty cool.

I wonder if you can help me with another item (you or anyone else please). I've gotten the spaceship/disk to rotate 360 and all and I figured out how to make the ship move along a path but I can't figure out how to make it go more than one path.

I have it coming from off in distance from right into the foreground but how do I get it to say stop, make a u turn or something?

Thanks,
Eric

Try this tutorial and see if it helps you.

http://www.3dfightclub.com/tutorials/texture101.html

Silkrooster
03-29-2007, 09:35 PM
Hey,

This tutorial worked great! I have 9.0 so a few things were off but I figured it out. I really appreciate the help. Now, my little flying saucer is starting to look pretty cool.

I wonder if you can help me with another item (you or anyone else please). I've gotten the spaceship/disk to rotate 360 and all and I figured out how to make the ship move along a path but I can't figure out how to make it go more than one path.

I have it coming from off in distance from right into the foreground but how do I get it to say stop, make a u turn or something?

Thanks,
Eric
Its all in the keyframes. Your object will move between two keyframes, therefore your last keyframe is the stop. Add another keyframe after that one for the time you want it to be still, which will be the start of the next part of your animation whether it is rotation or moving it does not matter.
Hope that make sense.
Edit: BTW you can do rotation and moving at the same time. The keyframes will record both.
Silk

Surrealist.
03-30-2007, 01:32 AM
Well I am glad that that tutorial worked out.

Here's another one. I think it has some interesting tricks that are very basic to know about creating motion using nulls and so on.

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/animation/moon-orbit/index.html

kirkeric
03-30-2007, 06:49 AM
Hey thanks. That will come in handy sometime. What I'm really trying to figure out right now is how I get more than one motion at a time. It seems that if I make the object rotate (like my flying saucer example I've been using), I AM able to set one path for it to then fly down but I can't like set one path, then another path, maybe a third, etc.

I figured it would simply let me draw a path, draw a continuing path from the end of first, etc.

Apologies if it doesn't make sense but just imagine a UFO coming from the distance in front of you, it comes straight at you, pauses (while rotating), then quickly shoots left or right out of scene.

Eric

Well I am glad that that tutorial worked out.

Here's another one. I think it has some interesting tricks that are very basic to know about creating motion using nulls and so on.

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/animation/moon-orbit/index.html

lots
03-30-2007, 07:44 AM
In layout, you'll see at the bottom of the screen a slider that lets you advance your animation forward or back by dragging it around. If you want to create an animation of your object approaching the camera, pausing, then going back into the background you can do the following.

1) place your object in the background some distance from the camera.
2) slide the bar on the bottom of the view port to about frame 20 (they are marked)
2 alternate) If you want the object to spin the whole time, move the slider to the last frame (frame 60), rotate your object however you want (keyboard shortcut y), then move the slider to frame 20.
3) bring the object up to the camera with the move tool (keyboard shortcut t)
4) drag the slider to frame 30
5) Press enter, then press ok on the box that appears (this creates a key frame, the time from frame 20 to 30 will keep the object in roughly the same place)
6) drag the slider to frame 60 (the last frame)
7) move the object away form the camera

Read the manual, its got a bunch of stuff that can help you understand all this :)

kirkeric
03-30-2007, 10:44 AM
Well, this is very helpful as well. I noticed you said "roughly" the same place. Is there reason it wont actually remain still at the point from 20 to 30? I notice it does like a small loop there.

Thanks!

Eric

In layout, you'll see at the bottom of the screen a slider that lets you advance your animation forward or back by dragging it around. If you want to create an animation of your object approaching the camera, pausing, then going back into the background you can do the following.

1) place your object in the background some distance from the camera.
2) slide the bar on the bottom of the view port to about frame 20 (they are marked)
2 alternate) If you want the object to spin the whole time, move the slider to the last frame (frame 60), rotate your object however you want (keyboard shortcut y), then move the slider to frame 20.
3) bring the object up to the camera with the move tool (keyboard shortcut t)
4) drag the slider to frame 30
5) Press enter, then press ok on the box that appears (this creates a key frame, the time from frame 20 to 30 will keep the object in roughly the same place)
6) drag the slider to frame 60 (the last frame)
7) move the object away form the camera

Read the manual, its got a bunch of stuff that can help you understand all this :)

Ztreem
03-30-2007, 11:45 AM
The reason it won't be still is that the path between keyframes is made with TBC Splines, so to make it stay you just go in to the graph editor and choose keyframe 30 and set it to linear instead, now it will stay in place. (you should have your spaceship object selected before you go into the graph editor.)

titane357
03-31-2007, 08:44 AM
If I was the man in NT who writes LW manuals, I shoot myself.... :bangwall:
It seems not to interrest many people.

Personnaly I read it several times when I bought LW, and if I read it one time more I'm sure that I can learn more...

Ztreem
03-31-2007, 08:52 AM
I've never read the manual, I'm more of a trial n error kind of guy.