PDA

View Full Version : Export

Shane
06-21-2003, 02:52 PM
I have a quick question. We have Lightwave 7 at my school but nobody really seems to know much about it. Therefore, I have been teaching myself the program with the manual for the last week. I am using Lightwave to create an animated 3D logo. I want to put the logo on a website but I cant figure out how to export it so I can. I created the logo and applied the animation but now what do I do? Is there an easy way to export this so it can be used as a "splash" page for the site.

Thanks for your help!

Elmar Moelzer
06-21-2003, 03:55 PM
Hello Shane!
Well this depends on what you wnat to use for the webpage:
You cold use shockwave3d, which can be output by LW quite well. Please note that you will need Macromedia Directopr to make any use of it. The there would be VRML (well not really great quality, but works right out of LW). For getting out flash, you should consider checking flay.com for flash- exporters. AFAIK all that are currently available are commercial though.
CU
Elmar

Shane
06-21-2003, 05:28 PM
I am using Dreamweaver to create the webpage. I have never used Macromedia Director, however, I do have access to it here at school. So would I be able to export shockwave3d into director and then import from there into my Dreamweaver template? Seeing how I dont know Director is this a difficult task?

Thanks,
Shane

jman66
06-21-2003, 07:38 PM
I would recommend a program such as swift3D http://www.swift3d.com/ - see the examples on the site. This allows you to export your animation to flash (I'm Assuming that if you use dreamweaver, and have director that you also have access to flash). The benefits are that you can get a good animation with low filesize, and that almost everyone with the later version browsers have the flash player installed.

Shockwave3D would probably be an ok second choice if there is no other option, altho i would be hesitant to use it. Director is the authoring environment from which you can make shockwave applications. Director is more complex and complicated than flash... perhaps not the best thing for a simple logo animation. Also there may be some compatibility problems as not everyone has the shockwave plugin.

I would highly advise against VRML because of quality issues as mentioned earlier, and mostly because of compatibility... probably the least compatible of your options.

Animated .gif.. If your animation is somewhat simple you may want to render out your frames and compile them with a .gif compiler (there are many free ones out there).. filesize may very well be an issue of the images are large and depending on how many frames you use... good for small logos, not so great for everything else.

All that being said, as someone with web-design experience i would higly recommend that you do NOT use a splash page. These pages really only have a good use when your site is content heavy and you need a way to pre-load all of the content (done with javascript etc.) Otherwise, it just becomes an annoyance to first time and repeat visitors. The site should be interesting enough that it can stand by itself without the splash page. If you want repeat visitors (and that is generally the goal of any website) then you should realize that people do not want to have to click through your splash screen all of the time just to get to the content which is what they are after in the first place.

My best advice would be to either use the swift3D/flash or animated gif methods to put a smaller animated logo on your main page.

korn_kid
06-27-2003, 05:49 PM
U can also use an app like Cam Studio (http://www.rendersoftware.com/products/camstudio/camstudio.htm) (freeware) which is screen a recorder but it comes with another app that lets u convert AVI's to SWF's files(flash).

riki
06-27-2003, 07:46 PM
You could try cel shading the logo, then export as a series of 32 bit png files and import that series into flash and use trace bitmap to convert it to vectors.