PDA

View Full Version : older equipment for render nodes? LW and Vue

inquisitive
03-27-2007, 02:50 AM
Hi,

I got my main dual 2.6Ghz Xeon and my older dual 2.0Ghz, in addition to that i have three older computers. two dual 600mhz and one dual 1Ghz.

Will the three older computers make a difference in terms of rendering time even thought they are a little outdated? is it worth the trouble to set them up?

Thanks.

vteditor
03-27-2007, 08:06 AM
I've used four older machines that I have sitting around, it does make a difference on animations, the only thing I'm mean to change is which machine is the main control node. as at the moment I use my main machine Dual dual core, to control and render.

Do you use screamernet on your main dual core machine to render or do you just render from within LW as this will amke an immeadiate difference, basically you get each proc rendering it's own frame so it is quicker than rendering from LW and fairly easy to set up.

I have just added a NAS box to my network so intend to use an old machine as the control node and render output goes to the NAS box so this in theory will give me a bit more speed as I think I was loosing out using my main machine to render and control the jobs and save the files. this also means I can back ground render and still work on my main machine if I need to