PDA

View Full Version : Power Outages - How the heck can I finish this animation?

narcisis
06-21-2003, 12:11 PM
Hey fellas :)

Here's the problem.. I have a 1400 frame animation rendering at about 5 min per frame, and 30-45min per frame when it gets to the volumetric lighting and such. But I also live in a crap neighborhood and my power goes out at least twice a week, (three times in the last two days).

Is there anyway to save portions of the animation as it finishes and then continue later? It's getting incredibly frustrating to have to restart the whole thing (3rd time).

Any ideas gentlemen?

Elmar Moelzer
06-21-2003, 12:47 PM
Hey
This is one reason why professional studios usually render to imagesequences. If the rendering is for some reason stoped, you can just continue from the last rendered frame. The you can make an AVI from this with some editing/post- app like premiere, vieotoaster, etc. You can even do this in LW by loading the imagesequence as a backdrop- sequence into a clean scene and rendering an AVI from there, which will go fast enough to make sure you will most likely not suffer from any problems like these.
CU
Elmar

narcisis
06-21-2003, 12:51 PM
I thought about doing this, but then I figured each frame.. as bmp.. at least 600-800k. Multiplied by 1400 means I dont have enough space :)

Do you think if I make it render as jpg it'll lose alot of its clarity?

liquidpope
06-21-2003, 01:33 PM
Howdy...

I just finished a 3600 frame animation at work, and I rendered a sequence out to jpg.s. The quality is pretty good. (I'll be posting some in "Finished" later today.)
It just depends on what you plan to do with the final product. If it's going on the web, you'll have to compress the heck out of it, losing quality anyway, so why not use jpg? Each from is 100k, roughly, so that's a big space saver.

Good luck!

Elmar Moelzer
06-21-2003, 01:33 PM
Render to TGAs.
LW natively compresses them using lossless LZW- compression, which will often result in much smaller images than BMPs.
Lossless means no loss in quality.
CU
Elmar

narcisis
06-21-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by liquidpope
Howdy...

I just finished a 3600 frame animation at work, and I rendered a sequence out to jpg.s. The quality is pretty good. (I'll be posting some in "Finished" later today.)
It just depends on what you plan to do with the final product. If it's going on the web, you'll have to compress the heck out of it, losing quality anyway, so why not use jpg? Each from is 100k, roughly, so that's a big space saver.

Good luck!

It's going to svcd's, so it'll only be seen on tv's.

Think jpg is still a good option?

narcisis
06-21-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Elmar Moelzer
render to TGAs LW natively compresses them using lossless LZW- compression, which will often result in much smaller images than TGAs.
CU
Elmar

But at what quality cost?

toby
06-21-2003, 02:20 PM
"lossless" compression means no loss in quality no matter how many times you re-compress with it.

Try PNG, almost as small as jpg but noticeably better quality. If you're positive that you won't need alpha, use 24 bit instead of 32 to save more space

narcisis
06-21-2003, 02:48 PM
Thanks for all your input fellas, I'll use PNG32.

Jokerd007
06-22-2003, 09:31 PM
hmmmmm, why not just save yourself the hassle and buy a UPS