PDA

View Full Version : Art test for game company

Rich
03-25-2007, 11:09 PM
Hey LWvers!

I just completed an art test for a game company in my area. The project was to create my interpretation of the next gen military humvee but not make it too futuristic plus it had to be under 4k polys. I first went out to some bookstores to gather source material. I found books that had lots of pictures of the HMMWV (Military's name for the hummer) I used the info in the books to give me an idea of what things I would change. The original Hummer began service in the military back in 1985 so itís very boxy. I gave mine a more rounded grill like the H2. I added an extra axle for the back tires plus added dualies so the body could handle need for extra armor plating. The Snorkel on the front grill is more curved so it does not impede the vision of the passenger. Also the back end has an added vent because of the need to have a more robust air-conditioning unit because of the hot desert heat in the mid east. Anyway enough with the long description so here is my finished piece.

Rich
03-25-2007, 11:11 PM
Here is a couple renders of the wires. The whole thing came in at 3670 polys tripled 1987 polys before tripling.

Rich
03-25-2007, 11:21 PM
One more thing is this was all done in Lightwave but the final project had to be exported and saved into 3d Studio Max. Unfortunately I will have to use Max when I start working. I will see what I can do once I've been there for a bit about at least getting one license. I had a small problem getting my uvs into max. I tried just using the 3ds export and I'm sure if I had more time I would have figured it out but I had run out of time and needed a quick fix to the problem so I downloaded the free trial of Deep Exploration and it did the job just fine.

Tzan
03-26-2007, 07:53 AM
Several years ago, using LW6.5 there was a VRML exporter. I saved out VRML then loaded that into Max. Merged points, setup smoothing groups.

Easy compared to having to learn modeling in a different program.

Oh... and it looks good !

Rich
04-03-2007, 09:30 AM
Thanks Tzan!

Well I only have 6 more days till I call the game company back and find out if they are ready to hire me :D

Oh and if anyone wants to check out the other object I created for the art test it's now up on my website (shameless plug) www.3rd-Axis.com The other thing is the run down apartment. The rest of the stuff on my stuff is models I have been creating since March of last up till February of '07.

sammael
04-03-2007, 10:52 AM
Nice model, I realy like the stone arch wip on your site, love to know some details about that one. Good luck with the job, sounds exciting but stressful at the same time. Max aint too bad once you get use to it, its actually got some great tools, pity about the workflow though.

Rich
04-03-2007, 09:27 PM
Thanks for checking out my site Sammael!

Well the Stone Arch is pretty much me learning Zbrush. It was first modeled in LW then brought into Zbrush. After paiting in details I created normal and displacement maps and brought them both back in LW. I setup the nodes and applied them. That project is on hold while I spend my freetime learning 3dsmax. I eventually plan on modeling some gargoyles and other gothic type elements to decorate around it.

Lamont
04-05-2007, 12:23 AM
Nice go on the model. The overall shape is decent.

But I have a few crits:

No normal maps. And since the lighting is in the texture and wheels, it won't look right (It's a mobile objects).
A vehicle of that poly-count probably is a main one, so you can get away with a spec map and some alpha's on the glass, then go on with the interior.
For a vehicle of it's type, it's too clean.

Rich
04-05-2007, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the Crits Lamont!

I wanted to do all those extra maps but ran out of time. I had to get that done plus model an apartment in less than 2 weeks along with working a full-time job so my time was very limited. They of course said 2 weeks but also said the sooner the better so I was under a lot of pressure to get stuff done really fast.