PDA

View Full Version : iMac 24"

newtekker04
03-25-2007, 10:18 PM
Hey everyone,

I plan on getting my iMac and am aware the product line will undergo a refresh real soon. I'm not certain whether I'll buy one from the new line, or just get a marked-down current model. Because I am looking at the 24" one (with a 7600 GT), I am curious to know how the C2D chip and a 7600 handle Lightwave. What I'm mainly looking for is OpenGL and rendering performance (specifically with using the UB).

This will be my first Mac, and as much as I'd love to go full out and get a Pro, I don't have those sorts of funds. I just want to get an idea of how it'll perform. I'm hoping the 24 model will be enough for non-300 calibre work.:D

Thanks

pantone
03-26-2007, 07:02 AM
I can't speak for LW UB's performance on an iMac, but here's a link to some benchmarks I did several months back. It's using Maxon's Cinebench software, which is UB, so as a general benchmark it should be an accurate reflection of the differences in performance. Higher numbers are better on the cinebench stuff.

I can say that my MacBook Pro 2 GHz performs almost as well as my DP G5 1.8GHz machine and sometimes beats it with the UB. So I think an iMac 24" would stack up pretty well.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37091&d=1158862230

avkills
03-26-2007, 09:40 AM
I can't say any specifics, except that the UB LW is beta, so the commercial version is going to run under rosetta and be slower.

Send Chilton a PM and maybe he will answer your question or give you a few easily understood pointers. ;)

-mark

cresshead
03-26-2007, 10:19 AM
when i tried a imac20" [2ghz] a few months back with the 128mb card it perfromed 3x as fast as my amd turion64 ml30 [1.6ghz] when rendering a set of 3dmax scenes i took there including some actual projects i was making for a client at the time [blackberry] which were 750,000 poly interior scenes..the open gl was much much better than my ati700 128mb pci express card on my acer laptop too...obvoiusly the imac24" will render at a similar speed but the nvidia video card for opengl will be better still...like you i'm waiting for apple's next move re imac's specifically for running bootcamp and 3dsmax 9.0 plus lightwave 9.2

newtekker04
03-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Good idea - I sent Chilton a PM and I'll see what he says.

when i tried a imac20" [2ghz] a few months back with the 128mb card it perfromed 3x as fast as my amd turion64 ml30 [1.6ghz] when rendering a set of 3dmax scenes i took there including some actual projects i was making for a client at the time [blackberry] which were 750,000 poly interior scenes..the open gl was much much better than my ati700 128mb pci express card on my acer laptop too...obvoiusly the imac24" will render at a similar speed but the nvidia video card for opengl will be better still...like you i'm waiting for apple's next move re imac's specifically for running bootcamp and 3dsmax 9.0 plus lightwave 9.2

That's encouraging information. I figured the machine would handle fairly well.:)

Just out of curiosity, when an image is rendered, is just the CPU used or is it assisted by the GPU? I was always under the impression the GPU handled the realtime/OpenGL graphics, and the final rendering was strictly CPU. Am I missing anything?

cresshead
03-26-2007, 05:46 PM
just the cpu is involved with rendering with lightwave and max. that's why the imac 20 and imac24 will render at similar sppeds...the imac i tested had 1 gig ram btw and was running windows xphome

newtekker04
03-26-2007, 05:54 PM
just the cpu is involved with rendering with lightwave and max. that's why the imac 20 and imac24 will render at similar sppeds...the imac i tested had 1 gig ram btw and was running windows xphome

That's kinda what I thought, but wanted to be sure.

You tested using xp? I wonder how that compares to OS X on a mac? Apparently, the UB version is suppose to run a little quicker in the OpenGL view - that's sweet.

cresshead
03-26-2007, 06:05 PM
my test at the apple shop was to see if windows xp was a viable option for my next windows pc running workstaion class apps like my 3dsmax and lightwave, have to say it passed with flying colours and some of my ex students now have mac mini's running xp and another student has a macpro running windos xp just fine n dandy!

now just waiting for apples next move in their pc lineup...also hoping they release the next osx with them as bootcamp will be out of beta by then too.

kopperdrake
03-26-2007, 07:30 PM
You and me both Cress - good to hear your tests went well at the Apple shop. I'm off to a mate's tomorrow to install Lightwave on his dual 2.66 Mac Pro, just to get a flavour of what it's like - I hear it's April 18th at DAB that Apple are likely to annouce the new line up.

cresshead
03-26-2007, 07:34 PM
err..NAB!

should see the new finalcut pro at least