PDA

View Full Version : Import from Sketchup

lesford
03-25-2007, 03:46 PM
Does anyone have any tips for importing models generated in SketchUp besides building the whole thing again in Lightwave.

SketchUps .obj exporter turns the models into a collosal hash of geometry; meaningless triangulation, flipped faces, etc.

SketchUp itself handles geometry so poorly that it starts to choke at 20000 polys, but exporting to obj sends the poly counts through the ceiling and adds all of these errors.

Les Ford

Bog
03-25-2007, 03:50 PM
Paging Regularfry, Regularfry to Flight Ops.... ;)

lesford
03-25-2007, 04:17 PM
Sorry,

I'm missing your meaning here.

Les

Bog
03-25-2007, 04:19 PM
Sorry Les - Regularfry's the guy who wrote the converter in my signature, and we've been kinda sorta looking sideways at Sketchup for a while now - if there's an actual demand for an LW-Sketchup converter, then we're going to look at it straight instead o'sideways.

Bit of an in-joke, really, makes me feel for posting how I did. But what I mean is "Hey, if there isn't an existing, bulletproof converter from LW to Sketchup, then that really needs to be looked at!"

radams
03-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Hi Bog,

We are looking at sketchup to Lightwave...and Sketchup to Solidworks & AutoCad...

As well as by directional LW to those others as well...

This is for manufacturing uses and product design and marketing/sales...rather than video or film production.

If you got some ideas...I would like to hear and see them.

Cheers,

lesford
03-25-2007, 05:43 PM
I work in television as a playback animator and I'm finding that many art departments are using SketchUp. I'm starting to have to deal with these things, and the only solution I have found so far is to completely rebuild the models from scratch.

I have seen, on the SketchUp boards, Sketchup models that have been rendered in Lightwave, but my attempts have been hopeless, as the models are such a hash.

My sense is that this application could become the default 3D app in art departments for film and TV, because I am seeing it being used to design sets by people who can't draw a happy face or a box.

Les

Bog
03-25-2007, 06:00 PM
Okay, we'll see what we can do. Rapido like.

regularfry
03-28-2007, 07:51 AM
Right. Sorry it wasn't sooner, but here (http://shaxam.com/files/lwo_export.zip)'s an LWO exporter for SketchUp.

Note that it is, as the README.txt says, VERY, VERY ALPHA software. You have been warned.

Right now it only does geometry, surfaces will be along shortly.

All feedback welcome...

LightWuv
03-28-2007, 12:48 PM
Uh,

Just impressed, is all.

If this is regularfry I can't imagine specialfry... 8~

Wuv

Bog
03-28-2007, 01:13 PM
He's a bit clever, he is.

lesford
03-28-2007, 07:48 PM
Thanks for this, but as a Macintosh user in Sketchup world I'm guessing I'm out of luck.

Les

Bog
03-29-2007, 01:30 AM
How so?

noiseboy
03-29-2007, 02:31 AM
Thanks for this, but as a Macintosh user in Sketchup world I'm guessing I'm out of luck.

Les

The plugin is a ruby script..just drop the unzipped folder "lwo_export" into the Google SU plugins folder in application support and activate it in SU prefs and you are good to go. You may have to restart SU to see the plugin under tools menu. Exporting is fine, however LW9 hangs when you try to open the generated object...but strangely Modo imports the geometry OK albeit with poly normals reversed.

you could always use the fbx plugin to import into Layout and then save the LWO from there, can't you?

That been said top marks for the plugin, I look forward to its development as I'm sure many in the SU community will. If you need Mac testing I'd be happy to help.

Colin

regularfry
03-29-2007, 02:59 AM
I'm just looking at the hanging now. It's only exports from the mac version of SketchUp that seem to do that.

I'm guessing that Modo gets the poly normals reversed because it's not respecting the double-sided surface definition. All surfaces in SketchUp are double-sided, so I specifically generate a double-sided default texture.

[Edit] Apparently there are a couple of issues with the Windows version too. I'm looking at them now.

Bog
03-29-2007, 03:09 AM
Can open. Worms everywhere. ;)

regularfry
03-29-2007, 03:15 AM
Ok, I've found what the problem is. It's the surface definitions. I'm exporting them intact at the moment, but not actually tying them up to the polygons, and I think Modeler's b0rking when it can't find a Default surface.

To get the geometry out, you'll need to take all the materials off the model in SketchUp, then Purge Unused from the Window > Model Info > Statistics pane, *then* do your export. Modeler will complain when you load the object, but the geometry loads OK.

I'll get this fixed sharpish.

regularfry
03-29-2007, 07:53 AM
That's a little better: http://shaxam.com/files/lwo_export-0.0.3.zip

Now handles surfaces a little more sanely, and it doesn't make Modeler hang any more.

Point of note: back materials in SketchUp are currently ignored. There's no way to bring them across (easily) without generating more geometry, and I'm not going to do that just yet. You get the surface definitions, they're just not attached to the polygons.

noiseboy
03-29-2007, 09:05 AM
Alex there seems to be a mad scaling issue on the Mac side of things. A 1 metre cube comes in so small it doesn't even register a size ( although the polys,points etc are there.....sorry.

Colin

regularfry
03-29-2007, 09:51 AM
Can you send me the sketchup file, or put it somewhere I can get at it? Ideally, the lwo, too, in case I can't replicate it.

noiseboy
03-29-2007, 10:51 AM
Here you go...archive of 1m cube in both SU6 format and lwo. I'm running on my macbook pro at the moment but will check on a PPC version when I get home.

Colin

noiseboy
03-29-2007, 05:18 PM
Ok this is a can of worms. The good news ( I think) is that the export works fine going from PPC SU to PPC Lightwave. The scaling appears to be an issue from Intel SU to Intel/PPC Lightwave. The two files I generated were generated on an Intel mac. The lwo file loads into Modeller but does not show up ( too small?). Is this one of those big endian little endian things?

Colin

regularfry
03-30-2007, 12:56 AM
Yep, it's endianness. It looks like Intel SU's Ruby is buggy - I'm specifically telling it to output network-byte-order floats. That can happen when Ruby is cross-compiled - it remembers the endianness of the platform it was built on, at least until relatively recently. Workaround coming up...

regularfry
03-30-2007, 01:18 AM
Can you give this a try, please? It's only the export.rb file, and should go in Plugins/lwo_export to overwrite the one that's already there.

noiseboy
03-30-2007, 01:52 AM
Whatever you did that seemed to do it. Just tested on simple cube, but worked OK Intel SU to Intel LW. Now go and get some breakfast.

Colin

regularfry
03-30-2007, 02:41 AM
:-)

For those following along at home, I've posted the fixed release to http://shaxam.com/files/lwo_export-0.0.4.zip.

This should now work on all platforms.

Bog
03-30-2007, 04:35 AM
Tsk. Took ya long enough. ;)

Tzan
03-30-2007, 09:23 AM
I just tried it on version 5.0.305 and it works fine, it was still a 10 foot box at the origin.

The box had double sided polys, and when you click that off it removes the face you want, but its easy enough to flip them.

Nice work!

lesford
03-30-2007, 12:46 PM
Thanks for this Alex.

The export eliminates all of the flipped faces in the model. I've used it now up to half a million polys.

Unfortunately it doesn't do much for the the pointless density of the mesh and the arbitrary triangulation of the mesh wherever two objects touch each other. This seems to be just the way sketchup likes to do things. I've been going through and reducing polys after the fact, and for the most part it comes up pretty clean.

Thanks again for this helpful tool.

Les

regularfry
04-04-2007, 03:50 AM
I just tried it on version 5.0.305 and it works fine, it was still a 10 foot box at the origin.
That's good to know. Thanks for that.

The box had double sided polys, and when you click that off it removes the face you want, but its easy enough to flip them.
Yes - that's because all geometry is double-sided in SketchUp. It's a little annoying, because it's going to complicate back material support, but nothing unsurmountable.

Nice work!
Thanks! :)

Bog
04-04-2007, 04:01 AM
Unfortunately it doesn't do much for the the pointless density of the mesh and the arbitrary triangulation of the mesh wherever two objects touch each other. This seems to be just the way sketchup likes to do things. I've been going through and reducing polys after the fact, and for the most part it comes up pretty clean.

Fortunately, Modeler's "Reduce" tab (assuming you're using Production Style Menus) has a suite of fairly competent polygon reduction tools.

But yeah, it is a bit messy. Good thing LW's got a very forgiving renderer.

regularfry
04-04-2007, 04:10 AM
Thanks for this Alex.

The export eliminates all of the flipped faces in the model. I've used it now up to half a million polys.
Anything you can show? And how long did that take?

They seem to have taken the path of hiding really nasty geometry behind a pretty interface. Not much I can do about that :)

Thanks again for this helpful tool.

Les

No worries :)

I've kicked off a thread (http://forum.sketchup.com/showthread.php?p=549040&posted=1#post549040) on the SketchUp forums about this, and they've come up with a few more suggestions. In brief, this is my current todo list:

Images for textures
Ensure that the correct file extension is added to the filename
Add smoothing for curved surfaces
Export group names correctly
Add transparency support

Any more ideas?

Tzan
04-05-2007, 08:38 AM
I just read that thread.

So after spending $500 for the pro version to get the exporters, the exporters suck? Great.

I wonder what Google thinks of you making a better exporter that works with the free version :)

Bog
04-05-2007, 09:00 AM
I wonder what Google thinks of you making a better exporter that works with the free version :)

From the look of it, they think quite highly. Which is nice!

lesford
04-05-2007, 07:18 PM
Sorry it took so long to get back, but I changed ISPs and got screwed up for several days.

Nothing I can post, but I can say that it will be showing in the new season of "Eureka" on Scifi Channel.

The export took no time to speak of. Using reduce polys in Lightwave to get it down to a useable size took a while, as I was doing it in about 30000 poly chunks. I got it down to about 130000.

Right now Sketchup is being used as the main art department 3D tool on most shows I do, so this converter justifies my purchase of Sketchup, which was looking kind of pointless, and saves time while streamlining my interactions with the shows.

Thanks again.

Anything you can show? And how long did that take?

They seem to have taken the path of hiding really nasty geometry behind a pretty interface. Not much I can do about that :)

No worries :)

I've kicked off a thread (http://forum.sketchup.com/showthread.php?p=549040&posted=1#post549040) on the SketchUp forums about this, and they've come up with a few more suggestions. In brief, this is my current todo list:

Images for textures
Ensure that the correct file extension is added to the filename
Add smoothing for curved surfaces
Export group names correctly
Add transparency support

Any more ideas?

Bog
04-06-2007, 03:36 AM
Damn, we should have charged for it! ;)

lesford
04-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Alex,

I'd be happy to contribute to the cause. Give me an address and I'll send you a cheque. Does $100 seem reasonable?

Les

regularfry
04-07-2007, 03:06 AM
Alex,

I'd be happy to contribute to the cause. Give me an address and I'll send you a cheque. Does $100 seem reasonable?

Les

Les, that's extremely generous. I'll PM you to take this further.

regularfry
04-07-2007, 03:07 AM
After a hiatus of a few days, I've added four of the five items above. http://shaxam.com/files/lwo_export-0.0.5.zip has transparency, changed filename handling, group names and UV mapped texture images.

The filename handling isn't perfect - I don't seem to be able to get very much control over the save dialog - but it should be an improvement. Also, the code to support UV mapped textures is a little complex, so may be broken. I've tested it as far as I can with the models I've got, and it works for those, but I'd be grateful of any positive or negative feedback.

Smoothing is going to involve a few more internal changes, and may take a little time to get right.

That's it... have a happy easter :-)

lesford
04-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Alex,

I did the paypal thing over at your site. You should have $100 coming to you.
Thanks for your efforts.

Les Ford

regularfry
04-12-2007, 08:46 AM
Hi all,

I've just pushed version 0.0.6 (http://shaxam.com/files/lwo_export-0.0.6.zip) up to the server. It's almost identical to version 0.0.5, but fixes a bug in the transparency support. If you had a problem with geometry appearing to be missing from the export, it's worth trying again with this release.

The only other change is an update to the saved filename - it has a sensible default now.

As always, all bug reports are good bug reports :)

acocq
06-14-2007, 02:41 PM
Alex,
awesome plugin ! Thanks !

Cheers,
Andreas

Earl
06-14-2007, 08:13 PM
I'm so glad someone dug this thread back up! My co-worker uses SketchUp and I'm in need of getting a model into LightWave that he's worked on. I had pretty much resigned myself at recreating it since the geometry comes in so messy with the OBJ exporter, but now I'm going to give this a try and cross my fingers.

Thanks so much!

acocq
06-15-2007, 12:39 AM
I'm so glad someone dug this thread back up! My co-worker uses SketchUp and I'm in need of getting a model into LightWave that he's worked on. I had pretty much resigned myself at recreating it since the geometry comes in so messy with the OBJ exporter, but now I'm going to give this a try and cross my fingers.

Thanks so much!

Earl,
even with the LWO exporter the geometry is "interesting" ... but with LW's polyreduce (not QEMMLOSS2, the other one) it does quite a good job "fixing" the mesh. However, it seems to mess up the texture assignment (haven't looked at that in detail, but I noticed that the object has a whole bunch of UV maps which don't work right once polyreduction has taken place).

But to be honest, if you have LW and LWCAD, Sketchup doesn't offer a lot of advantages. Yes, manipulating geometry is fast (Push/Pull etc.) - and a lot of fun ;). But the underlying mesh is far from optimized. The texture tools in Sketchup are really cool too ! While I enjoy "playing" with Sketchup, I would always use LWCAD to produce "accurate" models.

LWCAD produces very clean geometry and the snapping and projection tools are incredible. Especially with the upcoming version 2.5, things like roofs, stairs, doors and windows will be easier to handle than ever (oops ... sorry, don't mean to sound like a fanboy ... although I probably am :D ).

Cheers,
Andreas

<HD>
07-13-2007, 03:12 AM
Just found this thread. I'm is desperate need of this plugin but the links are dead. Can anyone send me the plug or post it up. Thanks for any :help:

archijam
07-13-2007, 03:26 AM
Just found this thread. I'm is desperate need of this plugin but the links are dead. Can anyone send me the plug or post it up. Thanks for any :help:

Ditto!

SU US PLEASE!

j.

regularfry
07-13-2007, 06:59 AM
Sorry for the outage, folks - things didn't come back up cleanly after a server reboot. The links should work again now.

robk
07-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Just imported a sketchup model for a current project. Got the model exported from sketchup as a version 12 dxf and then ran it through Accutrans 3d.

Tzan
07-16-2007, 01:58 PM
is this for sketchup pro?

It works with the regular version too.

starbase1
07-17-2007, 06:59 AM
Hmmm... Bit late to tghis thread, but it sure sounds useful.

Are the OBJ exports from sketchup really that bad, or is it just LW's notoriously fragile OBJ import? Has anyone tried itvia a coversion utility?

Nick

Tzan
07-17-2007, 08:36 AM
hmm, it doesn't work for me

I havent tried the latest versions.

SketchUp 5 with plugin version 0.0.4 worked

lesford
07-19-2007, 11:04 AM
Yes,

The Pro version of Sketchup exports a very messy triangulated mesh with multiple flipped polys all over the place. It is really nothing like obj export from a real program like XSI which will at least give you the quads. The problem is definitely in Sketchup rather than Lightwave.

This plugin exports all of the polys facing in the right direction, but you still have to run Reduce Polys to clean up what Sketchup has done.

Les

Hmmm... Bit late to tghis thread, but it sure sounds useful.

Are the OBJ exports from sketchup really that bad, or is it just LW's notoriously fragile OBJ import? Has anyone tried itvia a coversion utility?

Nick

jbr3d
07-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Does the sketchup exporter only work for IntelMac, which I don't have.
I can't seem to add the plugin on my Mac.

noiseboy
07-20-2007, 10:56 AM
Does the sketchup exporter only work for IntelMac, which I don't have.
I can't seem to add the plugin on my Mac.

Shouldn't make difference, its a bunch of clever ruby scripts
so should be platform agnostic. I've got an early version running on an old G4 with SU6. Don't forget to enable the script within the SU prefs.

Colin

jbr3d
07-20-2007, 06:38 PM
Thanks Noiseboy.......got it to work!
It does the job, although there were some polys still flipped the wrong way.
but Its much better than the native obj exporter.
Some one mentioned "reduce polys" tool, is that in Lightwave?

Mr Rid
07-21-2007, 02:04 AM
A friend of mine exported dxf out of Sketchup that I have no problem opening in Modeler.

SketchUps .obj exporter turns the models into a collosal hash of geometry; meaningless triangulation, flipped faces, etc.
Les Ford

starbase1
07-21-2007, 03:39 AM
And the excellent shareware Accutrans 3d is generally a LOT more stable at Lightwave at importing, cleaning, and converting, even with formats LW aledgedly supports like OBJ

donlimpio
08-01-2007, 07:46 AM
I haven't read the whole thread so maybe this has been posted already but I have a very good way of exporting. There is only ONE unfortunate thing, and that is that you need sKetchup version 3. Well, I know v3 works, and v6 doesn't; I don't know how v4 and v5 fare.

There's two big export problems, notably too much triangles (causing a heavy and complicated mesh) and bad orientation of polygons (causing apparent holes, depending on your camera viewpoint).

What's the big diff between v3 and v6? v6 merges all points on 3DS export. Version 3 doesn't. This makes a world of difference. In the v3 file I can select ALL polygons of my mesh, and press shift-Z, which is "merge polygons" in my key layout. This merges all polygons that are connected which results in a very clean mesh (no triangles anymore!). Thankfully the vertices of ONE plane in sketchup are merged on v3 export, while the vertices that connect to another plane aren't (that's why merge polygons works so well).
In v6 ALL vertices are merged on export, so you can't merge polygons or you'll end up with one big thousand-point non planar garble of a polygon. A simple checkbox to use the old merge-export would solve a lot of issues.

Soo, remember: version 3 works like a charm for this.

The polygon orientation problem is also simple to avoid. Construct your whole model in the default material, this is the material that is blue or beige depending on which side of a polygon you see. I guess most people know this, but I'll say it anyhow: brown is the front of a polygon, blue is the back of a polygon, that will be invisible unless your material is double sided (a big nono for radiosity). So, one rule of thumb: if you see blue, you've got work to do. If you see only brown, you've got no reason to frown :). After your model is correctly built, you can apply materials. When in doubt, give your whole model the default material to check.

These two aspects make my exporting effortless. I know it's not much of a solution since you can't get v3 anymore (early adopter here :)) but it works. I'm trying to phrase my words diligently here, but I guess the best idea would be to try to acquire version 3 'somehow', ahem (paid and licensed pro user here, by the way).

On a side note, although we all have version 6 installed, all five employees at our company prefer working in version 3. The only feature really missing is Follow Me. Apart from that the user experience is superior on ALL front in version 3 compared to later, less stable, more cluttered versions.

Voila. There you have it. Straight from the horse's mouth :).

bjornkn
08-01-2007, 08:28 AM
If you export in SU6 in 3ds format you have several choices, one of them is under Materials - Favor. There you should try the "Preserving texture coordinates". Then you will end up with non-merged polys, as well as maintaining the uv-mapping.. The reason why that option was added was that many people were using external renderes that didn't allow mergin of points. And the 3ds format apparently doesn't allow uv mapped faces to share a point..
BTW there are also other ways to detriangulate it - like Reduce Polys. You may end up messing up your uv's though.
Or Merge_TrigonsX or TB_UnTriple.
There is no need to model in default materials either, as you can always view the model witouth the applied materials, or as default materials, which makes it very easy to see what is front and backface.

donlimpio
08-01-2007, 08:58 AM
@ bjornkn:
Thanks for the heads up. Everyday you learn something new :)

Since I prefer the version 3 workspace I hardly use the latest flavor, and I don't really need your approach (somehow we never texture our models in sKetchup), but it's good to know there's a similar way in the latest version.

I'm a bit puzzled though. Why do people need an exporter then?? Just misinformation or does the free version not have the export options?

Tzan
08-01-2007, 02:05 PM
@ bjornkn:
I'm a bit puzzled though. Why do people need an exporter then?? Just misinformation or does the free version not have the export options?

Correct, there is no exporter in the free version.

Chuckpie
09-26-2007, 04:31 PM
Could someone tell me what I am doing wrong using the Sketch Up Plug In.
I am attaching a tree from SU (the one with the leafs) and the one opened in LW9. Not too good. Also I do not seem to get the textures that LW request to builb the object. Any help would be great.

Bog
10-30-2007, 08:11 PM
Looks like your UV data's getting mashed, so the texture and transparency data's not coming across.

Yog
10-31-2007, 05:14 PM
Just popping by to say thanks Regularfly.
I use that other program that begins with an "m" , and the resultant LWO's generated with your plug-in work flawlessly. A real time saver.
Thanks.

LW_Will
11-01-2007, 02:14 PM
you know, 'm' isn't a really good indicator...

maya
max
modo

???

Yog
11-02-2007, 03:47 AM
you know, 'm' isn't a really good indicator...

maya
max
modo

???

Yep, but around here your likely to start WWIII if you mention you use any of them, especially the last one :p

BTW - I've just tried importing a Sketchup LWO into "X", and it also works flawlessly, so double thanks to Regularfly :thumbsup:

archijam
11-02-2007, 03:51 AM
Aw man! :/

I wonder if a converter in between (Accutrans for example) would solve the situation for now with brand 'L' .. Don't have the full version of SketchUp installed here tho, so can't check ..

j.

ethann
11-12-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm running Sketchup 6 on a Mac and following the install directions for the lwo exporter, I don't have the checkbox show up under the extensions pane, anyone have any ideas?

thanks,

m.

martin.s
11-13-2007, 07:17 PM
anyone know how to "hack" the images out of the sketchup file?

lol, right now, LW is looking for files on some remote desktop from the original sketchup user.

bjornkn
11-14-2007, 02:17 AM
If you export as .3ds SU will export your textures in the same folder as your .3ds file.

JamesCurtis
03-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Just checked back on this thread and I am using the free version of Sketchup version 6. How can I get the imagemaps that the converted Sketchup .LWO export file is looking for?

Is or Isn't it possible for the free version?

I Can't afford the paid version, BTW.

Any ideas?

Help please!!

Tzan
03-24-2008, 02:51 PM
So you applied images to the model in SketchUp?

Then those images are in the folder: SketchUp>Materials

You need to copy them to a LW content folder, as I'm sure you know.

bjornkn
03-24-2008, 04:40 PM
They may, or may not be in that Materials Folder. SketchUp stores all textures in the skp file, and then you don't necessarily have those textures in your won Libraries. And there's nothing that prevents you from making your own materials with textures from any folder. You may even delete the texture file afterwards and still have the texture inside the skp file.

In SU's Material Editor you can rclick a material in the "InModel" section and select "Export Texture Image".
I have never used the free version, so this may also be a feature only found in the Pro version though?

JamesCurtis
03-24-2008, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the info and works great!! I wish it was explained easier or someplace easy to find in the Doc's.

Tzan
03-24-2008, 05:58 PM
Ah didnt know that. I've always had my own images and controlled it like LW. I never shared files so that .skp thing never came up.

I was a bit confused why he was asking in the first place :)

JamesCurtis
03-25-2008, 12:00 AM
Obviously, I wanted to have the imagemap textures because I'm using real life building models which are textured with the images. In this case, they need to be correct, or at least as correct as the original modeler was with them while making the model.

colkai
03-29-2008, 07:32 AM
Ok, I have no idea how I missed this thread up until now. :p
Many thanks for the plugin - beats exporting X-Plane models, then using blender to create LWO models... which sometimes leaves stuff missing.

Mondo sweet.

GoneGuy
07-27-2008, 05:02 PM
RegularFry, Thanks!

I've only just found this thread and like many others I'm very glad I did. Your plugin is by far the best way to get a hold of SketchUp models.

I've been working on a cutaway section view of a development proposal. The model comes in as loads of separate pieces (is that right?) but they are much more 'solid' and like the architects original SketchUp model.

Thanks so much for your generous work.

Having only just discovered SketchUp myself and seeing it as an amazing illustration tool, I love that lesford had got a production department using it. I'll read back over this thread but I'd love to hear more.

Thanks again.
Rory

(PS. I'm on a Mac G5, SU6, LW9.3)

regularfry
07-28-2008, 02:39 AM
No worries - glad it's useful :)

qwz
08-06-2008, 07:48 AM
very useful, thanks

InfoCentral
11-01-2008, 10:36 PM
Just found this myself and I can't wait to download it and give it a try...is 0.0.6 the latest version?

regularfry
11-02-2008, 02:49 AM
Quick word of warning - the code may be somewhat stale. I haven't looked at it in a while, and Sketchup may have updated in the mean time. If you have any problems, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

regularfry
11-02-2008, 02:49 AM
Just found this myself and I can't wait to download it and give it a try...is 0.0.6 the latest version?

Yes, it is.

/me reminds self not to post before coffee

rakker16mm
11-28-2008, 02:50 AM
regularfry,

Thank you for creating this plugin. It has become such a lifesaver. I had no idea I would be using it so much. At this point I am using Sketchup like a plugin for modeler. I'm using it in Sketchup 6 and it's working great, but I haven't been able to get it to work in version 7.

daforum
11-28-2008, 04:26 AM
Has anyone seen this link? http://alexvaqp.googlepages.com/sketchupblender

The textures are applied to the model in Blender and then all you have to do is export object/ texture from Blender as a lwo.

regularfry
11-28-2008, 06:30 AM
regularfry,

Thank you for creating this plugin. It has become such a lifesaver. I had no idea I would be using it so much. At this point I am using Sketchup like a plugin for modeler. I'm using it in Sketchup 6 and it's working great, but I haven't been able to get it to work in version 7.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to see what I can do. I haven't looked at it in a while, so it might take me a little time to get it into shape.

InfoCentral
11-28-2008, 02:09 PM
Nice!

Cyberfish_Fred
03-17-2009, 04:57 AM
I want to import sketchup files (.skp) into Lightwave, which ways are there to do this?

Nigel Baker
03-17-2009, 05:12 AM
Hello Cyber fish

and welcome.

First off if you have SketchUp Pro.
You can export .obj files or 3Ds files.

Here is a link for an excellent exporter from SketchUp to Lightwave and is the best around.
http://shaxam.com/files/lwo_export-0.0.3.zip

This seems only to work in SketchUp 6 and not seven so beware.
Hope this helps.

Regards,
Nigel

regularfry
03-17-2009, 05:21 AM
Hello Cyber fish

and welcome.

First off if you have SketchUp Pro.
You can export .obj files or 3Ds files.

Here is a link for an excellent exporter from SketchUp to Lightwave and is the best around.
http://shaxam.com/files/lwo_export-0.0.3.zip

Use http://shaxam.com/files/lwo_export-0.0.6.zip unless you've got a good reason not to - it's got several bug-fixes in it.

This seems only to work in SketchUp 6 and not seven so beware.
Hope this helps.

Yeah. I'll have to fix that as soon as I can get round to it.

Nigel Baker
03-17-2009, 05:29 AM
Hello Regular fry,

Thanks for the clarification on the latest version and
for the additional nugget of information. I thought it was SketchUps issue.
At the same time it would not export Maxwell mxs files either. but I think that is fixed now with the latest SketchUp update.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Nigel

Cyberfish_Fred
03-17-2009, 06:24 AM
Okay thanks but at the moment I don't have sketchup (pro) so I have to import a skp file into lightwave.....

Nigel Baker
03-17-2009, 06:52 AM
Hello Cyberfish Fred,

Not sure if it allows but install the lwo exporter into sketchup 6 and see if that works.
otherwise that is the limitations on Sketchup is the import and export options.

Regards,
Nigel

Ztreem
03-17-2009, 02:40 PM
I don't know if this is mentioned in this thread but it excist an easy way of getting objects from sketchup to LW. In sketch up you export as .kmz (google earth4) object(it's actually a collada file), rename it to zip and open it, extract the files. in the models folder you will find your object as a collade file (.dae). Just load that file in LW, easy. :)

SteveH
03-17-2009, 03:10 PM
Man tha works awesomly! Thanks Ztreem!:thumbsup:

shrox
03-18-2009, 03:02 AM
I have been using this exporter, works great. I use it to get the basic shape of some of London's landmarks, then I detail them out in Lightwave. Thanks for making this.

bjornkn
03-18-2009, 05:00 AM
Exporting as kmz/dae may work fine from SU, but importing into LW is a different matter... So far I have never been able to import anything from dae or fbx that comes in complete with all geometry, UV and all textures/surfaces.
The only format LW can open without too many problems is 3ds, which I use most of the time. Despite all the triangles. I can also export as obj, but then I need to convert it to lwo in another program like Deep Exploration or PolyTrans. LW cannot read it from OBJ with uv and textures.
LWs import tools simply are not very good.

shrox
03-18-2009, 05:07 AM
Exporting as kmz/dae may work fine from SU, but importing into LW is a different matter... So far I have never been able to import anything from dae or fbx that comes in complete with all geometry, UV and all textures/surfaces.
The only format LW can open without too many problems is 3ds, which I use most of the time. Despite all the triangles. I can also export as obj, but then I need to convert it to lwo in another program like Deep Exploration or PolyTrans. LW cannot read it from OBJ with uv and textures.
LWs import tools simply are not very good.

I downloaded and installed SketchUp, then added the plugin from Ztreem to export lwo, it works well for me, but I have only tried skp files.

bjornkn
03-18-2009, 06:29 AM
It seems to work in SU7Pro now too?
It works ok, but have a few problems that make it not fit into my workflow.

First of all, it does not allow you to export selection_only, which is a must for me.
It does not export textures, but reference them OK if they are present.
It does not handle photo-matched textures.
It creates one UV map for every texture/surface.
It exports as triangles, just like 3ds export.

shrox
03-18-2009, 06:32 AM
It seems to work in SU7Pro now too?
It works ok, but have a few problems that make it not fit into my workflow.

First of all, it does not allow you to export selection_only, which is a must for me.
It does not export textures, but reference them OK if they are present.
It does not handle photo-matched textures.
It creates one UV map for every texture/surface.
It exports as triangles, just like 3ds export.

It does export textures. You have to open the materials panel in SU, then find the image by clicking on the little house icon, the right click on the image to save it out. Well, I guess it doesn't export the textures, but they can be acquired. It's a bit of work, but better than nothing.

bjornkn
03-18-2009, 06:38 AM
It does export textures. You have to open the materials panel in SU, then find the image by clicking on the little house icon, the right click on the image to save it out. It's a bit of work, but better than nothing.
Which means that you have to export the textures yourself!
As i wrote, it references the textures ok if they are present (except for transparency/alpha).
And yes, it is better than nothing ;)

tijgervisuals
03-18-2009, 09:15 AM
And yes, it is better than nothing

Even more so since the script works with the free version, so no buying needed :boogiedow

Mmm, maybe i'll read the EULA (there's probably some reference to only being allowed to use the free version for non-commercial use) :(

Edit: just glanced over it and i can't seem to spot such prohibition... nice!

archijam
03-20-2009, 05:36 AM
I have been using this exporter, works great. I use it to get the basic shape of some of London's landmarks, then I detail them out in Lightwave. Thanks for making this.

Hey shrox, seen the collections here (http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/search?q=london&btnG=Search&styp=c&reps=1)?

Could save you some time ...

shrox
03-20-2009, 07:43 AM
Hey shrox, seen the collections here (http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/search?q=london&btnG=Search&styp=c&reps=1)?

Could save you some time ...

Yep, I have been using those as guides. Still have to rebuild them, as they are often kinda crooked or misaligned.

Julez4001
10-23-2009, 11:45 AM
What the latest procedure for Sketchup to Lightwave?
Do you need the pro version?

tijgervisuals
10-23-2009, 11:50 AM
nope, using 7 freeware and the script still works beautifully. You only need an extra download for dwg/dxf import. I haven't got the collada export to work yet.

Wickster
10-23-2009, 12:17 PM
What the latest procedure for Sketchup to Lightwave?
Do you need the pro version?
From sketchup free -> export your object to a Google Earth -> go to your exported object and rename the extention to .zip -> open the zip file and you'll see the collada object (.dae).

If you can import the collada object then there you go. If not, install Blender 3D and inport it there -> from Blender3D, export to LightWave (lwo) object.

Ztreem
10-23-2009, 12:40 PM
In sketchup 7 -> export as collada and in Lightwave 9.6 just open.

tijgervisuals
10-23-2009, 12:49 PM
I wish it were so simple. If i do that everthing comes in rotated with funny holes. For now I'll stick with the ruby-script. It doesn't automatically export the internal textures, but i just use Sketchup too quickly model and i mostly add detail in modeler. Sometimes however i fully model everything using well named materials, so i can progressively detail the model in scketchup. This to ensure the ease of use when presenting the design to the customers (architectural) and the relatively simple way of changing things around. I then re-export to lwo and import into the textured model so the textures are already in order. Hit 'f' (Fprime shortcut) Go! Works a charm!

Gui Lo
08-01-2010, 04:25 AM
I've tried all the ways but I cannot load the objects. I get a bad object error.
Even LW own callada exporter creates bad objects.

Can someone post a very simple object (ie a box) in .dae that definitely works so I can test my setup.

I am using a MacBook OSX.6.4

Thanks

Danner
08-01-2010, 07:28 AM
There is a HUGE model database you can use to get objects. Many of them include a collada version. http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/

That page is the reason I convert sketchup objects to LW, but LW collada import is really bad, some things will just not show up at all. Blender and 3d exploration load collada better and export .lwo that are usually clean but not always.

Keep in mind that if you are somewhat good at modeler it might be slower to: Search for an object, convert it, clean it up. Than to make it in LW from scratch.

mjjntd
11-01-2010, 09:10 AM
Hello,

I'm trying to get hold of http://shaxam.com/files/lwo_export-0.0.6.zip
but the website has been down for a few days. Is there another
source for this file?

Thanks!

prometheus
11-02-2010, 08:36 AM
Hello,

I'm trying to get hold of http://shaxam.com/files/lwo_export-0.0.6.zip
but the website has been down for a few days. Is there another
source for this file?

Thanks!

check your private messages, preferably within one hour from this post if you can.

Michael

JohnMarchant
11-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Hi,

I seem to have missed the boat on this one, any chance of a re upload of the latest version.

Thanks

prometheus
11-02-2010, 09:12 AM
Hi,

I seem to have missed the boat on this one, any chance of a re upload of the latest version.

Thanks

After reading the license, I believe that It should be ok to post the plugin here.

so here you go..not entirely sure if this was the latest version thou.

Michael

JohnMarchant
11-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Thanks very much for that, hope its ok with the license, if not let me know and i will delete it from my HD

prometheus
11-02-2010, 09:20 AM
Thanks very much for that, hope its ok with the license, if not let me know and i will delete it from my HD

The license terms is packed in the zipfile and should always be.
It goes..
Copyright (c) 2007, Shaxam.com

All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
are met:

* Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
* Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
* Neither the name of the Shaxam.com nor the names of its contributors
may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
without specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS
"AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT
LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR
A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR
CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL,
EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR
PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING
NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

prometheus
11-02-2010, 09:24 AM
Im not sure if it works with the latest sketchup thou, I have to install and check, right now I havenīt had the time to install it yet on my new comp.
and the version I used before was sketchup 6.

Michael

prometheus
11-03-2010, 04:27 AM
What a f..bummer!

I just installed google sketchup 8 and it seems that the exporter that was posted here isnīt recognized by sketchup when it loads, I canīt find it in the preferences extension tab anyway.

If anyone getīs this to work, please let us know here.

I tried the collada export aswell, but Itseems that wont export any readable geometry, neither for lightwave or for deep explorer wich is a 3d converter tool so that sucks.

Michael

prometheus
11-03-2010, 04:35 AM
Ohh..I was copying the wrong rb plugin in to the directory.

thereīs of course the rb plugin for lightwave wich is located in the lwo folder and the sketchup plugin at the root folder.

make sure to use the right rb plugin file.

Ridicoulus what was I thinking.

Michael

prometheus
11-03-2010, 04:45 AM
Yezz...Im such a bummer today, I had no breakfast and that can spoil the whole day.
Anyway, put everything in this plugin folder in to the sketchup plugin folder, except license and read me.

check the lwo exporter in the sketchup preferences/extension.
You will then find the lwo exporter in the sketchup tools menu.

Good luck.

Michael

JohnMarchant
11-17-2010, 06:19 AM
I would love to know how a 10mb sketchup files becomes a 400mb obj file, am i missing something here

prometheus
11-17-2010, 08:10 AM
Obj file? not lwo?

How do you export out the file?
sounds weird, a simple block in google sketchup 8 file as it is might be something around 56 kb, and exported out through the above mentioned exporter will give around 4 kb.

what kind of object is it, is it downloaded warehouse objects or what?

Could it be texture conversion?

Michael

JohnMarchant
11-17-2010, 08:13 AM
Obj file? not lwo?

How do you export out the file?
sounds weird, a simple block in google sketchup 8 file as it is might be something around 56 kb, and exported out through the above mentioned exporter will give around 4 kb.

what kind of object is it, is it downloaded warehouse objects or what?

Could it be texture conversion?

Michael

Yeah its from warehouse, its just over 10 mb when you export it to obj it becomes 400 mb, this is not a one off many of the models seem to become huge when exported. Not sure if its texture, i can point you to a specific file if you have sketchup.

There also seem to be allot of extra polys, so i merge polys and points in LW but the files are still horrendous compared to when they were in sketchup, allot of wierd flipping of some polys as well.

prometheus
11-17-2010, 08:50 AM
Yeah its from warehouse, its just over 10 mb when you export it to obj it becomes 400 mb, this is not a one off many of the models seem to become huge when exported. Not sure if its texture, i can point you to a specific file if you have sketchup.

There also seem to be allot of extra polys, so i merge polys and points in LW but the files are still horrendous compared to when they were in sketchup, allot of wierd flipping of some polys as well.

Well I got the free google sketchup 8 version but that doesnīt export out to obj files as Im aware of.

I still donīt get what export way (pro exporters?)you are using or what version of sketchup you are using?

Michael

JohnMarchant
11-17-2010, 09:11 AM
I have v 8 sketchup. I export as obj, them import to Deep exploration, or sometimes straight into LW if the obj is not to big.

prometheus
11-17-2010, 10:23 AM
aha..so thatīs sketchup pro.

Deep exploration is nice, I use it at work to convert our solidworks models.

Michael

JohnMarchant
11-17-2010, 10:30 AM
aha..so thatīs sketchup pro.

Deep exploration is nice, I use it at work to convert our solidworks models.

Michael

Yeah its Sketchup Pro, deep exploration is good, just wish i could find a clean way to export from sketchup without all the extra geometry and flipped busted ploys.

prometheus
11-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Yeah its Sketchup Pro, deep exploration is good, just wish i could find a clean way to export from sketchup without all the extra geometry and flipped busted ploys.

I havent used the whole thing a lot so, but have you tested that plugin I posted above, isnīt it giving cleaner geometry, or at least not flipping polys?

Michael

JohnMarchant
11-17-2010, 10:35 AM
I could not get it to work, or maybe im using it wrong

JohnMarchant
11-17-2010, 10:38 AM
Im giving it another crack now

JohnMarchant
11-17-2010, 10:42 AM
Just tried it, it seem to work, just need to convert from triangles

prometheus
11-17-2010, 10:48 AM
Great..

one has to be careful and unzip all those two rb plugins..it should be
lw_export.rb And export.rb

both those files just needs to be placed under google/sketchup/plugins folder
at the root.

make sure sketchup is closed first,and start it up, in windows/preferences we need to activate it under extensions, it should be a basic lwo exporter checkbox there.
to export we go to the tools menu, where we can find the export plugin

For everyone to know..

Michael

JohnMarchant
11-17-2010, 10:54 AM
Thanks allot Michael

prometheus
11-17-2010, 11:05 AM
the sketchup native collada doesnīt seem to work for anything except getting textures out of it.

lightwave doesnt recognize any geometry from sketchup collada.

Maybe saving it to kmz, and rename to dae could work? I heard something of that.

Michael

prometheus
11-17-2010, 11:23 AM
here we go again..

well..the trick was in earlier sketchup versions to save kmz and rename to zip, and unpack that and it would create a collada file, that was before sketchup 8, with 8 comes native collada and Ive tried both these kind of exports.

Over at flay.com they say that the collada worked, but I guess that was collada from sketchup 6 or 7.
http://www.flay.com/getdetail.cfm?ID=2362

For me with sketchup 8 collada doesnt work, and the shaxams lwo exporter doesnīt save out the textures.

remapping them to those textures from collad is a pain since the requested images donīt have the same name.

Michael

Michael

prometheus
11-17-2010, 11:49 AM
I tried to import the collada from sketchup in to houdini apprentice and vue 8.5 ple...and Itīs the same thing there, it loads the scenefile but neither program can find any geometry file in there.

So Lightwave is most certainly not the faulting part for this import issue.
Just bad sketchup exporter.

Michael

JohnMarchant
11-17-2010, 12:36 PM
Yeah ive had not luck with collada either, did not try to change the file to Zip. Not to worried about remapping surfaces just wish i could get the output in Quads not Triangles.

Rayek
11-17-2010, 01:04 PM
It IS kinda strange how SketchUp 8 exports its collada files. I created a simple structure, and it imports fine (though rotated 90 degrees on its side, no textures selected) in Modeler.

Introducing library components, I exploded those first before exporting to Collada - this way it loads fine in both Photoshop and Modeler. Photoshop does a good job keeping most of the textures intact.

Blender imports the structure, though leaves out the default flat 'human', or at least seems to import only last-worked-on object.

Rayek
11-17-2010, 01:12 PM
Yeah ive had not luck with collada either, did not try to change the file to Zip. Not to worried about remapping surfaces just wish i could get the output in Quads not Triangles.

Isn't there a plugin that will convert tris to quads? Anyways, I use Blender's tri to quad function, which does a good job on most SketchUp models - as long as there are not too many curvilinear surfaces.

JohnMarchant
11-17-2010, 01:13 PM
Michael, ive played around with the LWO export plugin but all it seems to do is make all the surfaces double sided, if you revert them to single sided then its a rats nest of flipped polys and stuff. Am i missing something because i could have done that myself in modeler. I was hoping it would sort out the normals so they are facing the right way

JohnMarchant
11-17-2010, 01:16 PM
Isn't there a plugin that will convert tris to quads? Anyways, I use Blender's tri to quad function, which does a good job on most SketchUp models - as long as there are not too many curvilinear surfaces.

Yeah there is in LW MTrigone or merge Trigon but its a bit hit and miss and you have to be careful because it can screw your geometry up.

Never tried the Blender route and would not know how to

Rayek
11-17-2010, 01:52 PM
Funny, I just tried Photoshop CS5 again:

- colours and textures seem to be fine
- model imports fine

I then exported the 3d layer as a wavefront obj file. Hey, it works in both Modeler and Blender - though some faces need normal adjustment. But by and large, it works. Multiple textures I added in SketchUp worked without any adjustment (in Blender - did not test LW). I converted tris to quads in Blender, and the textures were not affected at all.

Who would have ever thought Photoshop would make a good Collada converter... :-P

JohnMarchant
11-17-2010, 01:55 PM
So some Blender 101 please. Open model in Blender then what do i have to do to convert from Tri to Quad please

Rayek
11-17-2010, 02:20 PM
1 - file, import
2 - select object, hit <TAB> to enter model mode
3 - switch to face mode: <ctrl><tab>, then hit <3> or click "face"
4 - select all polys <a>
5 - <alt><j> for tris to quads (or: menu MESH-->FACE-->TRIS TO QUAD)
6 - export as obj for LW, if you like. (FILE-->EXPORT-->your choice

I am using one of the newest optimized builds from Graphicall (http://www.graphicall.org/builds/). filiciss (right column) has some great builds that include all the latest and greatest patches.

To see the actual textures in your view, hit <alt><z>(textured view - you will need a light in your scene), <n> (properties for view), twirl down the display settings, and set the shading to GLSL.

Be careful that you position your mouse cursor on top of the window that you want to 'listen' to your key strokes. So in the above examples, move your mouse pointer within the 3d view. Otherwise 'strange' things might happen! ;-)

JohnMarchant
11-17-2010, 02:40 PM
No wonder i dont like Blender, i cant even begin to do what you said, select object no problem, where is face mode, cant see it. Lets try with the menus not these stupid icons. Sorry mate ive tried to get on with Blender before but gave up eventually every time.

Rayek
11-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Well, if you would ask a 3ds Max or Maya user to perform similar steps in Lightwave, they'd probably have a similar reaction as you have now, and be completely lost. Most commands are textual, just like Lightwave.

I used short-cut keys as much as I could, to make the conversion as smooth as possible - just follow the steps. When in edit mode, (tab), there are three small icons at the bottom of the window: one is face mode.

JohnMarchant
11-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Well, if you would ask a 3ds Max or Maya user to perform similar steps in Lightwave, they'd probably have a similar reaction as you have now, and be completely lost. Most commands are textual, just like Lightwave.

I used short-cut keys as much as I could, to make the conversion as smooth as possible - just follow the steps. When in edit mode, (tab), there are three small icons at the bottom of the window: one is face mode.

Of course they would, and i regret not getting into Blender, as soon as they get a better UI i will do, thanks for your help mate.

John

JohnMarchant
11-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Well i give up, there are loads of icons at the bottom, thanks anyway

jeric_synergy
03-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Here's a screen grab. ("3" did not work here.)

Whenever I take a couple days to actually use Blender, i kinda like it. The first ten hours are torture though.

Ooops, "Lazarus Thread". Carry on...........

starbase1
03-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Interesting that this thread woke up!

The other day I found an online converter that handles sketchup:
http://www.babel3d.com/

Also some CAD files which is very handy...
Nick

4dartist
03-30-2011, 03:13 PM
I have finally realized you can import google earth terrain data into sketchup pro then to lightwave.

I found that the .obj that sketchup pro 7.1 exports is often broken up when imported to lightwaves poor .obj importer. However, if you open it in modo, then save out as a .lwo it opens fine in lightwave. :)

Although it is awesome to have the ability to use this terrain data, the method scetchup uses to grab it blows... You can only take a small sample at a time, and the further the camera is away from it (grabbing more area) grabs less resolution on the mesh. Then to extent your terrain you have to keep grabbing, but you get overlapping polygons that don't line up or anything. If someone made a program that exported the mesh from google earth from the point you were looking at, at full mesh res, to a set distance in meters/kilometers. That.. I would pay big money for! :)

bjornkn
03-31-2011, 02:46 AM
I've been using SketchUp models in LW for years without any problems.
I usually export selections in meters, as 3ds. In LW/Modeler I import with Scale-box ticked off, and it pops right in.
BTW, I would not pay big money for GE terrain data, as it is pretty coarse anyway.
Have you tried any SU plugins?
Like terrain reshaper?
Or a LW plugin like MoveOnBackground (or something like that) that will let you drape a mesh onto the GE/SU patchwork terrain?

4dartist
03-31-2011, 08:41 AM
I've never heard of SU plugins or Terrain reshaper. I'll have to search around for them.

The Move on background sounds interesting too!

bjornkn
03-31-2011, 11:37 AM
SU plugins are very useful for many tasks.
Most of them are free, but still very powerful.
You even get Vray plugin (as well as other nice, biased/unbiased renderers like Twilight):
http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtopic.php?p=250026
for a good selection of plugins.
http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtopic.php?t=11320 for Terrain Reshaper directly.

Smustard is another SU plugin site, and there are others as well.

http://www.ribsngibs.com/pages/CG/plugins/movePointOnBG.html
for the LW plugin.

BTW, I just bought Twilight renderer ($99), and am so far pretty impressed.
Here's a quick test render from a design project I'm working on currently. One single light only.

kopperdrake
03-08-2012, 06:06 AM
Interesting that this thread woke up!

The other day I found an online converter that handles sketchup:
http://www.babel3d.com/

Also some CAD files which is very handy...
Nick

Nice one Nick - I've just used them and whilst the polys aren't all aligned, for $0.99 per object it was a painless affair. Thanks for the headsup :thumbsup:

Nigel Baker
03-08-2012, 06:15 AM
Hi all

Excellent, pricing and I see here that if you log $9.99 you also get ten translations for free.

Thanks for the update, you would expect though by this time LghtWave been such a mature application that it can't. Just looking at modo 601 and it's it's capacities.

Regards,
Nigel

jeric_synergy
03-08-2012, 01:09 PM
I found that the .obj that sketchup pro 7.1 exports is often broken up when imported to lightwaves poor .obj importer. However, if you open it in modo, then save out as a .lwo it opens fine in lightwave. :)
If MODO is correctly and successfully importing OBJs that LW is not, I'd definitely bundle up a few clear examples and send them thru to FogBugz.

Without clear examples we'll never get the things fixed that we'd like to have fixed. :devil:

shrox
03-08-2012, 01:48 PM
I used the pro demo version, I just export to 3DS, then import that. If you close it right away, the 8 hours is usually long enough to export for months with until an upgrade comes out, then 8 more hours.

jeric_synergy
03-08-2012, 06:41 PM
I used the pro demo version,
That's MODO, correct? (Not SU.)

shrox
03-08-2012, 06:54 PM
That's MODO, correct? (Not SU.)

SketchUp.

jeric_synergy
03-08-2012, 07:54 PM
SketchUp.
OOOOooooooo, that's good info then! :thumbsup:

Wait, so you're creating stuff in the free SU, then exporting via the Pro Demo???

shrox
03-09-2012, 10:35 AM
OOOOooooooo, that's good info then! :thumbsup:

Wait, so you're creating stuff in the free SU, then exporting via the Pro Demo???

No, if I get a model that is in SketchUp, I can convert it easily. Load into SU Pro Demo, then export as .3DS. It does mess up an occasional surface, but not often. It's also a good idea to save the export to it's own folder, some maps on different models will have the same names.

Just remember to close SU Pro right away, it's only got 8 hours.

wesleycorgi
03-09-2012, 10:28 PM
I used the pro demo version, I just export to 3DS, then import that. If you close it right away, the 8 hours is usually long enough to export for months with until an upgrade comes out, then 8 more hours.

That's funny; that's what I do, too. One time, I accidentally walked away from my computer and returned about 12 hours later with Sketchup still running. Horrified, I quit out. Came back the next day, and it still told me that I had 8 hours (and I've been using Pro Version 6 for the past 2 years).

wesleycorgi
03-09-2012, 10:34 PM
you would expect though by this time LghtWave been such a mature application that it can't. Just looking at modo 601 and it's it's capacities.

I know folks like to bash Lightwave, but no app is an end-all/be-all. I use Modo, Blender, and others to get various formats across different apps. For example, Modo 601 doesn't do as good a job as LW10/11 with FBX content. Sometimes, I have an OBJ that is imported more elegantly in Blender than Modo. I am finding that LW11 actually does a better job than earlier versions with the imported OBJs that I have been working with recently.

jeric_synergy
03-10-2012, 10:29 AM
No, if I get a model that is in SketchUp, I can convert it easily. Load into SU Pro Demo, then export as .3DS. It does mess up an occasional surface, but not often. It's also a good idea to save the export to it's own folder, some maps on different models will have the same names.
So, do you have clients bringing you meshes in SU format???

( :D I just mis-typed a good neologism: "messhes" -- defined as: bad geometry that clients bring you.)

shrox
03-10-2012, 11:02 AM
So, do you have clients bringing you meshes in SU format???

( :D I just mis-typed a good neologism: "messhes" -- defined as: bad geometry that clients bring you.)

Yes.

jeric_synergy
03-10-2012, 12:18 PM
I'm surprised! What kind of stuff are they bringing you, or is it of all varieties?

shrox
03-10-2012, 12:21 PM
I'm surprised! What kind of stuff are they bringing you, or is it of all varieties?

It's just 3D, it's whatever the client has...no different than a getting an asset in any other format.

jeric_synergy
03-10-2012, 05:10 PM
Sorry to pick at this... no tendencies towards, say, buildings or structures over fancy text?

shrox
03-10-2012, 06:28 PM
Sorry to pick at this... no tendencies towards, say, buildings or structures over fancy text?

Space probes, construction machines, bugs, anything.

Are you asking if people give me stuff they took from 3D Warehouse? Yes they do.

jeric_synergy
03-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Thanks for your patience: I didn't even know of 3D Warehouse.

So, people grab just likely crap from 3D Warehouse, tweek it a bit maybe, and then have you animate it? ::scratches head:: Are they end clients, or are you subcontracting to other animators?

(I'm only asking 'cuz my {semi-theoretical} business has always been more of zero-to-finish kind of thing-- maybe I need to branch out/reach out to other animators to extend my biz/market.)