PDA

View Full Version : Problems with OSX 10.4.9

sootin
03-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Hello,
Has anyone had any problems with Lightwave 9 since downloading the latest upgrade of OSX. Layout won't load anymore it chrashes as soon as it boots up. I've re-installed lightwave 9 but the problem still continues. I did download a trial version of Modo 203 which I have since un-installed, would this affect Lightwave in anyway? Any help would be greatly appreciated, so I don't have to wipe my hard drive and re-install everything. By the way I've still got Lightwave 8.5 on my computer and Layout opens fine.

Thanks sootin

Darth Mole
03-25-2007, 04:19 PM
No problems here - updated to 10.4.9 and LW is just the same as before. Is this a case of trashing prefs files and repairing permissions?

brian.coates
03-25-2007, 10:54 PM
The best thing to do when installing updates looks like this:

- re-install a vanilla version of 10.4, (or the version that your Mac came with).
- repairing permissions using Disk Utility on the install DVD, (not the one installed on your HD). Keep repairing permissions until you get no errors.
- update using the Combo Update, so you go straight to 10.4.9 from any previous version.
- repair permission again.

Check out Apple's Support forums (http://www.apple.com/support/) for more detailed instructions.

Depending on how much third party stuff you have the process can take up to half a day, but you can pretty well guarantee no problems afterwards. Well, almost... :D

gatz
03-26-2007, 03:42 AM
An article on MacInTouch relayed an report that tracked down the disparate results from upgrades. It was tracked to the optimizing phase of the install and the issue of busy file being zeroed out. The recommendation is to shut all extraneous apps down, and to not even more the mouse during the optimizing phase. This goes for all OS installs not just system upgrades. It can still happen but the odds are reduced.

BTW 10.4.9 and LW are fin here.

Phil
03-29-2007, 03:03 AM
Ouch. That sucks. Thankfully, when 10.4.9 came out, I set it going and left for work. Came back after all the messing around had taken place.

I am having issues with network mounts though. PathFinder seems to really dislike trying to use spring folders with network mounts via the device display. It causes PF to lock up completely, requiring a force quit.

Sucks. It wasn't an issue under 10.4.8 and the developers claim to be innocent. *mutter*

3dworks
03-29-2007, 04:02 AM
Hello,
Has anyone had any problems with Lightwave 9 since downloading the latest upgrade of OSX. Layout won't load anymore it chrashes as soon as it boots up. I've re-installed lightwave 9 but the problem still continues. I did download a trial version of Modo 203 which I have since un-installed, would this affect Lightwave in anyway? Any help would be greatly appreciated, so I don't have to wipe my hard drive and re-install everything. By the way I've still got Lightwave 8.5 on my computer and Layout opens fine.

Thanks sootin

works very fine here on all my macs (ranging from minimac G4 over G5 powermacs to intel macpro's, but i'm always very careful when upgrading, using always the combo updaters!

m.

eblu
03-29-2007, 08:57 AM
An article on MacInTouch relayed an report that tracked down the disparate results from upgrades. It was tracked to the optimizing phase of the install and the issue of busy file being zeroed out. The recommendation is to shut all extraneous apps down, and to not even more the mouse during the optimizing phase. This goes for all OS installs not just system upgrades. It can still happen but the odds are reduced.

BTW 10.4.9 and LW are fin here.

i have never been careful about installing os updates. i have never had a single problem with any of them. period. I know mileage may vary, but I have a really hard time accepting that there isn't something else going on here.
if you are having upgrade problems, I suggest you take an inventory of how many 3rd party add-ons you have installed. I try very hard to use none, and like I said before, I haven't had any problems with os upgrades.

dsol
04-03-2007, 07:06 AM
I updated to 10.4.9 last week and haven't had any issues with LW, though I have noticed that the Eject key on my keyboard now has to be held down for a second or so in order for the DVD tray to open - bizarre! At first I thought it had knackered it completely and was spitting blood at Apple :) Still a bit odd though - and apps that open the tray for you (like toast) don't seem to work properly any more. I hope (against hope) that Leopard fixes all this!

TomT
04-03-2007, 08:19 AM
the Eject key on my keyboard now has to be held down for a second or so in order for the DVD tray to open

That change was on purpose. Laptop users with the low profile keyboards kept bumping their eject keys and spitting out DVDs, so Apple put a delay in. Make sure you update your version of Toast. The current version works the tray just fine on my systems.

HTH

Scazzino
04-03-2007, 11:11 AM
I think the eject delay is a "fix" they added because people kept ejecting disks by mistake on the Mac Books if they accidently hit the eject key. Now you need to hold it in for a bit to be sure you want to eject the disk...

dsol
04-03-2007, 11:25 AM
That's fair enough - for laptop users. For desktop folks like me it's a slight but unjustified nuisance. It'd be fine if Apple had bothered to make this a preference you could change, but as far as I can see there's nothing like that in system prefs.

Grrr.... it's almost as bad as Vista... ONLY JOKING! (nothing is as bad as Vista, and I don't mind XP that much)

Johnny
04-06-2007, 04:52 PM
anyone having issues with 10.4.9 and who are using LW 8.5?

dunno if it would make a diff 8.5 versus LW 9, but just wanted to make sure before I make that leap to 10.4.9

my set up is 10.4.8 right now, and everything's workin' just fine

J

cscardinal
04-10-2007, 01:27 PM
You might try and update the prebinding. Helps with a range of minor problems and annoyance; your machine will also run better.

Go to console and type: sudo update_prebinding -root /

Give it a few minutes to run and then reboot your machine.