PDA

View Full Version : Basics of Animation Question

kirkeric
03-25-2007, 08:44 AM
Hello all,

I am trying to figure out just some basics here to go on. I understand it seems best to save in frames. Got it. But I would like to know just a simple few steps on how I can make an object move.

For example, I build a box and just want it to spiral around and move across the screen. How do I do that?

Thanks,
Eric

hrgiger
03-25-2007, 08:52 AM
Reading or even skimming the manual would be a good start.

But the short version: Have autokey on. Move your frame slider to something other then 0. Move or rotate your object as desired. Push play.

kirkeric
03-25-2007, 09:22 AM
I've been using the manual that comes with the CD. Actually it hasnt been nearly as useful so far as the video tutorials so I've been going back and forth. The videos are good, however sometimes they use keystrokes, changing views, cursors without really telling you what they did.

Autokey is on. I guess what you mean below by putting slider to other than zero is that if I then move or rotate object, it will then follow the same path, sort of recording the movement I made?

Thanks,
Eric

Reading or even skimming the manual would be a good start.

But the short version: Have autokey on. Move your frame slider to something other then 0. Move or rotate your object as desired. Push play.

hrgiger
03-25-2007, 09:46 AM
Where ever you set the object at a given frame is where it will be during the animation. Lightwave interpolates the position of the object on every frame in between the keyframes based on curves. It works the same in any animation package.

Tom Wood
03-25-2007, 11:23 AM
I dislike Auto Key because it will add way too many keyframes if you let it.

Load an object, select it, place the time slider at the bottom at frame 0 and then hit Create Key to lock it in place at that frame. Place the time slider at the end frame, move the object to where you want it at that frame, create key. Play that to see it move.

Now, click on the Modify tab at the top, then the Rotate button under the Rotate heading in the column of choices. At the bottom left enter a value of 360 for the H (Heading) value. Place the time slider at the end frame and create key. Hit play, the object should move and rotate 360 degrees during the move from the first to last frame.

All those attributes in the left column of the Modify tab can be animated similarly.

Note that if you move lights and cameras during an animation, that you have to lock them in place with keyframes at each location where you want them, including the first frame.

hrgiger
03-25-2007, 11:39 AM

This might be true but this guy is obivously just learning. Autokey will allow him to do the same thing with less steps. I don't think he's to the point yet where he's worried about the nuances of his animation curves. Keep it simple. IMHO, of course.

Tom Wood
03-25-2007, 11:47 AM
This might be true but this guy is obivously just learning. Autokey will allow him to do the same thing with less steps. I don't think he's to the point yet where he's worried about the nuances of his animation curves. Keep it simple. IMHO, of course.

I understand, but as a beginner it messed me up because I didn't understand what it was doing when sometimes I was just playing around with the time slider.

BTW, I can't edit my post now, but that reference to the 'left' column depends on your Layout window setup. I mean the column of choices that comes up when the Modify tab is selected. I'm on a dual monitor and have Layout on the left, Modeler on the right, and the menu columns to the extreme outside edges.

lion111
03-25-2007, 06:18 PM
animate just a rig or two or
looooow poly characters
almost
everthing is fine
but when its get more .............
we need speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed and something new
hopefully (and i am counting on this) we get it during this year
and ops sorry for....
moving just a box was not my concern
sorry again

kirkeric
03-26-2007, 10:38 AM
Thanks. I will check this out tonight. This sounds easy enough. I appreciate you taking the time to give these thorough directions.

Eric

Load an object, select it, place the time slider at the bottom at frame 0 and then hit Create Key to lock it in place at that frame. Place the time slider at the end frame, move the object to where you want it at that frame, create key. Play that to see it move.

Now, click on the Modify tab at the top, then the Rotate button under the Rotate heading in the column of choices. At the bottom left enter a value of 360 for the H (Heading) value. Place the time slider at the end frame and create key. Hit play, the object should move and rotate 360 degrees during the move from the first to last frame.

All those attributes in the left column of the Modify tab can be animated similarly.

Note that if you move lights and cameras during an animation, that you have to lock them in place with keyframes at each location where you want them, including the first frame.

kirkeric
03-26-2007, 10:40 AM
Actually the auto key was defaulted on from your previous one so that didnt seem to help. I thank you for your help as well.

By the way, love the "Pwawl-lee" avatar. Sopranos kicks off again soon!

Eric

DarkLight
03-27-2007, 02:40 AM
You may want to check out the Animation 101 forum on LWG. They have some good first steps for learning animation.
http://www.lwg3d.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=419

StormRising
03-30-2007, 01:15 PM
E-mail me at [email protected]

I'll help you along, like how I needed someone to help me along.:hey:
the problem is that everybody always assumes you know what they are talking about. I mean come-on most of the world DOES NOT KNOW WHAT LIGHTWAVE IS! or any other animation package for that matter, just geeks like us. You ask anybody who watches tv and movies, and they say it's just sfx right?:twak:

eagleeyed
04-09-2007, 02:56 AM
StormRising. Just as a future note. Always put the @ in brackets like 1234 (at) 1234.com . This stops most of the stupid scanner bots by spammers from picking up your email. I did it once on a forum, will never do it again.