PDA

View Full Version : Keeping 2 Objects together

kirkeric
03-25-2007, 08:37 AM
Hello,

I've been following one of the modeling tutorials and for the life of me, can't figure this one part out. It is basic. He builds a box, then builds a second box that is on top in order to show how to use the boolean subtract feature.

When he builds the second box and uses the rotate feature, they stay connected as one. When I do it, only the second box rotates and the first stays in place.

Any help?

Thanks,
Eric

Wonderpup
03-25-2007, 11:44 AM
Are both boxes on the same layer? If they are is one box selected and the other not?

kirkeric
03-26-2007, 10:34 AM
There are in different layers, however the video shows him activating a new layer with the first one in background and when he puts the new one down on top they seem to stick together as one.

Eric

Are both boxes on the same layer? If they are is one box selected and the other not?

Iain
03-27-2007, 04:38 AM
You can parent layers in Modeler. Maybe that's it?

Iain
03-27-2007, 04:45 AM
Scratch that. It only takes effect in Layout.

You can tell I don't animate (well-apart from little spinning ufos very late at night when my wife thinks I'm cleaning the bathroom.)

kirkeric
03-27-2007, 05:30 AM
Yeah, in the video tutorial, all he did was draw a square, then click the next layer (those tiny buttons in top right), and putting the square in background (so it looked wire), he drew a second square on top.

Then when he went to rotate, the two rotated as one. And when he rotated, it was still in second layer with first in background. He was about to do the demonstration for "subtract" so that the second one cut out of the first one.

Now, I see if you draw both on same layer, they both rotate together as one. But since I could see his actual screen, clearly the second layer was active and first in background.

It also took me a while to figure out he was doing a quick keystroke that I had to figure out to go from draw to rotate (y).

Appreciate any additional info. By the way, I want to build a spaceship too.. :)

Eric

You can parent layers in Modeler. Maybe that's it?

Cougar12dk
03-27-2007, 07:12 AM
And perhaps he was using the precise pointer and not the default "signs", so you can't tell when you switch just by looking at it.

kirkeric
03-27-2007, 09:04 AM
I had thought about him doing some swift keystroke but unless there is some keystroke to like "lock items together" it was pretty straightforward. Any ideas what he could have done?

I am not familiar with the precise pointer versus the signs but I do know it is readily visible when he quickly moves to rotate.

Eric

And perhaps he was using the precise pointer and not the default "signs", so you can't tell when you switch just by looking at it.

Cougar12dk
03-27-2007, 09:07 AM
The precise pointer looks like the pointer you get when you're selecting points. the default ones are the ones where the pointer changes when you select a different tool.

blindsided
03-27-2007, 10:06 AM
maybe he was just orbiting in perspective mode, so the boxes were not moving, only the view??/

Surrealist.
03-27-2007, 12:21 PM
OK here's how it works in Lightwave:

1)You can have two items in one layer and rotate them both.

2)You can select both layers as forground layers and rotate and they both will rotate.

There is no way to manipulate a layer that is in the BG.

The only excepetion to this is some tools such as aligner which allow you to manipulate BG layers in relation to the FG layer.

Any any other exception to this rule would be a special plugin.

It does not sound like the tutorial is using some special plugin.

With this information you can watch the video and use deduction to figure it out. Rotating the perspective view is the most obvious answer. Other wise it was either a) in the same layer or b) both layers were in the FG.

kirkeric
03-28-2007, 06:17 AM
Ok. It must be in the perspective mode I guess, however I can tell you that clearly one had the wireframe look, the other not. And the layer buttons showed one in background. I guess at this point is not all that important.

I do thank you for your help.

Eric

OK here's how it works in Lightwave:

1)You can have two items in one layer and rotate them both.

2)You can select both layers as forground layers and rotate and they both will rotate.

There is no way to manipulate a layer that is in the BG.

The only excepetion to this is some tools such as aligner which allow you to manipulate BG layers in relation to the FG layer.

Any any other exception to this rule would be a special plugin.

It does not sound like the tutorial is using some special plugin.

With this information you can watch the video and use deduction to figure it out. Rotating the perspective view is the most obvious answer. Other wise it was either a) in the same layer or b) both layers were in the FG.

lots
03-28-2007, 12:27 PM
He was probably tumbling the perspective viewport as blindsided said.

Hold alt down, and left mouse click and drag around in the perspective view. Your cubes should rotate as one in the view port. Note: this is not altering the geometry any, just changing the point of view.

Surrealist.
03-28-2007, 12:53 PM
Ok. It must be in the perspective mode I guess, however I can tell you that clearly one had the wireframe look, the other not. And the layer buttons showed one in background. I guess at this point is not all that important.

Yeah, that confirms it. A BG layer only shows up in wireframe regardless of the view type.

And it does matter, if you saw, it you saw it.

It always helps to to clear up a confusion. By all means if you have any other questions along the way, bring 'em on.

Happy Modeling. :)

kirkeric
03-28-2007, 02:11 PM
Gentlemen,

Thanks for help. I've found this group here to be most professional when it comes to solving problems and getting assistance.

Now, I'm going to post a separate subject regarding coloring and texturing.

Thanks,

Eric

Yeah, that confirms it. A BG layer only shows up in wireframe regardless of the view type.

And it does matter, if you saw, it you saw it.

It always helps to to clear up a confusion. By all means if you have any other questions along the way, bring 'em on.

Happy Modeling. :)