PDA

View Full Version : LScript - For Beginners?

Digital Hermit
03-24-2007, 08:59 PM
Any good books or documentation out there that can help a novice get started?

Thanx

GregMalick
03-24-2007, 09:57 PM
Aloha DH,

Personally, the "LScript User Manual.pdf" has some great examples.
The "LScript Reference Manual.pdf" is exactly what the title says - a reference of the language syntax.

Layout LScripts are easier in my mind - especially since you can use LS Commander to actually see many commands being issued behind the scenes in Layout. Modeler has no such beastie and LScripts and plugins in Modeler cann;t be interactive (although there are cheats to fake it).

What programming language are you already familiar with?
If you are comfortable with compiling C programs, I would recommend making plugins with the SDK. LScript is interpreted and a quick & dirty way of doing things. The SDK is far less documented (in my eyes) but plugins run 10 times faster.

BTW this forum is a great resource.
Post a question about the kind of thing you are trying to do and you are just about guaranteed a response. Honestly, if you don't get a response within a couple days - it probably can't be done....

:beerchug:

Digital Hermit
03-25-2007, 12:30 AM
Thanx Greg,

To be honest I got my start in Visual Basic. However, I am no expert in that either.

The thing that has encouraged me, is all the scripting I have done when helping my son with his "Never Winter Nights" game program and all the stuff I forced the game to do - lol.

Anyway, with that experience, I have looked at some of the Lscripts and I could follow what was happening with quite a few of them... (Like I said I am no expert... but gimme some time :) )

Regards,