PDA

View Full Version : Possible hardware question - gurus?

Maxx
03-24-2007, 04:02 PM
If my SMBIOS is corrupted (as it apparantly is, according to a diagnostic I've run a couple times) is this something that can be cured via software update (and if so, where the heck do you find the downloads?) or is it faulty hardware? CPU or Mobo?

I've run Google searches up the yin-yang but only seem to return whitepapers and Microsoft Developers guides for using the SMBIOS, which really aren't helping me much.

Basically, I'm finding I can only use the Classic Camera with 2 threads (and even that locks my system sometimes) or one thread with the Perspective Camera.

System Specs:
Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLI Mobo
AMD Athlon X2 64 Dual Processor 4600+
2 gigs DDR 400 Mhz RAM

Thanks in advance for any advice.

nolan
03-24-2007, 05:30 PM
Maxx Have you tried booting from you XP disk and doing a repair? This should restore the msmbios file.

Here is a link to the MS site on running the "recovery console".

Nolan

Maxx
03-25-2007, 07:28 AM
nolan - no, believe it or not, i totally forgot about the possibility. I've been flashing my bios (which just sounds dirty), updating drivers for my mobo and cpu, and i forgot the simple stuff - Thanks! I'll give it a try today and let you know.

Maxx
03-27-2007, 05:32 AM
OK - that didn't work. I ended up doing a complete reinstall (which I'm still finishing up at this point :bangwall: ). Seems like it's a hardware issue - so, my question becomes this: Does anyone know if this is a CPU or mobo issue? I'd honestly never heard of SMBIOS before this entire thing, and I just want it fixed quickly - I figure I can pick up my current processor at newegg for about $125.00, and if that's the way to go then I shall...

BTW NT mods - sorry, I didn't think this was LW-specific enough to be placed in the General Support area - thanks for the move.