PDA

View Full Version : the changes Worley wants on the SDK

Ernest
06-21-2003, 03:22 AM
The G2 manual says that we can't preview surface changes in the realtime previews because the LW SDK doesn't let him (he has many other things that don't work quite as he envisions because of what the SDK let's doesn't let him do).
I'm not saying that Worley is the end-all authority in the LW SDK but he has been making very pro products for a long time so I don't think his comment is groundless.

And having a "complete" G2 is as important to NT as it is for me. Why? Because of the boasting privileges it would provide. If G2 could access the info that it can access now and the info that Viper can, and the other info Worley wants, then LW would be the only app that could give a SW-render-quality realtime preview of: all surface attibute changes, all HV volumetrics parameter changes, all lighting changes including volumetric lights, SSS, film grain, filters etc. And it would be all convinient without having to switch from viper to G2 and rerender for one and the other, etc that makes it cumbersome now. It would be a workflow that would be impossible to overlook.

Panikos
06-21-2003, 06:17 AM
Ernest, cant agree more, but ...

there is something that we have to consider.
Worley never releases his source code, for the same reason as LW developers and all developers that produce copyrighted fruits

Often Worley "reverse engineered" some algorithms in order to duplicate/understand how LW works.

Worley is not a Newtek employee. We are so lucky and happy he develops for us.

Good thing is that Worley Labs and Newtek relations are excellent and the community rushes to order Worley plugins.

cavalos
06-21-2003, 12:55 PM
It will be so cool if Worley and NT can make a contract about LW source code and give to Worley the privilege to scan all routines in LW rendering engine in order to make G2 more powerfull.

Best
Christian

Elmar Moelzer
06-21-2003, 01:18 PM
Yes, we other LW- developers share these oppinions. LWs SDK is lacking in many places not only in the one named. Getting all this done would enable 3rd- parties to do plugins you could not iamgine even in your wildest dreams.
CU
Elmar