PDA

View Full Version : Find/Edit object center X/Y/Z in Modeler

Felic
03-23-2007, 04:23 AM
I need to determine and edit the center point of several objects. Is there a window like Numeric (when you create) for existing objects?

Sorry for the basic (newbie) question, I've tried searching the documentation. I know that when I create an object, I can use the numeric window to edit its properties, and that there are move/size/stretch tools. But I can't figure out how to determine the current properties of an existing object in modeler. I found the Absolute Size tool, but what about the center X/Y/Z? I looked at the Aligner tool, but same thing, I can't figure out the current center point of the objects.

KiloWatkins
03-23-2007, 08:37 AM
Hit the "a" key per layer, but then the model would not be the same. So save the model as is, then goto the layer you want x,y,z and use the kby a key.

BeeVee
03-23-2007, 08:54 AM
You have Point center and Find Center in the Measure group in the Detail tab.

B

Felic
03-23-2007, 09:24 AM
Merci! :)

KiloWatkins
03-23-2007, 10:56 AM
So that is not the same as the 'a' key?

TIA

bob anderson
03-23-2007, 02:40 PM
The "center point" of any object is the 0,0,0 XYZ origin in Modeler. By default this acts as the center of the object in Layout unless you move the "pivot point" of the object. Usually when you finish building an object it's a good idea to hit F2, which places the object centered around this origin. the object may disappear from the screen when you do this, but the "a" key-equivalent (auto-fit) will move your point of view so you can see it again.

There are of course instances where you don't want the object centered. An example would be a clock pendulum. If it were centered, and you animated it swinging back and forth, it would move like a propeller. In this case, you would move the object down, until the 0,0,0 origin was at the point you want it to rotate from.

Hope this helps

Bob Anderson

Felic
03-24-2007, 01:35 AM
Thanks for the help. BeeVee's response will help me achieve what I'm trying to do. My project is building a reel to reel player. Maybe someone can suggest a better (simpler) method. I have constructed one reel, spool and tape on different layers. The center point for these objects is 0.6, 1.5, 0.6 (which I determined using the Point Center tool in the Detail tab). I want to duplicate the reel and spool across the Y axis on new layers. Is there a tool to do this? I was going to copy/paste and adjust the center point to -X.

Surrealist.
03-24-2007, 02:29 AM
I think you want the mirror tool for that. The mirror tool is found in the multiply tab under duplicate.

Also a good idea is to create your initial objects at center space, then move them into position. This will help in most cases and make many operations easier.

Felic
03-24-2007, 04:49 AM
Thanks Surrealist! That worked perfectly.