PDA

View Full Version : Is Skype worth it?

eagleeyed
03-22-2007, 09:12 PM
Hi, I am looking into buying a VOIP phone so I can use Skype for free and cheap calls. I have noticed alot of people have Skype on the forums so I am asking for their opinions on it. It probably won't be used much, just to make Skype to Skype calls, some national calls so my I am not paying the earth for my mobile and international calls once every two weeks to England from Australia. Thanks for your help.

One more question, can you use any voip phone to talk using Skype?

jameswillmott
03-22-2007, 09:44 PM
Skype is a regular part of my business, I just use a $20 headset from KMart and it works really well, even internationally.

It's free so you can't go wrong!

T-Light
03-22-2007, 09:58 PM
Skype's great :)
If you're making Skype to Skype calls make sure you both have decent connections though, breakup on an important call is a terrible thing (One of you will start sounding like a Darlek on mogodon).

Can't help you on the voip thing. I have a bluetooth headset and it's fantastic, hands free and you can walk away from the computer and make coffee etc. Bluetooth headsets are certainly worth looking into, although there's always the worry that you'll forget you're wearing it and go out in public :eek: :D

eagleeyed
03-23-2007, 01:19 AM
Thanks for your feedback. I will probably go out any buy one tomorrow.

radams
03-23-2007, 01:37 AM
Hi There,

Check out this link....

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Promotion_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1169671733418&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=3341844027B03

I like the CTI-400....

SKype has it ups and downs...customer service STINKS...but for the most part quality is great...but it does get intermittent at times...they are constantly updating it....

Good Luck...

Cheers,

eagleeyed
03-23-2007, 02:16 AM
Thanks for the link ramans.
Love the look of the iPhones but out of my price range. Am going to get a cheap phone first and if I like Skype will buy a better wireless one the whole family can use.

BeeVee
03-23-2007, 03:17 AM
I've been using Skype since version 0.87 when there were often as many as 80,000 people using it! :eek: (these days it's more like 9 million) Quality is normally fine, video calls are an absolute boon when you're away from home and want to speak to loved ones, especially overseas.

B

eagleeyed
03-23-2007, 03:52 AM
I have got Skype, am already working perfectly. Will go and buy a handset soon but at the moment am using my actual mixing board, professional mics and headphones to talk. Might keep using it because quality is great.

Fizzer
03-23-2007, 04:11 AM
Hi There,

Check out this link....

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Promotion_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1169671733418&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=3341844027B03

I like the CTI-400....

SKype has it ups and downs...customer service STINKS...but for the most part quality is great...but it does get intermittent at times...they are constantly updating it....

Good Luck...

Cheers,

I agree. Customer service is non existent! Skype to Skype is great. If you are considering buying Skype Out or Skype in credits read the Skype forums first. Gives you a taste of what things are like.

eagleeyed
03-23-2007, 04:47 AM
I already am the customer service. I am helping out in a Skypecast called Skype Help.

vsele
03-23-2007, 05:49 AM
I use Skype almost twice a week to say hello to my friends in Italy and it works fine....:thumbsup:

Verlon
03-23-2007, 04:10 PM
I use a Voip phone, but not Skype. I have no real problem with it, though you are adding a layer of possible failure to your phone service (power out OR cable out = no phone service).

For this, I wouldn't advise it without a backup plan (i.e. cel phone service at the place).

Lingo (www.lingo.com) gives me free service to US, Canada, and Western Europe (there is an Asian plan too, but its more expensive and I do not need it). Further, you can take that little Lingo box with you anywhere, and plug a phone into it so it rings at that location. One of my co-workers did that when she transferred to Singapore.

In this manner, she had a local number that her friends and family could call while she was half a world away.

For whatever it's worth....

jasonwestmas
03-23-2007, 04:30 PM
Had problems with Conferance Rooms in Skype, they kinda stunk. A group of 4 people outside of a conferance room is crystal though!

akademus
03-27-2007, 06:00 PM
I'm using skype to skype on almost everyday basis to talk from Oz to Europe and it's great, video calls are running pretty much well.
But for calling ground line numbers in europe i'm using firefly2 from www.freshtel.net Calls are quite cheap (some 4 cents per minute to germany), I used it the other they to talk to my family in germany and we were speaking for 1.5 hour for some 3.5 AUD. And it never crashed (as Skype sometimes do).
Hope this might help