PDA

View Full Version : Other programs and light wave.

videoboyje
03-22-2007, 05:51 PM
I started learing animation and 3D modeling in google sketch up. I was just wondering if it was possible to take files from that program and import them in to light wave 9. Another question i had for you guys , if you have used sketchup, is what do you think is easier to work with lightwave 9 or sketch up. Thanks for the help.

Nicolas Jordan
03-22-2007, 05:56 PM
If you purchased Sketchup you should have a few export options. You should be able to export a .dxf to get your model into Lightwave. If you just have the trial version I don't think it will let you export anything.

Magnush
03-23-2007, 03:57 AM
Sketchup 5 will let you export to OBJ, 3DS and a bunch of AutoCAD formats

nthused
03-23-2007, 07:37 AM
I've received several models from SketchUp in the 3ds format. Have heard from some that the OBJ is better.

manholoz
03-23-2007, 09:32 AM
I've received several models from SketchUp in the 3ds format. Have heard from some that the OBJ is better.
AFAIK 3ds can save basic camera and basic light information. However, polygon-wise, it is very limited. Obj is a much better choice in that department

BigHache
03-23-2007, 12:07 PM
do you think is easier to work with lightwave 9 or sketch up. Thanks for the help.

It can depend on how complicated your model is. Sketchup is really convenient if you're working with architects or receiving DWG construction documents.