PDA

View Full Version : Large file transfer in Windows.

JustinMarson
03-22-2007, 04:29 PM
I think I have a windows issue. I have an external hard drive with about 90gb free and I have a rendered video clip that is about 10gb. But when I attempt to copy the file from my hard drive to the external I get an error that says that there is not enough space to make the transfer. I am thinking that it must be some kind of windows setting, but I don't know where to look. By the way, I have no problem copying from the external to my hard drive. :question: Any suggestions out there?

Thanks,
Justin

Lightwolf
03-22-2007, 04:39 PM
If the external drive is formatted using FAT32 then you've just hit a limit of the file system (max. 2GB per file). Reformat as NTFS and it should work (won't be readable from a MAC though, at least not easily).
If it is NTFS already them I'm stumped...

Cheers,
Mike

JustinMarson
03-22-2007, 05:06 PM
Mike,

The external is FAT32. I am in the process of transferring the files from the external so that I can reformat it. I'll let you know how it goes once the process is complete.

Thank you.
-Justin

Lightwolf
03-22-2007, 05:11 PM
There is a windows command line tool called "convert" which converts a FAT32 to a NTFS drive without reformating it (Windows itself uses it if you install windows on a Fat32 drive and want that changed when installing).

Cheers,
Mike

JustinMarson
03-23-2007, 01:30 AM
Thank you Mike. Your solution worked perfectly!

-Justin

Lightwolf
03-23-2007, 04:38 AM
Thank you Mike. Your solution worked perfectly!

:jam: great :D

Cheers,
Mike