PDA

View Full Version : FiberFactory IV question

prospector
03-21-2007, 03:44 PM
Looked for FAQ for errors on FF site and found none so here I am. 8~

I can't seem to get FF to render hair if it is in same layer as main object (ie: gorl and hair), so I put hair object on layer 2 and parented to layer1.

In layout I got layer 2 to show up in FF panel, but as soon as I activated it I got "body strand mismatch", layout locked (hard and reboot needed to get out of it).

Anyone know what this means?

Phil
03-22-2007, 12:23 AM
The body strand mismatch error occurs because you edited the hair. There is now an issue somewhere that you have a different number of roots compared to strands. You'll need to fix that up. I suspect a quick visit to the statistics window in each layer will clear things up. Cut and paste the offending geometry into the same layer as the rest of your hair and it should sort things out.

The lock up error is, I think, new to me.

I haven't spent much time in Windows recently, so need to investigate the other problem later today,

T-Light
03-22-2007, 01:52 AM
Sounds like you might have made a 'Brent' error
The Brent error works like this
Select your hair poly's and use Ctrl+Right square bracket to select all the rest.
Cut and paste to a new layer.

Don't know how many times I used to do that, what really annoys me is I STILL DO IT!!!

When you use the right bracket to select the rest of the geometry it doesn't select the last 'single point poly' in the chain. The lack of the single point poly causes the problem.

Don't know why your machine would need a reboot though, can't remember having anything like that before.

prospector
03-22-2007, 06:30 AM
well, dunno bout polys yet.
Tried 3 more times before these answers, same results...hard lock

finally Windows quit loading after so many restarts, so reloading windows on that compy.

Phil
03-22-2007, 08:10 AM
Send the object to Jon, if you can. He'll know about the root issue, but the hardlock might indicate you managed to break the plugin in even more sophisticated ways :D

I should be able to have a bash in FF4 later today. Assuming that I haven't fallen through a timewarp and received FPrime 3 around 3 days ahead of schedule.

calilifestyle
03-22-2007, 05:21 PM
Hey i been looking at this plug. can any of u tell me on the average what kind of rendering times are ypou guys getting from this plug and

prospector
03-23-2007, 12:13 AM
Well back up and running.
Tried same object...crash ! but not hard this time, just back to desktop...WHEW!!

Second, tried just the hair part after checking in modeler if there was a root poly point for every hair strand.......there was

and crash to desktop.

I'm lost

Phil
03-23-2007, 12:16 AM
Hair tends to render in less than 1 or 2 minutes, even for really insane amounts of fiber. I've pushed the fiber count sufficiently high to max out my 2 GB of RAM and it still renders very quickly.

Where the time generally goes is in two areas :

- Gathering the memory - this happens in two places depending on how you use the plugin. It happens when the frame starts rendering (to create the voxels used to support raytracing) and then when the pixel filter starts up. The really memory hungry bit is the first part where the voxels need to be created. This is tunable, but it's quite easy to overload your machine.

- Fiber rendering. This is actually very fast. That's the 1-2 minutes noted above. I think the longest time it took was around 2 minutes to render 4 million fibers on a 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo. This was with a single thread - current builds of FF4 don't seem to run multithreaded; this has been reported.

Phil
03-23-2007, 12:17 AM
Well back up and running.
Tried same object...crash ! but not hard this time, just back to desktop...WHEW!!

Second, tried just the hair part after checking in modeler if there was a root poly point for every hair strand.......there was

and crash to desktop.

I'm lost

Can you mail me the object, perhaps? I'll do my best to take a look at it and get you up and running.

phil ~AT~ ldex {dot} terica [dot] net

calilifestyle
03-23-2007, 02:41 PM
thnx i like alot of what i see on the website pix so i might make the buy in couple months. the price seems good and quilty looks great.

prospector
03-23-2007, 03:38 PM
Ok, couldn't get that wig to run...all strands had a corrisponding root.

Made a wig in FF....man was that easy :thumbsup:
Had a girls pixie style in about 10 min and it RENDERS !!!! :D

So FF does work great (cept for that sas wig)

Tried different settings (so many to choose from), got it somehow to 7.5 million hairs and rendered in only 7 min and 43 sec :D
a more normal 1.5 to 2 million renders in less than 2 min but I have to redesign hair as I am getting little tuff spots (hair grouped in small spots and not completly covering, looks like rows of corn stalks :D )

The styler in modeler is so pathetically easy to use that I keep thinking I'm doing something wrong to get results so fast.

I think I'll actually read the manual on this proggy, just to see all that can be done which is a first for me (you know men and manuals :hey: )

Jon did an amazing job with this plugin.

Saw the Proton pics using weights and will give that a go so I can see if I can get those really really fine hairs on a womans sideburn area AND still get the longer and thicker main hairs.

CAClark
03-23-2007, 03:43 PM
hairs on a womans sideburn

hehe That is so very wrong!

prospector
03-23-2007, 03:51 PM
hehe That is so very wrong!

HeHe :D
You know what I mean...those barely visible hairs in front of the ear.

Thay called something different on women?

jasonwestmas
03-23-2007, 03:58 PM
HeHe :D
You know what I mean...those barely visible hairs in front of the ear.

Thay called something different on women?

Peach Fuzz?

prospector
03-24-2007, 07:36 AM
New Problem..read manual and saw nothing for this and haven't see tuts for it yet either....soooooo

got a long hair wig made
in layout got dynamics put to it
nothing happens :eek:

tried all the timing settings Last, after bones, after displacement, after motion.
I'm pretty sure I saw clothFX on some of the vids but no links work now on website.

If anyone has put clothFX on hair, could you tell me what needs to be set?

I get the guides to work but the hair won't move as seen in pics....

First one frame 0
second is after cloth is calculated

gjjackson
03-24-2007, 10:53 PM
Did you save a motion file.

OFF
03-24-2007, 11:14 PM
in displacement tab place the dynamic first, and the sasquath second

T-Light
03-24-2007, 11:25 PM
It's a touch awkward but...
Save your motion file
Set the drop down in the same panel to "local"
(LW isn't on at the minute but I think that's it) :)

prospector
03-25-2007, 12:25 PM
tried and getting
'PFX for LW9 (no dynamics)' when hitting calculate button

prospector
03-25-2007, 12:54 PM
Well, tried and tried and am not seeing results
Should be so simple.
I got the cloth FX
I got the hair the way I want

I just can't get them to match up :bangwall:

Maby someone can see where I am going wrong?
CRAP!!! zips not uploading

prospector
03-25-2007, 12:55 PM
Nother

prospector
03-25-2007, 12:57 PM
HMMMM limit is 19 megs but won't upload a 4 meg file :cry: :censored: :bangwall: :cursin:

prospector
03-25-2007, 12:59 PM
maby it will work with just that scene as I closed down layout, loaded just the scene I uploaded and it seems to have dynamics in it.

I hope

prospector
03-25-2007, 03:06 PM
well just had the scene done with Sasquash and cept for changing names (root and hair), it renders automatically to the clothFX, so it has to be something I am not doing right with FiberFactory.

dangit, back to banging keyboard :cry: