PDA

View Full Version : The Matrix comes to HD DVD

Imatk
03-21-2007, 03:31 PM
http://www.videobusiness.com/blog/1650000165.html

Only a boxed set now but still pretty cool.

Martin Adams
03-21-2007, 05:32 PM
... with Blue Ray coming later this year. Bet these movies are going to be awesome in HD.

borkus
03-21-2007, 07:33 PM
only thing that bugs me is that i'm paying $100 minimum for one movie i liked. granted, one of my favs of all time. but, still, 2 and 3 did pretty much suck... (except for the highway scene in 2. very cool!!!!!!!!!!!). but, again, i'll probably fork out the dough to get the first one in hd. sorry for being pessimistic.

lesterfoster
03-21-2007, 09:22 PM
I liked #3 best of all. Then #1. And the highway scene in #2 was the only good part. I think.

Verlon
03-21-2007, 11:47 PM
As far as it goes... I'll take HD DVD over BD (and I have both formats available to me). Load times on the Blue Ray player are just ridiculous (4 minutes for a regular DVD up to around 8 for some BD titles IF it reads it the first time, and it doesn't always).

in fact, I would trade every BD title I have for an HD DVD version. If for some reason, you feel the other way, pm me and maybe we can trade.

Bog
03-22-2007, 03:57 AM
I'm concerned that a minor mis-spelling makes it read "Blu-Rry".

I'm surprised, though - the first Matrix film was great, really groundbreaking and special. The second two were quite dull, in my opinion. Am I just being curmudgeonly?

Verlon
03-22-2007, 05:50 AM
Well, the first one was ground-breaking in many ways, and it established a look and a set of rules that the others had to follow.

Unfortunately, between the first and the second movie, EVERYBODY copied, recopied and beat that look/feel into the ground. So it wasn't exactly as amazing when the second one came out.

CAClark
03-22-2007, 06:44 AM
#1 was best, but the other 2 had enough cool vfx and one line quips to make them enjoyable as well.

Cheers!

CAClark
03-22-2007, 06:45 AM
Am I just being curmudgeonly?

Tell me what that means, and I'll tell you if you are :D

Cheers!

Bog
03-22-2007, 07:07 AM
It's word-of-the-day time!

Curmudgeonly (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/curmudgeonly)

;)

Signal to Noise
03-22-2007, 08:35 AM
HD-DVD
Blu-Ray

Who cares?:sleeping:

CoryC
03-22-2007, 10:48 AM
As far as it goes... I'll take HD DVD over BD (and I have both formats available to me). Load times on the Blue Ray player are just ridiculous (4 minutes for a regular DVD up to around 8 for some BD titles IF it reads it the first time, and it doesn't always).

in fact, I would trade every BD title I have for an HD DVD version. If for some reason, you feel the other way, pm me and maybe we can trade.

Sounds like you have a defective player. I have not had a single issue loading Blu Ray movies. I put it in and it starts up right away.

Verlon
03-22-2007, 11:07 AM
Sony doesn't seem to think its an issue. GRRRR.

CoryC
03-22-2007, 11:10 AM
If you are getting 4-8 minute startup times that is an issue. I would start asking for supervisors at that point. It should be near instant. Are you using a BD player or a PS3? On the PS3, as soon as I click the BD icon, it starts playing the First Play.

Verlon
03-22-2007, 12:17 PM
dedicated Sony BD player.

ghostlight
03-26-2007, 08:32 PM
The reason the first Matrix was better than the others: storytelling. In the first movie, we're afraid for the characters' lives! The Oracle says "one of you is going to die." Holy CRAP! And NOBODY who's ever fought an agent has lived. That's kinda frightening. Plus, the matrix itself was an amazing idea that was slowly revealed throughout the film.

In the second and third movies, doesn't it seem like everyone's invincible all of a sudden? Nobody shouts or emotes anymore, they all just talk like robots. Nobody's afraid. Morpheous fights the agent on the truck like it's no biggie. I remember Morpheous in the first film fighting Smith and getting destroyed.

Okay, there's nothing like some good action. I personally have to watch the 100-Smith courtyard fight every now and then. That's good stuff. But you can do almost ANYTHING with your mind and control the world of the martix.... yet the best you can come up with is mid-air kung-fu? Hmmm...

Bitboy
03-27-2007, 08:20 PM
Load times on the Blue Ray player are just ridiculous (4 minutes for a regular DVD up to around 8 for some BD titles IF it reads it the first time, and it doesn't always).

Ok, this just sounds like there's something wrong with your player. Having just received the PS3 and put my first Blu-Ray disc (The Fantastic 4) into it it starts immediately with no problems. And you have a dedicated player so my first reaction is that is should be better than the PS3 at handling Blu-Ray discs since that's the thing it's made for. I haven't tried DVD's in the PS3 but I'll test with some DVD's later to see if there's a difference, just out of curiosity.

I hate it when new tech act up. Sorry to hear that you've got trouble with it.