PDA

View Full Version : DV Capture Audio sync problems

INOV8Pro
06-20-2003, 07:02 PM
Hey:

I've just recently captured a project from my Sony Mini DV Walkman. The video and audio seem to be out of sync. I know that during switching there is a delay, when using firewire, between audio and video. I didn't think this was the case in capture mode. Do I need to capture from my composit out puts? Will I lose quality this way? I had previously capture another project via firewire and there didn't seem to be any delay. I'll have to go back and check it.

Any help appreciated.

Paul

Some day it is my dream to understand in depth what the guys are talking about on the progressive vs interlaced problem.

Scott Bates
06-21-2003, 06:15 AM
Since no one else has jumped in yet I'll take a shot, but don't guarantee the results since I've never tried a):

a) I believe others have said you need to transfer the video via firewire, but capture the audio analog, preferably through an external mixer.

b) Yes, capture via component or y/c. I do both and don't see a difference vs firewire (which I rarely use). The added benefit is that you can tweak the incoming video and audio which you cannot do via firewire since the latter is simply a transfer of the digital data, not capture as we normally understand the term.

mgrusin
06-21-2003, 11:02 AM
I had problems with this when I tried my first firewire capture (audio seemed to get further out of sync throughout the hour-long capture). It could have been that it was from a PAL camera, or that it was using MS's "toy" capture util, but since then I've only done analog captures and they look very nice.

Tips: use an S-video cable (YC) not composite, and put the source on and capture from the Main bus for best audio lock.

PS, I believe I read that VT3 improves on DV capturing, so this may work better in the future.

-MG

Paul Lara
06-21-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by mgrusin
PS, I believe I read that VT3 improves on DV capturing, so this may work better in the future.

A BIG improvement in VT [3].
Full frame-accurate batch capture, with timecode, and it is merely copying the data to the hard drive, without decompressing it.

INOV8Pro
06-21-2003, 11:38 PM
Thanks Guys:

I was finally able to get the sync. I captured the video firewire and brought the analog in through the mixer. I do have another question though. One of my experiments was to capture YC and anolog through the BOB with my Sony DV walkman as the source. However, the YC input seemed to have subtle ghost vertical lines in the background. What would cause that. Any ideas?

I'm drooling over the V3 and I'm still just a newbie with the V2.

Thanks for the help.

Paul

Paul Lara
06-22-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by INOV8Pro
...the YC input seemed to have subtle ghost vertical lines in the background. What would cause that?

Paul,

My first suspicion would be rf noise entering unshielded cables.

INOV8Pro
06-22-2003, 04:13 PM
I'll try moving the cable away form any power cables. Maybe that will do it.

Paul

mann1970
06-25-2003, 02:25 PM
I am having similar problem. I am capturing live interview using BoB, (capturing as RTV) switching between cameras. Once we are done and put my 10 minute long clip on the timeline, my audio is not in synch with the video. This synch issue is very noticable in the later part of the clip. Is their any fix for this issue.

Thanks
Gary

David
08-09-2005, 12:59 AM
Question? In VT[3]

If I use the Batch Capture and select DV(Type 2) and uncompressed PCM Audio in the regular capture window will the Batch Capture Window use the same properties as the regular capture or are the properties for Batch Capture located somewhere else?