PDA

View Full Version : e-mailed samples: how large?

Johnny
03-21-2007, 12:28 PM
I'm about to e-mail jpgs of some of my 3D illustrations to prospective clients who've said they prefer samples e-mailed to them, rather than physical mailers.

I'm grappling with the idea of how large the samples ought to be. I have what I think is a good balance between file size and physical, impact-producing screen size: it looks good to me, and I know it won't produce that much e-mail overhead.

Now, not that I think I'm God's gift to illustration, but I have had prospects come right out and insist that I ought to *give* them 3D illustrations of mine because "it's already done and you've made your money off it!!"

Yeah, that's right. "Give" them away.

Makes me think that some recipients of my samples might also feel free to help themselves to my stuff, and that I ought to either size the samples down or integrate type (my contact info, client quotes) into the design to discourage that.

Any thoughts on this?

thank you!

J

hrgiger
03-21-2007, 12:51 PM
I would send out a fairly high quality sample so they can get an idea of what the end result may be but I would definately watermark it or logo over the meat of it to protect your work.

Steamthrower
03-21-2007, 12:52 PM
It's probably a matter of what the subject of your samples is, and who your prospects are. If they plan to use your work for print, they're not going to be able to do much with even a 600x800 sample. But if they are going to use it for web, it'd be a perfect size for them :)

Silkrooster
03-21-2007, 04:23 PM
I agree with hrgiger, place a water mark across the face of the image. After all they are asking for a sample not the actual image. Also remember the only way they know that you already have done the work is if you tell them. Other than that, they have already seen the sample, so none would need to be sent.
Its a good idea to put together some kind of portfolio for clients to look at just to show what you are capable of doing. BTW a portfolio could be a flash slide show, as flash images can be somewhat more secure than jpgs.
Good luck,
Silk

Steamthrower
03-21-2007, 04:35 PM
Even flash images can be copied by use of the Prnt Scrn key. And if they want your images enough to ''steal'' them, that wouldn't be too much trouble for someone to do.

Silkrooster
03-21-2007, 04:37 PM
Even flash images can be copied by use of the Prnt Scrn key. And if they want your images enough to ''steal'' them, that wouldn't be too much trouble for someone to do.
Thats why I said "somewhat" more secure. This is why it is important to add a watermark.
Silk

Bog
03-21-2007, 05:43 PM
"How big do you want your emailed sample?"

"72 DPI"

*Bursts into tears*

;)

I'd say 1024x768, watermarked. Very obviously watermarked. Text only needs to be 95-odd percent transparent to still be obvious across an image. As Silkrooster points out, locks keep honest men honest but don't deter determined theives.

Steamthrower
03-21-2007, 05:49 PM
"How big do you want your emailed sample?"

"72 DPI"

*Bursts into tears*

Oh, that killed me it was so funny. Oh the lack of logical & informed customers in this world. Heaven has to be better.

Bog
03-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Get yourself a sizable beverage, pull up a pew and enjoy.... (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64384)