PDA

View Full Version : Slug Bug Blue

IZZE
03-21-2007, 09:10 AM
This was a test. I gave myself two weeks to get this project as close to completed as possible. I worked several hours a night after the day job and had the full weekends to work on it. This is my second attempt at modeling a vehicle. I found it to be very fun.

I was inspired by a low rider van that I saw in my town. I completed the low rider wheels and all, but felt that it looked better with the old school wheels. I may add a dummy steering wheel and seats just to have a feel for a interior, but I never planned to get that far in only two weeks.

I spent a lot of time on the tire tread and tried several different techniques. I think I can get a quick setup going with C_Bend, but I am still working out the kinks. How do other people model tire tread? With Bend? What a pain.

I also had trouble with the head light covers. Trying to get those vertical lines. Not sure how to get that done. Anyway, here it is. Hope someone likes it.

http://spiderwebdesignstudio.com/body/slugbug.jpg

fireworker76
03-21-2007, 10:23 PM
that looks really really good

spec24
03-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Is that single hinge up front enough to carry the load of that door :D Very cool. Would love to own one :)

RudySchneider
03-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Is that single hinge up front enough to carry the load of that door :D Very cool. Would love to own one :)

Actually, it looks like there was a little artistic license taken. The front of the bus, and the door itself, seem a bit more streamlined than the true VW bus was. In fact, I believe the right-side mirror was part of the upper hinge assembly.

IZZE
03-22-2007, 05:58 PM
Thank you for the feedback. The front door is a little streamlined and the vents in the back are going out instead of in, but it is still pretty close to the original. I'm not sure what to call it, but the front door has a "swing arm" that goes inside the dash to hold the upper part of the door. I was wondering if someone would mention that, because I thought it looked a little strange myself. The side doors have the same swing arm as well. I found a few refrence pictures that showed it on the web.

Here is the reference pict that I used.

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

http://www.spiderwebdesignstudio.com/body/Refrence.jpg

adrian
03-23-2007, 11:53 AM
Great modelling!

CAClark
03-25-2007, 10:29 AM
I used the bend tool to model this tyre, and it was a pain!

Cheers!

Eric Walters
03-25-2007, 11:15 AM
Looks great IZZE!

Eric

This was a test. I gave myself two weeks to get this project as close to completed as possible. I worked several hours a night after the day job and had the full weekends to work on it. This is my second attempt at modeling a vehicle. I found it to be very fun.

I was inspired by a low rider van that I saw in my town. I completed the low rider wheels and all, but felt that it looked better with the old school wheels. I may add a dummy steering wheel and seats just to have a feel for a interior, but I never planned to get that far in only two weeks.

I spent a lot of time on the tire tread and tried several different techniques. I think I can get a quick setup going with C_Bend, but I am still working out the kinks. How do other people model tire tread? With Bend? What a pain.

I also had trouble with the head light covers. Trying to get those vertical lines. Not sure how to get that done. Anyway, here it is. Hope someone likes it.

http://spiderwebdesignstudio.com/body/slugbug.jpg