PDA

View Full Version : how to make straw packing material

Johnny
03-21-2007, 09:03 AM
of the kind pottery might be shipped in in a crate?

yeah, I know, styrofoam peanuts are the norm today, but I want to make this straw or raffia stuff for aesthetic purposes.

any thoughts? would you model a bunch of cylinders, deform them and somehow arrange them into the crate?

at lease for now, I just need a few pieces tufting out of the top of the crate, and maybe a couple stray pieces here and there on the floor.

thanks for any ideas!

J

monfoodoo
03-21-2007, 09:36 AM
Hey ,i'd like to know that myself.I couldn't figure that out when it was needed for a weapons crate last year.Scott

bob anderson
03-21-2007, 01:45 PM
I've done similar things by creating a segmented cylinder, and by using various jitter tools with falloff.

Bob Anderson

Maxx
03-22-2007, 07:54 AM
Sasquatch or SasLight maybe?

cyphyr
03-22-2007, 09:46 AM
Look for the thread on Spaghetti, similar to straw but squidgy :)

cyphyr

Tom Wood
03-22-2007, 10:41 AM
That would be this thread:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61716

Page two of the thread has a sample model.

MonroePoteet
03-22-2007, 03:49 PM
You might have luck with the following technique:

1) Use Random Points to "spray" points into a layer
2) Adjust the shape / size of the point cloud to what you need
3) Locate a point on the outside of the cloud that you can find again, copy it to another layer. I found it was easier to move the "start point" outside the cloud
4) In the point cloud layer, select the same point, then holding SHIFT down, surround the rest of the points.
5) Press CTRL-P to form a really convoluted poly-chain. Because you selected one point first, and then the rest, the poly-chain will start at the singly-selected point.
6) In the single-point layer, put the poly-chain in the background, create a tiny square around the single (starting) point, and rotate it to align with the poly chain
7) Use rail-extrude to form "spaghetti"

mTp