PDA

View Full Version : Just got LW/DFX+ upgrade - no dongle?

bbutterf
06-20-2003, 05:39 PM
I just got my first copy of LW, a copy of LW5.6 with the LW7.5/DFX+ upgrade.

I recieved the following: Lightwave 7.5 CD, two DFX+ books, a DFX+ CD pack and a dongle marked DFX+. All in a DFX+ box.

No dongle marked for LW7.5.

As this is now after 5pm Friday, and the technical support line is now closed, I wanted to ask anyone if I am missing something. I went ahead and installed the DFX+ dongle, no help in installing LW (I assumed that perhaps, this was a special LW/DFX+ dongle?).

Was I supposed to receive a parallel or a USB style dongle for LW? I thought the new ones were USB, but do not know for sure.

Help, or clarification, would be appreciated.

Byron :( :( :(

TyVole
06-20-2003, 07:00 PM
The (parallel) dongle should be part of the 5.6 package. 7.5 will use this dongle after you register it with NewTek and they send you a license key.

bbutterf
06-20-2003, 07:13 PM
Because I recieved both the 5.6 package and the 7.5 upgrade, Safe Harbor always removes the 5.6 dongle per their standard practice.

I just read an email from Safe Harbor stating that they just found out earlier today NewTek is not supplying the dongle with this upgrade package.

Now I have to wait, until Tuesday at the earliest, to begin with LW7.5. I have been waiting since May 17th for my order since the LW upgrade was on backorder. I happended to read abou tthe DFX+ offer the day they got my backorder. I revised the order and It took until today to get LW. I am staring at the boxes...

I know... I hope... it will be worth the wait.

Arrgghhh....

Byron

riki
06-20-2003, 07:24 PM
Can you work with the Discovery version for a few days while you get it sorted?

bbutterf
06-20-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by riki

Knowing no better, I assumed the Demo version was crippled such that I could not save. I am looking at this now.

What are the limitations of the Discovery edition?

Byron

riki
06-20-2003, 07:42 PM
Edited (Sorry I've deleted this post)

bbutterf
06-20-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by riki

Knowing no better, I assumed the Demo version was crippled such that I could not save. I am looking at this now.

Byron

riki
06-20-2003, 09:39 PM
Edited (Sorry I've deleted this post)

Chuck
06-20-2003, 11:13 PM
Upgrade packages never contain dongles. Upgrades are only sold, after all, to LightWave users who have a full seat of a previous version and therefore have a dongle. I have no idea why Safe Harbor would be removing any dongles from full packages that they are selling, regardless of the generation of the full package.

TyVole
06-21-2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by bbutterf

Byron

I believe you'll only be able to save objects with 200 (or 400) points.

I can believe sharbor would do something like that. I've never had a good experience with them. They do have great prices, though.

blinblue
06-21-2003, 04:08 PM
In this case, since you payed for everything, is it legal to download lightwave off kazaa (or similar) and us the cracker version, so you wouldn't need a dongle? If it is legal then that would be a good temporary fix, if it isn't, then do not do it.