PDA

View Full Version : Restrict Motion to objects surface ~ How ?

cyphyr
03-20-2007, 05:10 PM
Need help urgently, deadlines etc.
How can I restrict an objects motion to the surface of another object. I want to move a nulls above accross a mash so that the null touches the mesh at all times, so it slides accross it. The mesh is a lumpy landscape provided by my client and itself must not be altered. I'm sure this is easy but I cant work it out at the moment.
Thanks in advance
cyphyr

arsad
03-20-2007, 06:21 PM
If you're using LW9 try "sticky" (Motionmodifier) should do exactly what you need/want

Surrealist.
03-20-2007, 07:19 PM
Yes, apply the sticky to the null and then sticky surface to the surface. Create directional keyframes (laterally accross the surface) and it will stick to the surface in the direction that the surface is facing.

prospector
03-20-2007, 07:23 PM
is easy

in modeler, highlite points on where you want the object to go.

hit 'CTRL-P', this makes a curve

use curve2motion (free on Flays site)

save motion and use it on the object in layout.
It will follow landscape exactly (you may need to adjust keyframes depending on how dense landscape is (ie: points to make curve)

prospector
03-20-2007, 07:26 PM
About last point above

if making keys would be too dificult, you *could* make a copy of landscape, set subdivision in modeler the same as your render subdivision (NOT VIEW), then highlite points and follow above.

it will then follow landscape exactly without extra keyframing.

cyphyr
03-20-2007, 07:49 PM
Thanks guys, I think the "Sticky" solution is working. 2000 frames of preview later I'll know. Personally I think the whole concept of a camera following a landscape is a waste of time, it'll look terrible, but the client is very specific, camera track has to be 2 meters above the landscape at all times. I think were in for a bumpy ride.
cyphyr